Favorite Sleepers

I have a lot of "sleepers", as they've been referred to in this thread. Here's a list of some that might qualify:

Star Firestar .40 (Starvel)
Star Firestar .45 (Starvel)
Rossi Model 88 .38 snub (stainless)
Llama Max-I C/F duotone...this is a reliable and accurate .45...really! :eek:
Bersa Model 383A .380
FEG P9RK 9mm
EAA Witness .45 "Wonder finish"
Taurus PT100 .40 in satin nickel (1993 vintage)...very accurate shooter
Jennings J-22, bought in 1985...eh, what can I say? It's cute, and it works after a little file work on the extractor. ;)

I also own a 6" .357 Colt Trooper MKIII, but being a Colt, I don't really consider that to be a sleeper. I did own a Python, which I sold last autumn. I'm keeping the Trooper.

Arcus 98DAC

Not fancy or refined, comes from a relatively obscure manufacturer in Bulgaria. But it's accurate, durable, and 100% reliable... not just a favorite sleeper, but easily one of my favorite handguns in general.

98dac.jpg

Bought it off of gunbroker for a grand total of $325. The 98DAC is the compact version (that accepts Hi-Power mags, by the way) but there's also the full-size 98DA with a longer barrel and higher-capacity mags.

"Sleepers" in my safe include my two Daewoos. I suspect some people are scared off by the name, but these are very nice, quality made pistols. The DP51 9mm and the DH40 .40S&W make for excellent duty guns, but I admit my favorite is the DP52 .22lr, a clone of the Walther PP. The pistols are available for some very reasonable prices.
DaewooDP52001.jpg

Another gun I'd consider a "sleeper" is the Kahr T9. There are so few of the largest Kahr, that most people have never seen one, much less shot this beauty. I compare the qualities of the T9 to the HK P7... to me they are similar is so many ways, a high quality, overlooked fine firearm.
P7andKahr004.jpg

I believe the Daewoos have a "tri-action" which would be interesting and fun to have. I can believe it is a quality gun. I have a Daewoo rifle, a pre-Clinton ban AR-100, that is a quality built, handy carbine. They are, or at least were, used by the South Korea military.

I have a 9MM Star, too. The thing is indestructible, accurate, non-jamming, etc, etc, etc. The Norinco Model 213 (Tokarev variant) is a killer 9MM. It's like target gun accurate. I have no desire for another 9MM; I got lucky with these two.

An original Whitney Wolverine is one smokin' semiauto .22, for sure. So is an Iver Johnson TP-22, but for different reasons.

Last edited:
Star Firestar 9mm.

Nice to hear the Star love. I picked one up last December from a nearby TFL user (traded my last Makarov for it). It's "different". Not sure yet how it 's going to fit in my "stable".

It feels like a much bigger gun than it is.

Sleeper

My favorite "Sleeper" is the now cancelled Para 13-45, excellent Pistol! Double stack .45, 1911 style SA, and Commander size, cant beat that with a stick or a .....!

I need new mags or mag springs anybody know where to get some, I also thought about buying new 14-45 springs and testing them? Any thoughts?

I don't recall the last time I saw a Star, especially one of the later ones. I always thought the BM was something that Colt should have made. The BKM was the alloy frame version but they didn't seem to hold up so well.

I can't imagine any Colt or S&W being a sleeper, or a Kahr either, and none of them are cheap anyway. But remember when S&W was still making metal? We took it for granted that they would always be there (like Colt). Not so much a sleeper but a passing opportunity, just like those last large frame Colt revolvers.

I haven't seen one of these for a while either but Astra, another Spanish gunmaker, made a very nice double action .380, very much like that Daewoo in the other post, but I doubt many were imported.

I haven't seen one of these for a while either but Astra, another Spanish gunmaker, made a very nice double action .380, very much like that Daewoo in the other post, but I doubt many were imported.

The Astra Constable is one of my favorite sleepers as well. These are readily available on the auction sites. The double stack version, called the A-60, is less available in good condition but I like these even more than the Constable. They were Astra's newer guns, manufactured in the early 90's and they hold and shoot even better than the Constable imo. Plus the 6 extra rounds is kinda nice.

Bersa. Less recoil and just as accurate as the PPK it emulates. (speaking of the Thunder 380 model)

Also, the cost is 1/2.

Highly recommended.

The "Unique Model 52" in .22 LR. They make absolutely great plinkers and excellent trail carry guns since they are compact, hold 10 rounds and function flawlessly with factory mags.

Any 1911 made by Briley Mfg. in Houston. The quality is equal to any of the top brands, they just don't make many of them.

The Astra Constable is one of my favorite sleepers as well. These are readily available on the auction sites. The double stack version, called the A-60, is less available in good condition but I like these even more than the Constable. They were Astra's newer guns, manufactured in the early 90's and they hold and shoot even better than the Constable imo. Plus the 6 extra rounds is kinda nice.

Have one in 32 acp a friend gave to my dad. The gun is in really rough shape, had to replace a lot of the springs, but it now runs like a champ. I'd carry it more if it was a 380 version.

Do really like it.

Like other have said the Bersa in 9mm 40 and 45 is over shadowed by the 380.
These are great carry pistols ar a good price.

Thunder owners will be a special run or 32 Thunders this year be here starting in June . Only going to be approx 1000 so be looking for them to keep you Bersa collection up to date.

http://bersachat.com Home for anything Bersa.

My dad had a Rossi .357mag with a 4" barrel back in the 80's. His friend used it for police qualifications. He got the highest score in the department three times in a row with a Rossi. That gun was pretty spot on. I wish he still had it.

I really like the Heritage Rough Rider small bore revolvers. I have had a great time shooting the .22mag and .22LR versions. They shoot pretty accurate if you keep them cleaned. I have more fun plinking with it than any other gun.

Back