favorite deer cal

jakeLC

whats your favorite caliber for deer. This is a common question but one that i like seeing because of all the calibers that i cant use being from Indiana.

Again being from indiana i use a rossi lever action in 45 colt

Depends where I'm hunting. If in my home state of California, where the deer are on the smaller side then a 243 Win is my cartridge of choice. If I'm heading to Utah or Colorado though I like something a little bigger so 30/06.

Last edited:
7mm08 with my 150grn BT handloads. Just devastating.

Popped two this past weekend, one with my .243 and the other with my .308, time to give the 7mm08 a shot at something next.

I only have a .30-06, and I feel if you can only have one then it is the one to have. 110, 135, and 150 grain are all sufficient for various deer.

I am looking at a .243 for my next hunting rifle. Lever Action, open sights, 150 yards or less, quick action rifle for shooting those targets that like to move.

In the wide open spaces of Wyoming, my choice is the 257 Roberts.

Having said that if someone would ask what I recommend, I would say the 243. Not because I think its better then the 257, its just they are easier to find at your local hardware store.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two as long as they are both shot out of Model 70 Winchesters:D

Rifle - .308
Shotgun - 20
Black Powder - .50
Handgun - toss up between 41 or 44 mag (most of my deer were shot with .357 before I got the other two)

Did you want favorite archery equipment?

Whatever I'm holding at the moment to kill my deer with. I rotate rifles out year to year so that everything I own gets used as long as it is appropriate for the game I'm hunting. So far my favorites have been 6mm/.243, .257, .277 and .50 Cal round ball as they are what I've killed deer with. This year if I get to hunt deer it will be with a .308 caliber rifle chamberd in .300 H&H as elk will be hunted at the same time.

Depends on how I'm hunting

"Sneaking and peeking", in tight cover, .243 in a Win M70 Short Action Carbine. Equipped with a 1.75-6X Leupold VX-III. A short, light weight rifle I can carry all day.

Sitting in an elevated box blind over a corn filled feeder, 7X57 Mauser in a modern, strong action bolt gun, equipped with a Leupold 2.5-8X VX-3. Has a heavy laminated stock, almost no recoil.

For open terrain where long shots are possible, a Win Classic M70 in .270 WSM. When you really want to be able to reach out and touch something. Equipped with a Pentax Lightseeker 3-11X AO scope.:D

Archery- Bear Kodiak Magnum 63lb

Early Muzzleloader- Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter .58 cal

First week of Rifle Season(buck)-Remington 760 .35 Remington w/ Leupold 2-7

Second week of Rifle(doe or buck)- K98 8mm, 30-40 Krag carbine,or Savage 99 .303 Savage.

Late Flinflock- TC Hawken .50 cal

most of those rounds i have gotten to shoot, maybe oneday ill go on a hunting trip in a different state and get to go deer hunting with one of them

I have several calibers to choose from to use, 30-06, 8mm, 243, 7.62x39 and 280, I've killed deer with all of them.
The 280 is by far my favorite.
I've also killed deer with pistols 357mag and 45acp.
I've pretty much lost interest in deer hunting, did not go last year and I don't plan on going this year.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Back