Favorite non .22 plinking rifle?

The RWS34 .177 is always fun
Yep, like I said earlier, better than .22! Or you can get HW95 Luxus in 0.20, better rifle but not as cost effective. Stay away from Gamo though (unless your only going to use it once :D)

If your are just talking about blasting the hell out of stuff then my short barrel AR or any of my milsurp rifles.
But of course the ol 44mag is a lot of fun too.

Hello Hammerhead,,,

It's interesting how many people choose a single shot.

Plinking (in my not-so-humble opinion) should be slow and leisurely,,,
It should be a relaxing endeavor that calms the soul.

Single-shot rifles are the absolute perfect medium for that criteria.

I even bought a single-shot adaptor for my CZ-452 military Trainer,,,
And it has the added advantage of helping me conserve ammo.

I have a good friend with an 11 year old son,,,
I take the young boy out to the range quite often.

When I first took him to the range with me,,,
He was disappointed that I didn't bring a semi-auto,,,
I brought a Crickett and a Henry Accu-Bolt for him to use.

It took a while but he finally warmed up to shooting slowly,,,
And now that he can actually hit where he aims,,,
He's seen the wisdom of sniper mentality,,,
One shot - One hit.

Especially now that his dad makes him buy,,,
His own ammo with his own money.

Yeah my semi's are lotsa fun,,,
But I always hit better with my single-shots.

Aarond

I probably use my wife's ASR in 9mm the most for plinking, but my favorite gun of all time for plinking is my FN49. Surplus 8mm Mauser can be had for around the same price as 223/556 still, and it is crazy fun to shoot.

My brother once had a new G.I. 30 Carbine that had been stolen from an armory in WWII, probably in pieces, then he died. His mother, years later, gave it to my aunt who gave it to my brother, along with about 3,000 rounds of GI ammo, cleaning supplies, and several magazines. We shot that rifle for several years and it was absolutely the best plinking rifle I've ever fired...accurate, low recoil, and just a blast!!! He had a car accident when in college and had to sell it to pay the damages.

I'd thought of getting another one, but don't think I could go back again. In the past week, I shot a commercial one and it just wasn't the same.

Anyway, the two non .22LR that I plink with are a .22WMR, CZ 455 and a .223 Rem Tikka 595. The Tikka is as accurate a rifle as I've ever shot and it has a great trigger. Viva le .223!

Oh, actually, my favorite plinker just may be this Savage Cub .22lr (single shot bolt action), which I shoot around the house with Aguila Super Colibri rounds (20 gr @ 500 fps). This rifle is "dedicated" to this round / purpose. Forward-mounted Hawke MAP 3x32mm (crossbow) scope. Grackle-smiting mo-sheen.

Plinking (in my not-so-humble opinion) should be slow and leisurely,,,
It should be a relaxing endeavor that calms the soul.

Single-shot rifles are the absolute perfect medium for that criteria.

I even bought a single-shot adaptor for my CZ-452 military Trainer,,,
And it has the added advantage of helping me conserve ammo.

Amen to that. When I gave a CZ 452 Scout in .22lr to my nephew, I kept the 5 round mag and put in a single-shot adapter. That will do til he's 15 or so; then I'll give him the 5-rounder. :)

Marlin .357

I've likely perforated more "stuff" with a .357 carbine, shooting both .38's and mid range .357 lead loads, than anything else I own.

Back