FN-49 Owner's Room

SAFN query

Hi folks, I am new to the forums.

Some years ago I purchased an FN 49, at the time I thought it was a Hakim. I do not think it is original, at least in the stock.

The receiver has a crown stamped on it, with apparently arabic letters in parentheses below it. To the right of this is a star over an L below which is a verticle line and what looks like a 'V'.

On the other side is a line of characters looking like a backward 7, an A without the cross bar, a warped I, and another backward 7.

Below those are numbers; 2813 and just below and to the right of those are 'Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre - Herstal - Belgique'

The rear sight leaf has numerals in what appears to be arabic.

The gas plug also has what appears to be arabic characters.

The stock appears to be some white wood, like beech, which has been stained walnut. The but is plastic, without the trapdoor. There is no armorer's coin.

I was told it is chambered for 8,mm Mauser and the ammo recommended was Serbian.

I finally have it all cleaned up and ready to rock. Question is, what is this? An actual Egyptian rifle or something cobbled together?

Siani

Photos:

DSCF0478.jpg

DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0480.jpg

DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

Hope this works.

Oh yes, I paid 250.00 for this one. I have the (supposedly) original cleaning kit..a tube with a bore brush on a long cord is in it. I have the gas adjustment tool..at the moment the gas tube is wide open as I haven't yet had a chance to set the action on it. I was offered a bayonet not long ago. I think it is a very attractive rifle. The lands are quite prominent, there is no pitting or exceptional wear in the barrel that I can see.

Siani

Last edited:
Same Egyptian as mine: (and standard 8mm x 57 Mauser)

205dukm.jpg

The last of the elegant old world battle rifles.

Watch out for the wrist of the stock cracking on you because of how they evidently just soaked these things in bore cleaner/gun oil and cosmoline. I finally just completely rebuilt that section of stock and bedded the receiver to even out the strain. No big deal.

34ql0sk.jpg

(The circles are interlocking hardwood dowels all the way through top-to-bottom, and the longer blond strip(s) covers steel rods/both sides inlaid w/ epoxy/shredded glass.)

In won't fail there again. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Good to know it is what I thought it was. I'll keep an eye on the wrist of the stock, yes indeed. I am not sure this stock is the original though; no armorer's disc and the buttplate is plastic, not brass and has no trapdoor. The wood, as I say, appears to be beech or some other blond wood that has been stained walnut. If I ever find a walnut stock for it, I'll nab it..or I may have a friend have a go with his shop, if he is willing...hmmmmm.

I should be taking her out for gas adjustment and sighting in with a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to it.

Glad I found this place. :)

I saw a number of these at a gun show some time ago; they were running around 800 dollars apiece. I did not check to see if they were Egyptian or not.

Siani

Last edited:
Next question; did they use bandoliers for the ammo, cartridge belt pouches, or what? Stripper clips were used for the K 98 if memory serves so perhaps something like that would work as well here.

Siani

Cool, I didn't know there was a FN-49 club :) It'd be cool if this was in the Semi-auto section, where it might get some more looks. The FN49 is probably one of, if not the last "curio and relic" as-issued military arm we'll be able to get.

I have a Luxembourg 30-06 that is a joy to shoot; easily the best stock of my milsurps (K31's and VZ58 folder), as much fun to shoot as my FNAR, and as pretty (if not more so) than any Garand. Recently picked up some ancient dies for 30-06, so I'll be getting to shoot it even more now :D

Obligatory pics:
P7150032small.jpg

P7150048small.jpg

TCB

Very nice!

The only thing that drives me nuts about my SAFN is the dratted screw that holds the bracket holding the upper forward guard in place. I get it off easily enough, to access the gas sleeve, but when it comes time to put the thing back on, the screw doesn't line up and it takes forever with much tinkering and sometimes unladylike language to get the dratted screw back in. I have come close to using a cotter pin or something, for pity's sake.

Running a rod through the holes in the bracket they line up so it isn't bent so far as I can tell. The screw isn't warped. But line up like it ought to without a lot of aggravation? Nope. Weird.

Bad with the good and all that I guess.

Siani

This one that I have is an Early Egyptian Contract, low 4 digit serial # and
is all matching numbers. Came with some extra parts and original FN49 TM manual. Its been a great shooter for me and always attacts attention at the range...

FN49-c_zps5f41f48d.jpg

FN49-2_zpsa6de6825.jpg

FN49-a_zps77333622.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rifle, and welcome! I dig the flash hider on those Egyptian guns :cool:
My 30-06 Luxembourg is kinda plain by comparison (and by noise, too, I suppose :D). What kind of groups have you been getting?

If you don't have the no-breaky two piece firing pin, be sure to grab one of those from Numrich so you don't risk slamfires one day

TCB

Thanks BarnBWT appreciate the comment

The Flash Hider does help a lot in groupings, I have gotten 1.7 - 1.5 average groups with it. Ive already updated the firing pin to the 2 piece pin and keept the original as spare. Changed out the weak firing pin spring and that made a nice difference.

I finally locate the actual flash hider most commonly found the the Vennie model FN49 so I plan on changing it over to that one when it comes in and see what groups I get on it and if it makes a difference.

LOL, sure does help on the noise some that I will say.....

Excited to find this thread. Im almost done putting my grandfathers al fn49 back together. Pics and a field report soon to follow.

If you live within range of Newnan, south of Atlanta, you might call and visit "Coyote Arms". They sold me a really good Enfield #4/Mk.1. at a show, very reasonable price, matching bolt, and with a bayo.

Very nice owner, and a family member is a mortician. I like these people.
Think about it-people in That profession hear about Lots of interesting guns etc for sale or disposal....

Last summer at the show up in Gwinnett GA, Coyote Frank had a very nice FN-49, though with a scope attached.

Last edited:
That is a TRUE beauty, GySgt!

I've been a little wary them based on the reliability problems a friend of mine had with a high mileage one. But one these days, I'll have one..

Thank you Fairwarning, I appreciate the compliment.

Having upgraded the original one piece firing pin to the 2 piece set
and a fresh firing pin spring. I went replaced the original outer recoil spring and the 2 inner recoil spring with fresh ones improved the functioning beyond what I expected. It runs like a fine watch... :)

Where is a good place to buy a 49. I used to see many of them
listed in Shotgun News years ago, not anymore.

Back