Here is the first one I purchased.

Model 18-4 22lr.

A very sweet shooter.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 18-4 small.jpg
    18-4 small.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 266
My first was a new Model 19 in late '72 or early '73. I was about to graduate from the police academy and searched everywhere for the sexy new Model 66. Just unobtanium at the time. Was able to get the blued model 19 with target trigger, trigger,grips,etc. from a police supply. Of course, within weeks I was able to find an unfired Model 66. The wily old codger owner accepted my new Model 19 and $95.00 in trade for the 66. An expensive transaction for me at the time. I carried that 66, and shot it a bunch off-duty, till my dept. began to allow semi-autos in 1986. So I only have the second K-Frame I've owned. The 66 was my favorite revolver and I completely wore it out. I sent it back to S&W about 1980 and had everything except the frame replaced. Was $143.00 IIRC.

I'd post a photo of the old gun, but for whatever reason the website will not allow me to do that today.

My favorite uncle didn't buy me a K-Frame, but I still have the 1940s Winchester 30-30 he found somewhere and gave me when I was about 12:)

"I'd post a photo of the old gun, but for whatever reason the website will not allow me to do that today."

When I try to post a picture, the web site usually complains that file is too big.

So I end up having to use Microsoft Paint to shrink it.

Most of the other online forums automatically shrink a large jpeg file down to the proper size for posting and the MS Paint step isn't needed.

my first handgun was a smith and wesson model 10-8, which i bought used in 1993. I still qualify with it ever year.

My first and only is the 14-7 I just bought in December. Very fun to shoot and much more accurate than I am.

Like the other poster, I bought a Taurus 66 first. It went bang every time and was suitable for SD, until it was stolen. When I got older and had more money I bought a cool old pre model 10 from 1915 or 16 just to have one. I also got a Hand Ejector I frame in 32 S&W long from the same time period for the same reason. Friday I won a bid for a K22. I am excited to see and shoot it.

I bought my first K frame revolver in February, a model 65-4 with a 4 inch barrel. A wonderful gun, it's extremely accurate and I love it.

Later that year I bought my Model 19-3. If I recall correctly, that one cost $135. Still have all the goodies for that one too.
The first gun I ever bought was almost this gun. At the last minute I changed my mind and decided to go N-frame and got a Model 28 Highway Patrolman. Still have it.

The first K frame was a 4" Model 12, the Airweight version of the Model 10. Still have it too.

Finally got the photo of my old 1972 mfg. Model 66 to attach. Didn't shoot it that much after S&W overhauled it, but still manage to get it out to the range about once a year.

Attachments

• old 66 (1).JPG
    old 66 (1).JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 22
My first and only K-frame. Model 67. I bought it new in March '14 purely as a fun gun. As soon as I got it, I sent it to Apex for a mild trigger job, chamfered charge holes, and a fiber optic front sight. Put 10,000 rounds though it in a little over a year; and I have about 16K through it now. It goes with me for IDPA and ICORE competitions; and sees a lot of range time as well.

I'm in California, so getting more K-frames would take incredible luck (must purchase used) and a four-figure dollar outlay. I sure wish I had it to do all over again: I would have bought a bunch of K-frames back in the 1980's.

Model%2067_2015-03-09_1857_zps5mfvc5hx.jpg

My first K-frame, a model 19-3 with a 4" barrel.

I recently inherited a second from my father who passed away last September, a model 19-3 with a 6" barrel. His 19 lit a fire in me to get my own, hence the first mentioned above. But I would melt down every S&W I own if it brought him back.

I never owned a S & W until about 7 or 8 years ago as I had always shot black powder for most of my life. My first K frame was a M & P "Target" 38 Special - circa 1926 or so - an excellent shooter. I enjoyed it so much that I then added a 5" M & P 38 Special - followed by a Combat Masterpiece.

The 5" I love - pencil barrel and an excellent shooter - nicest thing is that it is as old as I am having left the factory in 1952!

Mine was a 4" nickel 19-3 with target grips and trigger, white outlined rear sight and orange ramp front sight. Also the last year for the pinned and recessed model.

I was doing some trading on a different revolver and the guy said he had a .357 also. I couldn't pass it up.

I can't afford to collect guns and it was too pretty for me to shoot much so I ended up selling it. :(

Mine was a 4" nickel 19-3 with target grips and trigger, white outlined rear sight and orange ramp front sight. Also the last year for the pinned and recessed model.

Just to be clear, my 19-4 is pinned and recessed.

My first K frame was my first center fire handgun. It was a 6" blued M19-4.

My second was a 2.5" M66-4.

Then I got a couple of M1905's in 32 Winchester Ctg or .32-20 or .32 WCF, if you prefer. One of them is a 6.5" 1st Change and the other is a 5" 2nd Change.

I also have a 4" blued Taurus 669.

Since I subscribe to the Cheapshooter philosophy, I still have them all and I like shooting them all.

The first one, and only one so far was a 4" 19 that formerly belonged to a Nevada State Police retiree whose son didn't want it after he died. It was in really nice shape except for some muzzle wear. It was one of the first guns I sold when I needed cash. I had a 28 that I just liked better. One of them had to go and it was the 19. I want another 28 bad, and I'm (For once) getting a nice tax refund soon, so I will probably jump on one finally.

Back in about 1965 when I was a young pup, I got a chance to do some law enforcement work. I traded a 94 Winchester to a gun shop for a used model 15 and went to work. It was a little dept. in a little town, and late one afternoon one of the guys took me outside of town to shoot at some liquor bottles alongside the hwy., to confirm that I could shoot well enough to use it. We had on old Star loading machine in the basement of the dept., and the guys would load their own duty ammo on it. One wall of the room was unfinished and still dirt, and you could test your load by firing into it. After a few months, I got an opportunity to work at a state institution where arms were not required and they pay was 300 a month, compared to the 285 a month the police job paid...so on I went and never looked back. The model 15 served me well for some years afterward, mostly shooting surplus fmj military ammo...but eventually got traded off for a deer rifle. Oh.... the nostalgia !

never

I've never owned a K-frame. Travesty, I know. But My first issued duty gun was a Smith M15. It was much the envy of the others in my district, who all received M10 heavy barrels.

In those days, the firearms stayed in the Park HQ, and were issued as you arrived, collected when you transferred. I kept the same pair of K-frame Pachmyer square butt target grips, and would screw them on and off my issue revolvers as I changed posts. Those old Pachs saw a lot of country and revolvers. Regretfully, those grips got away at some point.

Back