"Everyone should have at least one .308."

That's not what I got out of this thread.

The "More agree than disagree" was not a summary of the thread but a statement regarding my position with respect to the question in the OP that read:

1. Agree or disagree

Well... I agree more than I disagree. But I don't agree that everybody "should" have one. It is just a sensible choice of calibre in a rifle IMO, that can cover a number of roles especially if you only have a couple of rifles.

I have a '06 so I don't need to run out and get a 308. But when $ is right I will as I want one. I also want a 243,270,7mm rm etc. The 06 just works for what I need and that's why I went with it for now

I sold ONE years ago and never had the urge to own another. I do think most people should own a .308 rifle. I will then be assured that I have plenty of brass around to form other cases.

A more correct statement might be a 30 caliber rifle as the components can be used across many different cartridges - 30-30, 308. 30-06. 300 win mag etc.

To me, the 308 is the Honda Accord of rifle cartridges-- good at everything, but not the best for anything. (I've said the same of the 5.56 too).

Ha ha... OK, I'll buy that as a good summary. More so with .308 than with 5.56x45 / .223 (in some places and with certain species emphasis, the .223 rem is arguably the perfect varminter, but I'd agree a bit more of a "jack of all [small] trades; master of none" than not).

"long action"

Did I read correctly above that someone claims there are "long" action AR's in '06? We sure about that? And Saiga's in '06 as well. Yeah?

Don't think so.

Tactical rifles? As long as I'm able, I'll own what I choose, whether it makes sense to somebody else or not.

I like the .308, it's a good cartridge and does what I need it to do but so would any of a number of other cartridges. We all like to pick our champion and hold it above all others. The reality is that any one of us could pick up a rifle in any of a dozen different chambering's and bring home meat.

When I went looking for a 30 caliber rifle for hunting I chose the Ruger American in 30-06.

I also have one in .270 now.

The .308 is a awesome round and very accurate and cheap. But I know my -06 will drop anything in North America and I can always find hunting ammo for it.

308 ??

I've been shooting since the mid sixties, my dad (ex-marine) and all his military buddies raised me outdoors. That said, they were milsurp guys.
The only 308's I've ever shot were a Savage Model 99 and a Ruger American, both were very accurate.
But then, I have a 99 in 300 Savage, and Mauser's in 7mm, 7.65, and 8mm. So the allure of a 308 is non-existent, for me.
However, if I was just getting started, the 308 seems to be the "go-to" standard these days, but I believe it to be marketing hype,
after all, I think it was the "shortest service life" of any US military round (I could be wrong). Just my take on it !! :cool::D

Tahoe - You would be wrong then.
The 7.62x51 (308) is still in use by the US Military today in the FN 240.

800px-M240_with_US_Army_soilder.jpg

I think it was the "shortest service life" of any US military round (I could be wrong). Just my take on it !!

Along with 9mm and 5.56, ".308" is the standard fodder for the entire NATO alliance.

I don't see it going anywhere.

.308 is accurate and just plain fun to shoot. I know of no bad "habits" of the round. Easy to reload and with the 168-175 gr. bullets is accurate enough for me. I don't own a 30.06 but would probably feel the same about it too.

Maybe it is just because if it goes bang, I just love to pull the Trigger!:)

I agree. I have 2 .308's:

Why? Because, if you are going to be confined to semi-auto only, you might as well go bigger than 5.56 or 7.62x39. .308 has more range and better penetration, and more energy than the "low-power" rifle rounds.

HAC-7
Israeli FAL

I want another - M1A build or PTR-91. Probably will go with M1A, but I want a forged receiver - not a cast receiver; possibly a chinese with upgraded parts.

Basically, why wouldn't you have at least one .308 if you can afford it?

Last edited:
I have a Garand in .30-06 but I wish I had one in .308. I know M1A, right? Yeah, ok I'll have one of those too then.

Back