"Everyone should have at least one .308."

kcub

1. Agree or disagree?
  2. Why?
  3. What's yer .308?

Agree because I can get ammo at Wallyworld and/or any other backwater store that sells ammo.

Mine is a SCAR. I also have a FAL. I can do 1" at 100 yards with certain ammo for either.

Doesn't bother me if everyone owns one or not. I have never owned one, and while it is a fantastic round, I don't know what use I would have for it. However should I be haunting a gun shop or pawn shop one day and a fine piece of .308 craftmanship appears at a bargain price I might just own it.

I'm primarily a hunter. Many cartridges are available which are just as useful as the .308. As a handloader, per-cartridge cost is irrelevant.

I don't know that everyone NEEDS a .308 but they are sure a lot of fun.

I don't have a Garand and own nothing in 30.06.

The .308 offers performance very close to 30.06 and there are sources of ammo just about everywhere. You can buy military surplus or roll your own. It has the potential for exceptional accuracy with the right hand loads and looks to be around forever.

I have a Remington 700P bolt gun, DPMS LR308 and a loaded M1A.

I shoot hand loads in the bolt gun and factory/mil surp in the semi autos.

I only shoot out to about 300 yards and don't hunt anymore. It is always a treat to bang the 300 yard gong with open sights. It is easier done than talking about it.

Nice satisfying push into the shoulder and with the M1A, you can watch the bullet "trail" as it drops into the plate. What's not to like?

I have a 30-06 and a 260 Remington.
Basically, I have the 308 surrounded.
If I had a 308, I would have a compromise round that would not accomplish the stellar ballistics of the 260 nor carry the energy of the 30-06.

If I only had enough $ for one rifle, and I were just starting out, I might get a 308. I have nothing against it; it's a good compromise for most shooting at hunting distances, but it just happens to fall under the shadow of two other rifles I own.

If you're talking bore size, I have 6 rifles and one pistol that are a nominal 7.62 mm. None are 7.62x51/.308. Don't think I'll add one either. Good round, but there are lots of good rounds.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag and the venerable old lady .30-06.

I'm more inclined to get a .270 before a .308; but, man oh man, I want a FN-FAL.

0.308?

Are you asking about 308Winchester/7.62x51 or just the bore size for .30 caliber?
What are you going to use the firearm for?
I disagree with your general assertion that 'Everyone should have a 308'. Some folks have no desire or need for a rifle let alone a 30 caliber rifle.
Personally I have had several rifles in 30 calibers, but not one of them was 308WIN/7.62x51. And I do enjoy putting 3/8th inch holes in paper targets using my M1s and have owned and shot .303BRIT, 7.62x63, 7.62x39. Two of which I still own.

Nah. No such thing as a must have chambering - except .22lr.

.308 is a very mediocre cartridge choice for long ranges - inertia is what keeps it popular (and military use, which is what started the inertia). .260 rem and other 6.5 outperform it at long range with less recoil, which plenty of oomph to take out personnel or large game.

Not a .308 fan here. .30-'06, yes. But in a short action, .260 rem or 7mm-08 are both superior in my view, provided you handload. And importantly, you can get many "MBRs" (if you want to use that phrase) in .260 rem now (AR10s, FALs, etc.) .308 is quite passe, in my view.

2) Exactly.
The cartridge is irrelevant. It's the rifle that matters.
"...I can get ammo at..." Yep, but it applies to many cartridges.
"...3/8th inch holes in paper targets..." That'd be a .375. snicker.

I'm not about to agree or disagree that every shooter should have a 308 --- But one of my favorite range guns...is my red dot scoped semi auto Mas 49/56, that is rechambered in 308 --- Though I did replace the original steel firing pin for a titanium one, so as to prevent soft primer slam fires.

The 308 is just a all around great round, Accurate, deadly and easy to load for. Ammo everywhere you go. Mild recoil. I think a lot of people buy it through hype and then find out that is everything they heard it is. While it is no 7MM or 30-06, it does carry it's own weight very well. More then enough to hunt any thing in NA with the right bullet choice.

I think it's the most balanced of the four big American hunting rounds (.308, .30-06, .270 and 7mm mag). It's also the only short action round in the bunch.

It's also the best military round we've managed to come up with in this country.

There's plenty of good ammo of all types available everywhere.

I've got a LMT MWS and a Ruger gunsite scout in .308. It and .45-90 are the only two calibers I own multiple rifles in, and the .45-90s were sold as a pair :D

At the end of the day, 7mm-08 is theoretically capable of being a better round for any application .308 would be used for. But 7mm-08 doesn't have the ecosystem around it.

Not really.

Even some regular and serious shooters don't necessarily need a .308.

I do like the cartridge, but not "everyone" needs a .308, especially those who only like to shoot handguns or shotguns.

Now a 9x19mm... now that's another story. ;) :D

Have not been a big fan of the 308 for some time but this summer I bought a 40XBR in 7.62 NATO which is awesome and I'm also a big fan of fluted barrels rifles and I found a 700 VSF in 308 so now I have 2.
As far a factory ammo it's not a concern as I hand load. I counted empty bullet boxes and powder cans. ( 400 plus rounds ).
It's really not my caliber of choice just fun to shoot.

1. Agree or disagree?
  2. Why?
  3. What's yer .308?

1)Disagree
2)Not everyone has a need for or wants something chambered in .308
3)Savage Axis II

I'm not a hunter or a target shooter. But I think having a halfway decent rifle chambered in a caliber that is readily available is something good to have around for when the zombies come.

I think everyone should own a lever action in 30/30.
If nothing else it will make you enjoy shooting a semi-auto 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, etc. more.

I think everyone should own a lever action in 30/30.
If nothing else it will make you enjoy shooting a semi-auto 5.56x45, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, etc. more.

I'm trying to figure out your point. Are you saying a 30/30 lever gun sucks compared to a semi auto?

Back