Employers Limitations On Weapons

unless your vehicle is subject to search as a condition of employment.

Then op sec is mandatory. Keep your mouth shut about what may or may not be in your car. And never allow your employer to search it.

It's always a smart idea to mount a security safe in your car under a seat to hold any valuables you may have while it sits in parking.

Sphawley, . . . my employer said we could have them in our vehicles if we were going to a range after work.

I went often enough to make it work.

But, . . . . and this is the important part, . . . . every time I got in my vehicle, I was armed, . . . and that is especially important when you are going back to a building that has been standing unoccupied for the day.

I never really worried about the "stop and rob" or other scenarios "on the way home" so to speak. My worst fear was to come home to a burglary in progress and interrupt an armed intruder.

Fortunately it never happened, . . . but that is still a good 33% of the reason I carry.

Your best advice is simply call up a lawyer, . . . make an appointment, . . . ask him flat out what the Nevada law says, . . . and follow it.

May God bless,
Dwight

Right wing governments have been known to disarm the general population, too. What you rarely have are progressive governments. However, I only suggest obeying the law. It will astound your friends.

Every job I've ever had has had a rule against carrying weapons to work, and included the parking lot in the definition of "work." That's been a lot of years. Not one time in 40 something years, has an employer EVER asked to search my vehicle. I have never heard of any of my fellow employee's being asked to allow their vehicle to be searched. Not once.

I'd put the gun in the glove box and lock the doors and go on about my business. If you're worried that someone will break into your car, put a lock box in the car. Then lock the car and go on about your business.

Not asked? Don't tell.

Now if you happen to work for someone who routinely searches vehicles, take a different approach.

I just can't wrap my head around choosing to be defenseless and having the penalty for getting "caught" be less severe than prison.
Best,
Steve

I see Steve is another person who believes being without a gun means being defenseless. I am sad for you, Steve.

Federal property my friend. I will not risk JAIL and carry illegally there. I willingly risked getting FIRED by carrying in places where it was "not allowed by corporate policy". WAAAAYYY different.
I am not a small man, but I would be currency in prison. I can get another job.

So being dead is better than being in prison. Well, at least you have your standards.

This is maddening, and I will have to leave it you

smarter folks than me.
I am active duty, and I work on base. I won't carry there because A: I have access to weapons/ammo at work. B: It is a felony to bring my CCW on base.
Before I joined, (I was 24 in boot camp) I worked in several jobs that "did not allow" me to have a gun on my person. I did it anyway.
I do not feel defenseless without a gun, but I do recognize the limitations of unarmed defense.
For those of you who refuse to carry because you don't want your boss angry at you: that's crazy.
For those of you who carry in defiance of company policy, I applaud you.
As for providing for my family, I do so very well, thank you very much, and have every confidence that I could continue to if I were fired from my current gig.
Since this is such a difficult and foreign concept to some of you, I politely bow out.

Last edited:
firearms at work

To let ALL of you know, if you work at ANY type of chemical plant, refinery, or something like those, 911 stopped you from being able to carry anywhere, on your person or in your vehicle, ANYWHERE on the company property! It is not a matter of their choice or rules, it's National Security Law.

OK, so the rules do not apply to YOU - how nice and convenient

and hypocritical

You're fighting a losing battle my friend.
People have come to define honesty and integrity however it fits their behavior.
They justify dishonesty by whatever reason compelled them to be dishonest and will still claim integrity.
Yes, we're all dishonest. Yes, we all sometimes lack integrity. Some of us admit it and try harder. Others justify it.

Brian, there is no way to tactfully say this so i'll just say it: what you just stated is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. To think you would honestly compare a job...a simple means of generating income...at the same level as your very existence. I can't help but pity you right now.

mdd said:
Brian, there is no way to tactfully say this so i'll just say it: what you just stated is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. To think you would honestly compare a job...a simple means of generating income...at the same level as your very existence. I can't help but pity you right now.

I'm sorry, but this post was unneeded. It's rather disgusting to kick a man who's on the ground. If not, do you think maybe that just simply saying what he did he's dealing with enough?

