Employers Limitations On Weapons

what you fear the most is going to be the deciding factor. I don't know what I fear the most. The few times that I actually have carried a handgun on the job, there were genuine concerns that outweighed my fear of discharge under the slim chance that I used it while on duty.

It must also be considered that in general, my judgment should be second guessed at every step. I seem to very rarely make particularly sound decisions. :(

Aarond, I wish you well, I really do

I just can't wrap my head around choosing to be defenseless and having the penalty for getting "caught" be less severe than prison.
Best,
Steve

Steve, consider this. Va tech happened once, in only 200 years at many hundreds of colleges, and millions of individual professors and billions of students survived every day of those centuries of education.

What are the chances of any one individual being gunned down by a colleague or student that is related solely to being on campus, and not based solely on outside influences, like an insane ex? Come on, they are astronomical.

What are the chances that a professor will be caught with a 1911 in his briefcase by an unsympathetic colleague?

I personally will take the incredibly small risk of being unarmed or under armed in the unbelievably low probability that an assassin may come looking for me.

I've dealt with the loss of my livelihood several times, and on at least one occasion, I still wish I'd been killed, instead of just losing my job. The loss of that job was the worst thing that ever happened to me, and seriously, given the choice of having either died or just lost the job, on any given day, it's still a tossup.

Agreed. losing a tenured professorship at non doctorate level whose only qualification is in a language or god forbid, first year level writing or math might as well be a death sentence in current times. It's the difference between prosperity, and spending the rest of your natural days saying "you want fries with that burger?"

It's ridiculous to think that being unable to carry means you are going to die. People carry for the most unlikely scenario, because they can. There are other things to consider before you just start shooting.

yes it is true, But in a situation where someone walks in to someplace to kill someone or to injure them. But it is at a company whos policy is... no one is armed and do you believe in a situation like that, is your job probably the most important thing on your mind at that moment?

Eh, I can't carry at work either and, really, not having it is not the worst thing in the world.

Am I a bit more aware when I leave the building after a night I have to close? Yup, I even quick step to my car if my "spidey sense" starts tingling:)

Not really worried about being in the building without a weapon, plenty of items I use daily can suffice if needed - letter opener, bug spray, pen/pencil, yardstick, chair, heavy book (can double as body armor/shield:rolleyes::)) - if it is necessary, darn near anything in your immediate surrounding can be utilized as a weapon.

I just can't wrap my head around choosing to be defenseless and having the penalty for getting "caught" be less severe than prison.
Best,
Steve

Do you support a family?

While getting killed is about the worst outcome that can occur, it is still a very very rare event.

Perhaps not accepting a job in a place that increase the odds would be a better option than risking destroying your ability to support and care for your family.

I have had jobs that involved real danger of death.

I survived, but no longer am willing to take on those jobs.

I have a wife and family to support.

It paid very very well.

A pharmacist I know tells a story. His father, also a pharmacist, shot and killed a junkie who was robbing his personally owned community pharmacy. These really used to exist, until the corporate model took over the pharmacy business completely. His father, IIRC, eventually sold the place. Now, son works in a high position for a hospital in the pharmacy department, and chose that field specifically because he didn't want to kill junkies.

" Remember two things:

1. Your workplace, including the parking lot, is private property and the owner of said property makes the rules. "

If the store is in a shopping mall / strip mall where parking is accessible to all, I doubt a specific store can make the rules for everyone. If having a gun in a common parking lot is legal for customers, it is legal for everyone since the store really does not own / or specifically rent the lot.

There are state / federal laws and there are company generated " laws " . The " company laws " may or may not have any real world enforceability.

If the OP parked across the street, could the store still search their car? Doubt it. How about if he took a taxi or bus, would the bus be subject to search after he got on it? ( yes I know he would not be leaving a gun in the bus when coming to work. )

And just who would be performing this search? Can the employer trash the car in the process of the search? ( Like a border check point where they literally tear the car apart if drugs are suspected. ) What if the employee didn't have the key to a glove box, truck cap or interior mounted lock box , would the store tear the car apart? Say the store calls the police,could the police do a warrantless search?

You guys must have some amazing jobs.

I am not assuming that today is the day that I will need a gun to defend myself. I know the stats, too, and I agree that it's like the odds of getting hit by a meteor.
However, I can promise you that my wife and kids want me to live. More than that, they want me to ensure that THEY live. As someone who's survived a few gunfights, I will not willingly go unarmed at the rick of losing my job. It's a job, not my life.
For the poster who lost his job and wishes he died? Dude, really? You must have had the greatest job in the world, and your life outside of work must just suck.

Know what the law is,,,
Break it at your own peril.

Or, obey the law and be unarmed at your own peril.

There are those who are armed in violation of policy for reasons based on a horrible experience after which they vowed never to be unarmed and helpless again.

They feel they owe it to themselves and loved ones to stay alive---even if it means looking for another job.

Only governments run by left wing, progressive, gas bag liberals would, and do, disarm people and make them choose going to jail or to the hospital or morgue.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Last edited:
the loss of a job affects more than just you. it affects your family. the poster who wished he had died may have lost his family, and or their trust and respect, and or visitation rights to see his children because of how he lost said job. To some that can be devastating, to others they hold life above all else...its all relative to what is most important to you. weight the risks vs rewards, many decisions in life can be put into this simple concept and if you can look at ALL possible outcomes usualy one choice becomes clear...to the eyes of the beholder (all choices made may not be the same, because different views amongst people)

if you can step back and look at situations objectively in regards to risk vs reward you should do pretty well in the end.

example:

carry or not to carry at work.

Carry at work

loss of job if discovered
if you loose job how easy is it to replace ect
less risk of loss of life at work
family unit stay whole, unless loss of job tears apart family.

Carry in car

less chance of being found (unlikely they will search)
if robbed in store gun in car is useless
car is safer but what if its stolen of broken into...when the police report is filed and the employer notices a firearm on the missing stuff inventory they can terminate...

leave it at home

more risk of loos of life at work
almost zero risk to terminate based on carry principle, they can still fire you cause you suck at you job...
family still supported.

there are many variables and outcomes each with its own possible set of outcomes and variables from there. try to determine what all these are and weight them against what risks are associated with them and determine the best course of action(for you). There is a whole hell of a lot of thinking invloved but you should be able to come up with a choice at the end. I try to do this all the time but it requires one to slow down and be more deliberate, which at 25 is hard to do sometimes.

I work on a Navy base, and of course cannot carry my personal weapons on base. If it were "policy" I would do it anyway, but it's "law".

SO? Doesn't seem to stop you whether it is law or policy - thus making you appear to be hypocritical in your thoughts and deeds

Simple - the place says no guns - carrying means that much to you - go work elsewhere

It really IS that simple

Carrying on base means JAIL, not FIRED

Federal property my friend. I will not risk JAIL and carry illegally there. I willingly risked getting FIRED by carrying in places where it was "not allowed by corporate policy". WAAAAYYY different.
I am not a small man, but I would be currency in prison. I can get another job.
I said I DO NOT carry on base (unless of course I'm carrying in the line of duty) but I carried all the time at previous jobs where it wasn't "allowed".
The restaurant and movie theaters I worked at were not going to toss me in prison for carrying against their BS policy.

Back