First sw k model you have owned

Okay, I'll play...

It was exactly like this and would have been mid 1970's

5515036037_6336b0946e.jpg

Now the real hoot is...

Everyone complains about the current state of S&W's quality assurance and manufacturing. My model 19 - out of the box had a timing issue that required it to be send back to the factory... after 3 months waiting - with no response from the repair department other that "we got it" I gave up on it and the dealer traded me another maker's pistol for the missing Model 19.

Years later I just had to replace the long lost token of a misspent youth and I purchased this one.

First K frame was a 547. Yes, I am weird. Who the heck get's a 9mm as their first K frame. Sold it in a divorce. Still hate myself for it. For the ex and getting rid of the gun. :D

My 1st was a M17 K22, got new on a trade in 1964. The first time I shot it I
started selling off my Rugers to replace them with S&Ws. I've tinkered with
Pythons, Diamonbacks, and other older Colt target revolvers, far as I'm
concerned the S&Ws are the top of the heap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 18
I received my grandfather's 10-5 5" a couple years ago. He was a Detroit PD reserve in the 70s and this is what he carried. Beautiful gun with a nice set of target grips. I have the "inspection" card from when he first bought it in 1972

@MIKE IRWIN: Your comment about "F" frames puzzled me. I always thought that the "K" frame referred to a particular frame size and all models with that frame size fit into that frame size group. Are you saying that the so-called K size stainless revolvers were designated by smith and wesson as "F" frames? If so, were the stainless "N" and "L" frames designated differently?

Or was that a humorous comment and I missed the point? (which is a distinct possibility because I can be pretty stupid at times).

Just trying to learn something.

Oh...and to stay on topic, my first K frame was a model 10, military and police, which I bought new in 1968 for 63 $. Wish I still had it.

Last edited:
Way back in time, when dinosaurs walked the earth,,,

Way back in time, (1964), when dinosaurs walked the earth,,,
An uncle gave me a S&W revolver for a junior high graduation present.

It was a 6-shot in .38 special that he called a "Police" revolver,,,
I was only 12 at the time but I remember it didn't have a model number on it.

I'm assuming it was a M&P model as it had groove sights.

I only got to fire 100 rounds out of the gun,,,
That's the two boxes of cartridges my uncle gave to me.

The gun mysteriously "disappeared" out of my gun cabinet that summer,,,
Mom and Dad said it had to have been a burglar,,,
But none of my rifles went missing.

I'm pretty certain that Mom and dad just took it and sold it off,,,
They never liked me owning that handgun in the first place,,,
Apparently Uncle Vernon didn't ask for their okay.

Mom denied it fervently,,,
Dad hem-hawed when asked,,,
So I'm certain that's what happened.

Anyways I think that was my first K-frame,,,
I own a Model 67, 18, 15, & 12 now.

Aarond

"@MIKE IRWIN: Your comment about "F" frames puzzled me. I always thought that the "K" frame referred to a particular frame size and all models with that frame size fit into that frame size group. Are you saying that the so-called K size stainless revolvers were designated by smith and wesson as "F" frames? If so, were the stainless "N" and "L" frames designated differently?"

Not humorous, 100% factual.

The factory has different designations for the carbon steel and stainless frames.

Carbon Steel

• J
  • K
  • L
  • N

Stainless Steel

• E
  • F
  • H
  • G

S&W has always had separate letter designations for the stainless steel frame sizes, but they aren't commonly know. Most people go by the FAR more commonly known carbon steel frame letter designations.

NickCS said: "I'm in California, so getting more K-frames would take incredible luck (must purchase used) and a four-figure dollar outlay."

:eek: Seriously? It's worse than I thought. Are K frame S&Ws banned as "Saturday Night Specials", "Military Grade Hardware" or because "If we let the law abiding have them a criminal might be able to steal one"?

"Reasonable gun safety laws", huh?

First ever was a Model 66 no-dash 4" that I bought in 1978 and carried for about 10 years in law enforcement until the dept switched to issued 9 mms in the late 80s. No longer have that one but I do have 4 other Ks now.

The summer I was 17, I bought my first K frame. It was a M&P .38 Spl Marked Property of U.S. Air Corp. The summer I was 14, I bought my first single action revolver, it was a FIE Colt clone of their .22. Since the dealer was an old family friend, I'm sure he called Dad to see if it OK for me buy both of these revolvers. These revolvers birthday presents to myself.

1987, South Portland, Maine, I worked in a warehouse with a retired Marine, Roy P., he had previously worked BRIEFLY for an armored car co. In talking with him, I discovered that he quit after failing to qualify on the firing range. He was upset, as he had spent 25 years in uniform, and carried in action & qualified with a 1911A1 .45, but after firing ONE shot with a 125 grain Federal. 357 Magnum round, he decided it was too much blast and recoil. He was disgusted they wanted him to prove his ability to shoot (after serving in Vietnam x2 and experience with the .45 Colt auto pistol), but the armoured car co. mandated their staff carry and qualify with .357 revolvers and magnum loads, no .45 Autos allowed, Company policy. So he quit. Took the job at the warehouse, saving money to move to Hawaii with his Asian wife for his golden years. He was a good man, strong as a bull too. I remember I was 18, very big & strong myself, but he beat me arm wrestling, and at well into his early 50's! I asked him, "what was the gun"? A "S&W model 19, 2.5 in snubby combat magnum" he replied. One shot fired... he had NO interest in ever firing it again and didn't want the hassle of trying to take it to Hawaii when he moved. I ended up buying it (along with box, paperwork,) and a box of 49 Federal rounds, for $200.00 cash. My "Dad bought the revolver"... Lol, I was still only 18. An additional $20.00 bought a black basket weave Bianchi High rise holster. Only one chamber had a dirty ring in it, and along with the 49 rounds in the ammo box, one empty and pristine Condition of the weapon, I verified it was MINT. Like a fool, I later traded it off. Sweet carry gun. Still kick myself!!! Luckily, I just bought another last week, only a few more fired, this one a 1970 version (19-3), but she cost me $550.00. Worth every blessed penny! I often wonder how Roy is doing today, if he is still around, living the dream. And, I wonder who has that Combat Magnum!!! My dad had given me a 6" Taurus 66 .357 the previous year, which I still have. But the SW was the first K frame I bought myself.

Last edited:
I'm 81 and my first K frame S&W was adopted just a few weeks ago. I never had much interest in S&W revolvers because they were priced outside my affordable threshold. Then I recently found I could get a police turn in for like $300.

I'm very happy with this model 64-3. It's now polished and waiting for new grips from Thailand. Of course, I had to completely (almost) disassemble it in spite of all the warnings to the contrary. With YouTube help I found it to be not at all difficult. Certainly a whole lot easier than Ruger's single action nightmares. :):)

Like I said, it's now polished but I would much prefer a sand blasted finish like it has on the top of the frame and barrel. How serious does a sandblasting system need to be to accomplish this ?

Back