Fav DA/SA pistol?

Let's detour this a bit.

DA/SA guns are primarily for duty/military use...hard, long first pull so it forces you to commit and lighter, crisper sear release on subsequent pulls.

For range or CC use, DA/SA is really not desirable. The transition can really throw off accuracy, especially in high stress situations.

May I suggest you try a current crop of striker fireds, such as a Walther or M&P 2.0? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, and every trigger pull is the same. Alternatively something in SAO, just takes practice with the safety.

All of mine are DA/SA, except for the .22 handguns.

The favorite DA/SA types must be the pair of German-proofed Sig P228s ('94), the German P6 ('98) and the CZ 'PCR', along with the .380 Russian Makarov and WW2 Sauer 38H (.32 Auto).

Why are all of these the favorites?:cool: Because I bought all of them, being well-aware that there would be no way to rank them for their specific objectives.

Last edited:
My favorite DA/SA pistol is my Browning BDA .45.
My second favorite is my Wildey .45 Win Mag. (not for any usefulness to the DA trigger, just for the "wow" factor and the performance of the .45 Win Mag round.

The only 9mm DA/SA I have is a WWII Walther P.38 and calling the DA trigger on that one schwer is an understatement. :rolleyes:
My only other DA/SA is a WWII Mauser HSc (.32acp) and its almost as bad as the P.38.

DA/SA guns are primarily for duty/military use...

Most of them are, but not all. There's a ton of DA/SA pocket pistols out there, the most famous is probably the PPK.

I agree with something Mas Ayoob said a long time ago, the DA/SA semi is better for police use than for military use. (and keep in mind this was before Glocks, and before DAO semis were anything but a total custom pistol). The reasoning was simple, the job of a soldier is to shoot the enemy. For this, an SA was better. But the job of being a cop often involves holding people at gunpoint, and for that, the DA/SA pistol was seen as a reduction in the risk of accidentally shooting a suspect.

Since I'm not in the military any more, and never was a cop, its kind of a moot point to me.

Let's detour this a bit.

DA/SA guns are primarily for duty/military use...hard, long first pull so it forces you to commit and lighter, crisper sear release on subsequent pulls.

For range or CC use, DA/SA is really not desirable. The transition can really throw off accuracy, especially in high stress situations.

May I suggest you try a current crop of striker fireds, such as a Walther or M&P 2.0? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, and every trigger pull is the same. Alternatively something in SAO, just takes practice with the safety.
Hate to argue, but as with anything, practice fixes stuff. I can shoot DA trigger pulls in competition as well as I can a striker trigger pull, and the SA trigger pulls are so light and crisp that no striker gun has come close -- Walther PPQ maybe gets a nod for being almost as good.

Striker are good for learning, sure. Nothing wrong with them for any other use. But I really don't think it's at all correct that DA/SA is not desirable. Train with anything and you'll get good at it.

I can also say that since learning to shoot well with DA/SA, my shooting on every other pistol has been better.

Of those I've shot, I really like the P226 and 92FS but they're both very large guns and my hands aren't quite a good fit for them. I picked up a CZ P-07 about 18 months ago for $400 and it's been awesome. No, it won't rival a finely tuned race gun, but for the price it's very good. And with Cajun Gunworks, you can drop another $300 and they'll completely rework it to race-gun quality. You'll still be at a reasonable price range. The DA trigger pull did smooth out considerably over time and many, many rounds :)

Ohioguy, just an fyi(in case you haven't shopped around), aftermarket grips can be had for the p226 and 92FS to give them a slimmer profile. My 92FS was fairly good in my hand, and some new grips made it that much better(also added a D spring while I had the old grips off).

I can also say that since learning to shoot well with DA/SA, my shooting on every other pistol has been better.
I agree 110% with this. Learning to shoot DA/DAO well, and its not at all hard to learn to do, makes you a better shooter overall, and with anything you might pick up, and not just handguns.

The DA guns I shoot the most these days, are S&W's (revolvers and autos), SIG's, and Beretta's. SIG's were always my favorite DA autos, especially their DAO models (not the DAK, the true DAO).

I picked up a coule of Beretta 92's (S and FS) over the past year, and they are really starting to grow on me too.

Truth be told though, S&W revolvers are my favorite, all around DAO handguns. Thats the only way I shoot them, and havent thumb-cocked one in decades.

I prefer DA/SA over striker fired. My personal favorites are;
HK Elite, P2000sk, which shoots like a bigger pistol. HK's match trigger is very good.

Beretta 92fs Vertec. I like the vertec grip better.

Beretta 84/85. Perfect in every way. Likewise the Sig P230 and P232

I very much enjoy several DA/SA .22s such as the Astra Constable, Walther PP and TPH, the Bersa Thunder and the exquisite Daewoo DP52. All are lots of fun. The Bersa's features mostly overcome it quality faults. The others are excellent overall.

I really like the Beretta 92's and Taurus 92's. But I have never shot or owned a Sig 226, but I want to. I think I would like a CZ type also, but no experience with that one either. I could go for a Witness long slide 10mm.

Probably my favorite DA/SA over the years was my Sig 226. Of the ones I currently own the Browning BDM, STAR UltraStar and Sig P230 all have to considered as favorites.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

But I must admit I have been turning to long trigger DAO pistols as my favorites today.

Your option of acquiring a Sig 226 is a good choice in my opinion. I am a fan of my HK P30s v3 and it is my favorite DA/SA 9mm. It has a thumb safety and a decocker. I enjoy as a duty, range and nightstand pistol. It eats everything and always goes bang.

From my very limited experience, CZ-75B. Only ones I've shot are a SAR B6P, CZ-75B, CZ P-07, and Taurus PT-92, so not alot to draw from. The PT-92 probably fit my XL sized hands better, but I prefer the trigger on the CZ. Putting Cocobolo grips, which are thicker, on the 75 helped quite a bit. The CZ P-07 is a very close second.

Favorite .380 is the Beretta 84.

Favorite 9 is my Tanfoglio CZ "Mossad" clone. My favorite of all my guns. Second place is my new Sig P226 SSE.

Fave 40? Don't have any 40's anymore, they are dead to me.

Favorite .45? My Sig P220 DAK followed real close by my SAR K2 45.

Back