First gun that was actually yours

First Rifle: .22 Bolt Action Remington, and I'm ashamed to say that I don't recall the model number. Detatchable magazine, fancy wood, originally had a block in for single shot only. Given to me on the morning of my eleventh birthday, along with a 3 page letter from my father about firearms responsibility. I keep both of them today in very safe places. Both of them are still tack-drivers (I may give that letter to my offspring; it's still on-target.).

First Shotgun: Remington M.1100 12 ga. Christmas gift on my 17th Christmas.

First Pistol: Browning Buckmark .22 with handmade 1912-style flap holster, gift on my 19th birthday. (Folks, we weren't at all rich; this was just where our values lay... :) )

First firearm that I bought with my own money: 1903 A3 Springfield, sporterized in an ugly Monte-Carlo stock with a repaired bolt and a dark bore, payed $90 for it in 1992, re-bolted, re-bedded, re-finished the stock, put on good sights, a good sling, and it's the best stalking rifle I have. Preparing to bore it out to .35 Whelen.

Remington Model 514 single shot .22 bolt action. I still have it.

"Walked beans" all summer, around 1966. I think I got 0.50 cents an hour. Saved my money, and paid around $28 for the rifle.

Bought 2 50 round boxes of shells and thought I was all set for the rabbit season. Boy was I naive...

------------------
Go NRA

Mine was a Marlin model 995 .22 lr with a 7 shot clip. A christmas gift when I was 13. I've gone through 2 recoilbuffers (apparently hoppes #9 makes them brittle and they crack) and I've shot the barrel pin loose before. Its not pretty or expensive but it was my first. I probably won't ever sell it for that reason alone.

First pistol Ruger MK 2 512 bull barrel. (It was a christamas gift.) I have fired THOUSANDS of rounds through this gun. I'll never sell it.

First shotgun Remmington Sportsman 12 magnum (budget model 870) another gift. dad bought it for me because the savage/stevens shotgun we borrowed for a grouse hunt broke in the field. Still have this shotgun.. can't see a reason to ever sell it either.

Wow, you know... mom and dad were REALLY good to me.

First Centerfire. Savage Model 110B. Bought it from my brother with a 4 power leopould gold ring scope for a hundred bucks when he joined the navy. Gave it back to him for christmas when he got out. I kept the scope ;) Bought a new savage 116.

Dr.Rob

When I was 12 my dad gave me a Sears .410 shotgun that my grandfather had given him when he was 12. I seem to be the one person in my family that inherits guns when someone passes away or moves to Kalifornia. 6 guns in my collection have belonged to family members.
The first gun I bought with my own money was a Glock 23.

6 Years old: A single action modernized 1911 copy. It had a heavy, but smmooooth trigger action. It was a crome plated beauty. I'll never forget it. Used to dry fire that thing to death. Nobody told me that it wasn't good for the pin. I think it held seven or eight shots. When Mom and I would go to the store, Hills carried the ammo. Sometimes she would buy me some. It was great. I would take those red plastic zip strips and shove it right up the mag well, just like the real thing. Once I pried that stupid red barrel stopper out of the end, it was perfect. No need for aftermarket accessories.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

I was 21 and it was a Ruger Security-six .357, blued with a 4" barrel. I miss that gun. :(

------------------
It's not paranoia, they really are out to get me.

Well, I , with tears in my eyes after reading some of the above post have my Eastern Arms
94 A in my lap as we speak! You know the drill, brake action single shot 12 guage exposed hammer shotgun! Still some finish on the wood but many scars also.
It was my Dad's first gun and I got it at 10.
I must have weighed 60 lbs! but it was mine!
I have older family firearms that were given to me later but this was the first!
Thank you all for the walk!
Hank
PS Just put my hands on my little Remington 22 Scoremaster as well! I hate old guns!

