Favorite non .22 plinking rifle?

well I have a few.

my SKS is probably the one I use the most since I have a decent amount of x39 built up finally. however I love to plink with my type 44 Arisaka but ammo is so gosh derned expensive that I almost never get to use it.

my new toy is a 6.5 grendel AR which is becoming one of my more attractive prospects for squirrels and deer but with ammo being scarce until wolf becomes readily available I will probably keep it shelved for the time being.

Odd question to me. I just never regarded any other rifle other than a .22 rimfire to be a plinker.

I understand, but I consider 'plinking' to be shooting at a variety of varied hit or miss targets rather than scored as on a bulls-eyes with higher points for center shots. Example: A bottle makes a plink sound when hit and usually is a one-time tardet. I expect that there are many definitions.

I have a 22 rifle, a22 handgun, a 17 rifle. I plink with all. I will soon have a 9mm and will plink with that. My son is building a 223/556 AR and tells me he expects to plink with it.

Last edited:
Diana rws34 in 0.17 caliber. Cheaper to shoot than a 22 and never have to clean the barrel! And will pretty much last forever. I also like to plink with my 12 gauge 870 express slug but that's probably weird :/

My favorite plinker is my single shot H&R .45 Colt classic carbine.
From quiet round ball gallery loads to 200 grain LSWC target loads to 300 grain WFP bunker busters, the little carbine handles it all.
HR.jpg

H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum,,,

H&R Handi-Rifle in .357 Magnum,,,
I call it my Diller-Killer.

HR-357.jpg

I bought it about the same time a neighbor was having armadillo problems,,,
With her holding the spotlight we managed to thin out those garden raiders very Handily.

Please pardon the pun. :o

But seriously it's a blast to shoot this rifle,,,
The single-shot platform promotes slow leisurely shooting.

I scored a used Leupold scope at The Evil Pawn Shop,,,
It's probably worth more than the rifle but it really shoots nice now.

A friend who had all of his guns stolen,,,
Gave me about 600 rounds of lightly loaded .38 Special ammo,,,
Out of the longer barrel of the rifle they have plenty of range and are very quiet.

That may be the reason I "plink" with this rifle so much,,,
But there's no doubt that it is accurate and fun,,,
I love to launch brass over my shoulder,,,
Deters the lookie-loo's at my range. :D

Aarond

Last edited:
I have a couple that are fun and cheap to shoot. I can load .38 or .30-30 with a cast bullet for less than a 22 RF round costs.

One is a Handi Rifle that is now a .357 MAXIMUM. I can load it to be a 22 RF or a .35 Remington.

Others are Marlin, Winchester 94 or Topper 158 30-30s. With a cast 113 bullet and 7 grs of Green Dot, I have a good small game load or plinker. With 3 grs. of Clays, I have a garden pest gun that I can shoot while neighbors are on their decks. It sounds about like a car door being closed. At 30 yards it will anchor a tree rat, possum or coon raiding my garden. I am told that it will solve a feral cat problem.

The RWS34 .177 is always fun and say what you will about the HiPoint carbines in 9mm & 40 but they are fun too

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoy my CZ carbine. I can use full on 155 grainers or scale it down to 9mm velocities. Czech goodness.

I can't wait to get a CX4 carbine though.

...say what you will about the HiPoint carbines in 9mm & 40 but they are fun too

I agree completely with this,,,
I can decimate major appliances in my buddy's field,,,
Every bit as well as they can using their high-dollar 9mm carbines.

My only problem (and the reason it's not my favorite non-rimfire plinker),,,
Is that I can go through several hundred rounds very quickly,,,
I have 5 mags so that's a box of 9mm in 2 minutes,,,
My Handi-Rifle in 38/357 remains my favorite.

Aarond

The funny thing about the Hi-Points, everyone that knocks them, has never owned or fired one. I had 2 until recently. Had to let a 9mm carbine go for a trade a 1895 Nagant to complete my Russian collection lol. But I will have another.

Back