Duplicating gun inventory, buying a 'spare'?

I have both 9mm and 40S&W versions of my carry guns. I figure that doubles my chance of being able to buy factory defensive rounds if there’s another banic.

Its not "if" rather when.

The time to buy more than you think you will need is now (yesterday).

I have 4 "different" Sig P210s. Not sure if that counts. LOL.

1. P210 50th Anniversary edition - Couldn't bring myself to shoot it (too pretty)
2. P210-6 (used) - I bought this as a shooter
3. P210 Legend (Silver) - German made re-release (too pretty to shoot)
4. P210A - American made P210 which I shoot

I admit, I have many times bought a duplicate, or near duplicate, of guns I really enjoyed owning and shooting. I can't justify purchasing duplicates, other than the pleasure of owning and shooting. I've only worn out one gun in my life, so sure can't claim duplicates are because I wear guns out;)

The closest I have to a "spare" is an early 1980s Smith 66-1 revolver and a later 66-5 model. I bought the later model for the drilled and tapped feature to use an optical sight.

Some guns like my Ruger MKIIs I have a few with different barrel lengths and 22/45 versions too.

Well... I guess I have 2 AR-15s as well, but one is a Colt HBAR post-ban and one is a S&W M&P Sport with the (wait for it...) collapsible stock, flash suppressor, and (Lord have MERCY) dreaded bayonet lug!!! I just had to get the M&P Sport since my poor post-ban Colt HBAR was lacking all of those features. I think it should be relegated to antique status and declassified as a weapon since it is so much safer without those features. LOL

Oh, I almost forgot that I have two Sig P229s in .40 S&W, you know, so I can double wield like in the video games (totally kidding). I saw the second one at such an attractive price that I couldn't resist. The P229 doesn't get out to play much so the chances I'll wear it out are slim to none. It has a stainless slide and alloy frame so rust isn't much of a concern either.

Duplicating gun inventory, buying a 'spare'?

There are a few duplicates. A S&W Model 17 came along at a good price when a friend needed money. My brother needed money which led to another Colt SP1. I also tend to collect Colt Series 70 guns so there is a bunch of those. None of anything duplicated really would constitute being a "spare" by definition though.

Ron

I have two FNP40s and two P229s. I have probably a dozen 14rd mags for the FNs and and maybe 6 for the 229s in all so when I'm at the range I'm shooting and not reloading often. There are spare parts available for the Sigs, not so for the FNs though. At some point the FNs will need new recoil springs and maybe guide rods so hope I'll find suitable replacements when the time comes. I run them pretty wet and the guide rods look like new still.

I do that with most of my favorites. 1911’s, Glock 19 and 17 and recently picked up
2 FNS-9L 5” models because they were a smoking deal at $379. In addition I keep at least 2 in every caliber for which I have ammo. Those may not be twins, just of a common caliber.... the best part about getting twins is the mags work in both...

Since I started this thread...after ‘coming back’ To gun ownership about 2 years ago and approaching my 1 year anniversary of CCW...2 things obvious to me. Great fun to go shooting(particularly with 2 sons) and not CCW now feels like I’m walking out of the house without shoes on..not comfortable so....
So, having guns that are great fun to shoot is important, CCW important so second G42 bought..cuz wouldn’t be content to not carry while I had the G42 repaired or didn’t have it for some reason..no issue with GunBroker buy, BTW. Somewhat cumbersome(FFL transfer gig and USPS money order) but that’s notGB fault.

I have a G19 and a G19 in .22, using an advantage arms slide. I have considered getting another 9mm slide so I can have a G19 that always wears a light and 17 round magazine, and another that is factory size for carry.

In my several hundred firearm “accumulation” I have multiples and multiples of the multiples ....like AR 15 x 45, Star S x16, US Carbine x 14, US 1911 x5, etc....if one is nice five or six is extra nice.

I have duplicate Toyota Yarises, duplicate Rolexes, duplicate knives, duplicate bass guitars.
If I like something, I want at least one spare.

standard.jpg

Jar, are those VZ grips on that rm380? They look good. I really wish someone made wood ones, but I haven't found any yet. The VZs are the next best looking thing. The rm380 is a good looking pistol, but grips really ice the cake.

No true duplicates, but definitely I have quite a few that are similar.

In the past, I had 3 medium frame S&W .357mag revolvers, though they weren't quite the same (a 3" S&W 65LS, a 4" S&W 19, and a 6" S&W 586). Currently, I have two guns that are basically different sized versions of each other, a SIG P290RS (in 9mm) and a SIG P250 Compact (in .45ACP). I have several small framed revolvers, each a tad different (a 6 shot 2" Rossi 461, a 3" Rossi 461, a Taurus 85CH, and a S&W 442). I have two 1911s right now, a Commander sized S&W 1911PD (1st gen) and an Officer sized RIA Rock Compact, and I used to have a full sized Charles Daly along with the S&W. I will be picking up one or two more (probably within the year), a full sized (undecided on brand, likely a Kimber or Springfield), maybe a 10mm, and if I decide to keep a 1911 in the carry rotation I need one that doesn't have so many sharp edges, so either one that is a bobtail or "melted" like the Kimber CDP series.

The closest to a spare is my group of CZ 75B based pistols. I've had a full sized CZ 75B for quite some time (15+ years). A few years ago I added a P01. Within the last 6 months I added a CZ 75 Compact and a CZ PCR. While I don't love the P01 trigger (it causes trigger bite), the 75B and compact 75's are terrific guns. Accurate, reliable, no/few sharp edges (making them very comfortable to carry), and (other than occasional trigger bite) quite comfortable to shoot. I'm seriously considering making them my exclusive carry pistols (when in a state where I can legally carry) for the 90+% of the time that I don't need something smaller and putting a light on the P01 and making it my HD pistol and retiring everything else for anything other than the range (other than the P290RS and LCP for when I need something tiny).

Last edited:
Jar, are those VZ grips on that rm380? They look good. I really wish someone made wood ones, but I haven't found any yet. The VZs are the next best looking thing. The rm380 is a good looking pistol, but grips really ice the cake.
That's a VZ grip on the black RM380, just stock on the blue.

Back