An Agawam .22 Long Rifle Single Shot. It was a tilting block lever action that looked like the Winchester 9422 that I wanted. Sadly, that was where the similarities ended. I was 13 when Dad gave it to me, the only gun he ever did. It was used then and I remember the small paper bag of assorted long rifles, longs and shorts that he gave me to go along with it. I spent the rest of the evening practicing with it on the place. I practiced with it whenever I could afford a box of ammo and carried it far and wide. When I wasn't practicing I was reading reference books and learning all I could about firearms and shooting. I practiced with that wore out gun until the extractor quit working and I was forced to use a pocket knife. I continued practicing with it even after the firing pin broke and I was forced to jury rig my own. I practiced with that wore out gun until I could bowl a running jackrabbit over at twenty five yards out. I practiced with it until the trigger assembly finally reached its mechanical limits and fell out on the ground, lost forever. I joined the Marines afterwards and somehow fired battalion high in Okinawa and was selected for the scout-sniper program. That was a lot of years ago but I have never gone hungry and have always been able to hold my own when it came to marksmanship. That old Agawam hangs on the wall, a reminder of leaner days and that fathers often really do know best.
Thanks Dad.

My first rifle was a Winchester Model 68 .22, with a lovely quarter sawn black walnut stock. I got my first shotgun at the same time, a bolt action .410...it was ugly as sin. My first pistol, bought as soon as I was old enough, was a Charter Arms snub .38, followed soon after by a .45 of uncertain parentage.

Smith & Wesson Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman. Bought it when I was 21. I am twice that now and still have it. Wanted a 27, but just could not afford it.

when i was 13 ,my father gave me a H&R 22 bolt action rifle with detachable clips. Remember a nice range in central Florida where we used to shoot. My first pistol was a mail order enfield 38 SW double action($14.95 delivered to the house). I think i was twenty then. I wanted a Finnish antitank rifle in 20 mm ,but it cost $100.00 shipped from the west coast. That was a lot of money in the mid-sixties! And it came with 100 rds of 20mm ammo! couldnt afford it though.

Saved up my money and made the purchase of my young life. I was 18 at the time and just had to have a .22 handgun.

Wanted a .22 pistol and there was the choice between a Ruger MkII standard barrel and a RG .22 ( with .22mag cylinder) that looked like a Colt SAA. Damn I had always wanted to be John Wayne, so I bought the RG. I still have it by the way.

I really dont have any regrets on my purchase. I put more rounds through the little gun than I can recall. The rear sights fell off within the first weekend of shooting so I learned how to shot the little single action with no rear sights. I was pretty good too.

I have retired the little gun to a hallowed place on my gun shelf, next to my Ruger Single Six(s) and Blackhawks. I take her out every now and then and give her a good cleaning and tell her thank you for all the great fun and memories. She is one of my most prized possessions. Her cylinder is loose, she shows a pretty bad finish and has the most God awful grips, but I would not trade her for an Original Sam Colt.

God bless this County and my God in his wisdom allow our young people to have the chance to make memories like mine.

Judge Blackhawk

First shotgun/first gun: A single shot Savage(?) .410 shotgun - Christmas gift when I was 11 or so.
First rifle: Marlin 336 in .30-30 - Xmas at 13.
First handgun: Remington Rand mfg. 1911A1 - no particular reason, dad just bought it for me when I was 15 or 16.

I have a great dad.

Bought with my own money:
Shotgun: Winchester 1897 riot gun
Rifle: Ruger Mini-14, Bicentennial model
Handgun: Enfield .38 S&W revolver

I still have them all, plus some new additions to the family.

Mine was a Marlin .22 lever action. Still have it and it looks great. My next one was a P226 my uncle gave me when he retired from the police dept. It was his service piece and since I got it, I've put over 20,000 round thru without any failures except for about 3 stovepipes from lack of lube.

Beautiful gun.

My first is a Ruger 10/22 I bought during my first semester of college (good old Pell grant). It still is my favorite shooter.

Smith & Wesson model 3000 12-guage pump
"riot gun". Selling it has to be one of the top 5 dumbest things I've ever done.

rifle-age 7-marlin 22 auto
shotgun-age 13-12 gauge S S springfield
pistol-age 16-hi standard sentinal 22
pistol heavy cal-age17-ivy jhonson 38 S&W
all a long time ago
beemerb

Back