Life is worth more to some than others, as here I have argued that a dogs life is worth no less than a mans. Maybe you haven't lived in a car. Maybe you don't know what it's like to starve. Maybe, for all you know, his family is/was all in that same boat. Losing the ability to support ones self much less a family is painful, beyond what some can even understand.

It wasn't just a job. it was a career that I loved with a passion. My company closed, and over the next 25 years my wife and I raised a disabled daughter on a fraction of that income, and I did what I could until I became utterly unable to continue working outside my home. I work part time now telecommuting. Sometimes people just get broken when pressures are piled on too deep. I've done the best I could.

Don't pity me, do something to keep the next poor fool from getting broken. You may save his life, and gee, you may save the lives of maybe a dozen coworkers.

All the threads here that talk about how to kill the guy who's been driven to the limits and goes after his "enemies" with a weapon to avenge how his life has turned out, and never, ever, have I heard serious discussion about how to help keep people from reaching that point.

When was the last time you saw a coworker struggling with a problem, and put serious effort into helping him solve it? Or are you one of the people who files complaints against the crazy guy in the next cubicle, and thus becomes a potential target?

If you've listened, I've said over and over, tactical observation also needs to lean towards prevention. Keep the desperate men from reaching bottom, and there will be fewer murders of desperation among family and in the workplace.

You know that this is true. Ignore it or embrace it. It appears that you do worse than ignore it, you slap it in the face.

My mother always said that about condoms. Not when I was a teenager and needed them, usually when I was a kid and misbehaving.

@blackfeather

Also, would a knife be a viable tool you can carry, if not have you considered improvised weapons inside the store?

Bad idea. If he isnt an experienced knife fighter I doubt hes going to do much good with one in a fight. Same for improvised weapons. He might get some lucky cuts or hits in, but with no training or skill thats not as helpful as pointing a gun and ending the problem.

To carry or not to carry a gun is a personal choice. I certainly can see how some people place extremely high values on their careers. There's a huge difference between devoting the majority of your life to career you are passionate about, and working a 9-5 job just to pay the bills.

If you are Space Shuttle astronaut who has devoted his entire adult life to being able to fly Space Shuttle missions, are you going to disregard the "no firearms aboard the Space Shuttle" policy? Yeah, it's like that.

To carry or not to carry a gun is a personal choice. I certainly can see how some people place extremely high values on their careers. There's a huge difference between devoting the majority of your life to career you are passionate about, and working a 9-5 job just to pay the bills.

If you are Space Shuttle astronaut who has devoted his entire adult life to being able to fly Space Shuttle missions, are you going to disregard the "no firearms aboard the Space Shuttle" policy? Yeah, it's like that. Since when are we, as gun owners, expected to make the preservation of our own lives from an attack by thugs our primary purpose in life?

Let me get to my point, my employer specifically states in their SOP (standard operating procedure) there are no weapons allowed on the premises at all. Not even a CCW weapon in youe vehicle. So what can you do in this type of situation? I always stay alert and aware of my surrondings but what if the situation presented itself where I needed to defend myself? Are there any viable options?
You are in a difficult situation. Your employer is a Corporation, which is solely focused on maximizing profits. Corporations act exactly as psychopaths, no guilt, no shame, people, the world are disposable in the attainment of their goals. As lawsuits are expensive, they cannot endorse employees using lethal force at the work place. Employee’s killed by criminals are a law enforcement matter, the burden of which is carried by society, so in the cold logic of a financial statement, dead employees are cheaper than dead criminals.

In fact dead employees may be very profitable. You may not have heard of dead peasant policies, but a large number of corporations are taking life insurance policies on their employees, with the corporation as the beneficiary. http://deadpeasantinsurance.com/what-is-dead-peasant-insurance/

So you are between a rock and a hard place. We all need an income, but your employer may have a profit motive in making you dead.

You have to decide whether your loyalty to a Psychopath extends to the loss of your life.

Back