Favorite non .22 plinking rifle?

sbaker10

By plinking I just mean hitting cans, steel plates. Old appliances etc.

For me as far as enjoyment it's the mosin nagant. However the cleaning and rifle weight involved tends to leave It shelved most the time.
I live out in the country with thousands of acres to one side so I can go down and shoot

I have two centerfires that I enjoy plinking with. A Savage Axis in .223 and a 16" AR. With the softer recoil and lower cost to make the ammo than larger calibers, they are the ones I grab for fun. The Axis when I still want accuracy, and the AR when pure fun is the only goal.

I'm with Jay24bal.....An AR is the way to go.....relatively inexpensive to shoot compared to most other center fire rifles.....the 223/5.56 versions any way.

plinking rifle
1894 32-40 long barrel. Far and away the funnest plinking rifle I ever owned. It must be a she gun. As its bullet behavior can change down range in the blink of an eye. Besides the cost of buying 22s is more expensive than reloading for that 32-40. As I'm lucky. If I can burn up a box of shells in a days shooting. There is another retired gent like myself who shoots a 38-55 at my club range. When together we compete against each other ringing metal at 100 yards. Who ever misses first buys coffee and roll at the club house. By last Fall we were about neck & neck in pulling out our wallets for the years coffee & roll shooting matches. Anyhow. Just a couple old geezers having fun. Now you know the rest of the story why I call it my "funnest plinking rifle."

I have an ar15 but as I use it for semi long range I don't really want to run any Tula through it.

I am thinking of buying a an74 just for cheap blasting but you still have to clean the darn thing

I prefer my Savage 17hmr to my Ruger 10/22. I started with my 10/22, but if I had it to do over, I would have started with a bolt action 22, but I still would have expanded to the 17.

Lever action .357 is a lot of fun. .223 bolt action with a ridiculous scope is also a lot of fun for 100 yard nickel size target competitions with your shooting buddy.

Uzi SBR with silencer.

7528169038_23f1998ee5.jpg

Back