Employers Limitations On Weapons

I'm in the same predicament -- My employer has big "No weapons or firearms allowed" in the entrances of my job so I can lose my job if I decide to carry at work and someone found out.

So I just leave my cc weapon in my car parked in the garage. It really puts us employees at a huge disadvantage not having our cc weapons on us. We already had a shooting where an employee was gunned down and killed in the parking lot. If that person was able to carry at work, he would've had a chance to defend himself from the BG.

Imagine a scenario.
There's always a scenario to support or attack a particular course of action, subject only to the creativity of the person crafting the argument. One could just as easily make the case for disarming security by coming up with a reasonable sounding scenario "proving" that a security officer could shoot someone and create liability for the company and thus eliminating any armed security anywhere due to fear of corporate liability.
Having an employee go to his car and arming himself is far too easy. If he has to drive home and arm himself, that's a good thing.
You're mixing two things (liability limitation and prevention) which really confuses the issue.

Your earlier assertion was that the policies were in place to limit liability in the event that an employee breaks the law. I pointed out that liability was prevented by the TX parking lot law and yet the corporations still strongly opposed the passage of that law. Your response begins by stating how the policy actually reduces the chance of an incident (amounts to prevention) and then in turn uses that argument to support the liability limitation argument.

The problem with the idea that the policy is equivalent to prevention or even amounts to a significant deterrent is that if Don is undeterred by the "no guns in the store" policy then it makes no sense at all to pretend that he somehow WOULD be deterred by a "no guns in the parking lot" policy.

It's like saying that a person bent on murder would somehow be pacified if he couldn't get his hands on an 11 round magazine and was forced to make do with a 10 rounder, or that the OKC bomber would have been stymied by more restrictive truck rental laws. Clearly not a logically supportable argument.

That, my friend, is why I don't do scenarios, "what-ifs", and rhetorical questions.
But you're a lawyer and I'm a jaded ex-LEO. You love the arguments and I could care less, but we'll always get along.

John, you didn't get the meaning of most of what I said. I was tired, i'm tired now, and no, what I say doesn't always make sense.

When you can get even one scenario that goes completely against the conventional wisdom of an idea, that right there is a chip off of the truth of the conventional wisdom.

A corporation that bans carry on property will be at a certain amount of risk, still. Since we're not talking about reality, necessarily, but the perception of realithy by the corporation, we need to accept that the corporation may assume that banning in the lot will make it safer still, and in some cases, it will be. so, they will oppose guns within easy walking distance, based on the terribly small advantage it will give. Given the right and opportunity, companies would forbid employees to own guns at all, because that may add a little more margin of safety. Given opportunity, they would disarm the nation, to make it even safer. What in the world do they have to gain by allowing guns in the parking lot? even if they have only a miniscule increase in perceived risk, with nothing to gain, they will choose the risk averse course. The fact that they did oppose it supports what I have said.

isn't this what the brady foundation is doing? trying to make the world safer by removing all firearms from the hands of the public? Not just in the workplace, the parking lots, bars, churches, hospitals, etc, but completely taking them out of the hands of every citizen?

The bradyites (ostensibly) want to do it for public safety. A business would want to do it for several reasons; one is workplace safety, and the other is to prevent company liability if an armed employee causes trouble in any manner that implicates the business. Like dragging a gun out of the car after a particularly stressful termination.

It doesn't have to make sense, if a company perceives potential loss, they will block it, logical or not. You honestly would not believe the "safety" bulletins and other regulations that my wife winds up getting at work. Some imbecile comes up with an idea that nobody ever had, goes shouting to the paranoids in the administration, gets a pat on the back, and as of then, employees are forbidden to carry personal flash drives that could be used to steal valueless files or carry viruses.

Perceptions of risk are more important to a lot of people, especially a risk averse large capitol corporation.

Perceptions of wrongdoing are also important in court. Especially when a jury is spoon fed a story of how evil and stupid a company is, and they then have to decide whether that company was negligent and liable when something random and crazy happens.

yes, the people who come up with policy are often way out of touch with reality. Reading dilbert is not amusing to me. Dilbert is the shadowy reality of business. I worked for a place once that had a written policy that we couldn't cash our monthly pay checks until a full seven days had passed. Nobody ever explained why.

Back