"Everyone should have at least one .308."

I don't think everyone SHOULD have a .308, however I feel that anyone that's going to be interested in rifles for any length of time is going to have some sort of .308 family cartridge eventually. .308, .243, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, .284 Win, 7mm-08, etc.

When someone asks my opinion on buying an all around hunting rifle I always recommend a bolt-gun .308.

I have a .243, .260, 7mmRemMag, .30-30, and have owned 7mm-08 and .30-06 in the past so I never needed a .308Win. But I think if you're going to own just one hunting rifle .308Win is a solid choice based on ammo price and availability, handloading component prices and selection, and the do-it-all versatility of the cartridge.

I have two .30-06 bolts and three .300 Savages, a Model 99 lever, a Remington 722 bolt, and a Remington 81 semi-auto.

I think I have things covered. :)

I have bolt action rifles in .223, .243, .270, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 Win Mag, and others. I believe that is enough overlap that the absence of a .308 is not really a gap in my arsenal. :)

I have a .270, why would I down grade to a 308?
Because a .308 is suitable for a wider range of game, at the same ranges, from smaller/lighter rifles, and is cheaper to shoot.

You may not care about those things, but the vast majority of the shooting public cares about at least one of them.

The only other rifles are Enfields (.303 Brit.), SKS, M-1s and .22s.
The remote possibility of one day needing a .308 (i.e. such a widespread chambering) motivated me to buy the excellent Spanish FR8, built on the large-ring Mauser action. Hours of actual reading reveals that modern .308 ammo is safe to use in the very strong action.

This handy, scout-type rifle (preceded the Ruger version) has three aperture sight settings.

Last edited:
Well, as someone already mentioned, if you've got a reasonable amount of experience with the 5.56mm AR platform, the transition to the 7.62mm/.308 AR-10 is seamless.

The downside to any 7.62 AR is, however, worse than its little 5.56 brother, with the possible exception of the SCAR-17 ...

... And that is, once you start hanging "stuff" on it (as pictured below, with scope + mount + foregrip + RISR/CTR stock + sling + bipod (not pictured)), an already NOT light-weight rifle quickly becomes a whole lot more NOT light.

LMT LM8 with 18" SS SPR barrel.

I have 3 .308s, a National Match M1A, an L1A1, and a scouted Chilean Mauser. I also own a .22LR, .223, a .357, a 9x19, a .45 ACP, an 8x57mm Mauser, a .30-06, and (soon) something in 7.62x39. The REAL reason for them all is that they're fun to shoot. The secondary reason is that among this diversity of rounds, I'll probably be able to use most scrounged ammo, and not have to exhaust my stockpiles so rapidly. I'd probably add a .243, a.30-30 WCF, and a shotgun or 2 in gauges besides the ones I have now, if finances allowed.

If, by acquiring other desired firearms, one owns guns which will do what the .308 will do, a .308 in any configuration is probably not needed. The owner of a .243 doesn't REALLY need a .25-06, and a .270 Winchester shooter won't gain much by obtaining a 7mm Mag, assuming one has adequate ammunition stores, or the means to create them. The same may be said of larger bores anywhere but Africa. The owner of a .358 Winchester or .35Whelen can do most anything a .375 H&H shooter can, except bruise his shoulder quickly.

The BIG selling point of the .308 to me is, if the shooter is up to it, he may engage multiple creeps effectively at ranges beyond which the .223 & 7.62x39mm "battle carbines" begin to lose their effect. I would not try to sell the virtues of a .308 in any form to a skilled and experienced Garand shooter, nor to owners of major caliber turn-bolt rifles that are well and truly set up to shoot accurately, continuously, and under conditions far more adverse than those encountered for a short while in a deer-blind (semi-scouted Mausers, Enfields, and Mosin-Nagants come to mind).

I don't know that one MUST own a firearm in .308, anymore than one MUST own a cell phone, motor club membership, medical/dental insurance, Epi-pen, or well-trained guard dog. I DO know that times of adversity are usually better navigated with these items than without.

The shooter's proverb, "Beware the man who owns only one rifle. He probably knows how to use it (for everything)." comes to mind.

Guys the only reason there is a .308 is because it's a government cartridge, The only plus is that it's a military caliber. It dang sure can't keep up with a .270 or 30 06.

Guys the only reason there is a .308 is because it's a government cartridge, The only plus is that it's a military caliber. It dang sure can't keep up with a .270 or 30 06.
Agreed

Back