Ethics of Varmint Hunting

Anthony2,

I haven't had much luck with scopes on air rifles. The weird recoil of a high powered air rifle does bad things to all but expensive scopes. I had an old leupold on a rws that did fine, but I ended up putting a peep sight on it. Depending on how your scope is mounted, you can probably buy one that will mount right up. You ought to try it, I think you'll find at airgun ranges it's all you need.

Good luck with the "war".

If you want to hunt varmits then by all means do so, why would you live by the standards or opinions of other's? Hunting groundhogs in the summer is a lot of fun, even if you just use your deer rifle.

The weird recoil of a high powered air rifle does bad things to all but expensive scopes.
Spring piston airguns recoil both forwards and backwards, and require specially made airguns scopes. The dual recoil will batter most conventional scopes apart. I don't know if this is an issue with any other propulsion methods, but for spring-pistons at least, a double-braced scope is a definite 'must have.'

I sorta follow the "don't shoot it if you're not gonna eat it philosphy", but only up to a point...

I shoot pidgeons that get in my barn, because the crap all over everything, and can carry disease...

Gonna start shooting coyote, 'cause my buddy has just started a "sheep ranch" and need them gone (we've only recently gotten significant coyote populations here, but they're already a problem.)

On the other hand I have a couple woodchucks that live in the woods on the edges of my lawn (but on my property). they occasionally come out and graze in the lawn, but they don't do any real harm so I leave them alone.

So, I really only shoot things I'm not gonna eat if they are causing problems.

I would like to point out that hunters and fisherman, through the purchases of their licenses, contibute more money to wildlife conservation efforts nationwide than any other group. Most people talk the talk but hunters and fisherman walk the walk.

I have always wanted broaden by bird hunting to include varminting. Question is...where do you guys find the land to do it on on? I haven't hunted since a young teanager, and have since lost the lease when the owner died some years ago. Do huge landowners let you on for free for your services rendered or are all of you just lucky enough to have your own acreage? I'm in central Texas, and would love to go on a varmit hunt...is there a specific season, or is open year round?

In Texas, if you're on your own land, varmint hunting doesn't require a license. Otherwise, the inexpensive general hunting license is all that's necessary. (I always get the Grand Slam hunting/fishing combo.)

Coyotes, bobcats and cougars are not protected. (You do need a trapper's license if you want to sell furs as a commercial endeavor.) Feral hogs are always open season.

Check around feed/seed stores in rural areas and ask. Same in gunshops, here and there. Heck, drive around on Sunday afternoons, and ask.

Art

there are no ethics in varmint hunting, that's why it is so fun lol. However, I follow only one rule- nothing deserves to suffer

Back