Duplicating gun inventory, buying a 'spare'?

So you have a gun, or two, you really, really like..And you are lucky enough to shoot them a LOT...does anybody buy a duplicate/spare..'just in case'??

I really like my Glock 42..shoot it a lot(like about 3500 rounds so far, a little over a year)..no issue, no problems but I also carry it everyday..should I get a spare?

I have some duplicates. Not exact duplicates, but functional ones, that share holsters, magazines, etc.

2 .38 snubbies, 2 XD40-s. Oh, yeah, and 2 XDS-s

If some problem crops up with one, I can switch to the other until it's resolved.

Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Even at 8 months, he would be intimidating to anyone approaching or give you a warning allowing you to get to your gun if need be.
I have a new puppy; adopted at 4 months, now 6; everyone smiles and waves in my small town but she does make certain folks cross the street as we walk down. (Of course, she'd just lick them or want to play, but they don't know that)
He may look intimidating, in reality he is still a big baby.
What kind of dog you got?

She's 6 month and just started barking at strange sounds; she's adopted (we got her 2 months ago on Turkey Day) and all we know she is half hound and half Lab - but we do not know what type of either. Supposedly, her sister looked more like a chocolate, but is a perfect shade of light brown (perfect as in it never shows how dirty she is until she rolls on the carpet!)

I have 2 642 revolvers, 2 4" L frames, a 586 and a 686, 3 Commanders, 6 5" 1911 guns, 2 High Standard target pistols, 3 10/22 rifles. 2 ARs.

My baby is a ten year old Mastiff. She only weighs 110 pounds, so she is a smaller girl, but she does okay!

I have some dupes. Only guns I really like get bought again while I still have the original.

I have 3 Taurus PT111 G2's. One is in the box, unfired, one is stock fired a lot, and the other is fired about 2X as much as the other one, with upgraded sights and striker, etc.
I have 2 Dan Wesson .357's, a 715 and a 15-2.
I have three Tanfoglio TA-88's, all Israeli surplus guns, the "Mossad" full sized is probably my favorite gun of all I own.
I have 2 Sig P226's, one is an ex-NYPD DAO gun converted by me to DA/SA, the other is a brand new P226 SSE. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems very nice.

One is none, two is one.

When I was younger I experimented with a bunch of different guns, rifles, shotguns, and handguns. At this point in my life I know what works best for me and what I like. I've gotten rid of those I don't like and would much rather have multiples of those I do like.

So you have a gun, or two, you really, really like..And you are lucky enough to shoot them a LOT...does anybody buy a duplicate/spare..'just in case'??

I really like my Glock 42..shoot it a lot(like about 3500 rounds so far, a little over a year)..no issue, no problems but I also carry it everyday..should I get a spare?
I do not have any duplicate pistols, but I would like to have a spare G19 and a spare Shield, for the reasons already mentioned. In case mine ends up in an evidence locker.

I have a few things with no replacement parts available, and zero factory support.
For some of them, I have obtained replacement parts or "parts guns" that can serve as donors in the future.

For example, my P95DC is no longer really supported by Ruger, but I intend to keep it ... forever. So, a few years ago, I obtained a complete parts set from another P95 (a parted out crime gun). It came with everything but the barrel and frame.

I don't have flat-out 'duplicate' handguns. I wouldn't mind a few. But I don't currently own anything in duplicate.

Well, GunBroker( never won an auction), G42, new, $ I couldn’t refuse....so....

Will carry the new one and use the older one as a 'standby'..sometimes in car with me..

Last edited:
The only absolute duplicates I have are two SW Model 10-5s, but I don't use them for defense. I do have four CCO-sized 1911s in .45 ACP and have carried them all. One from Baer, one from Sig, and two from Dan Wesson. The DWs are essentially the same gun, but with different cosmetics (one with scalloped frontstrap, one with checkering).

I have a customized .44 Magnum Blackhawk my dad gave me that will only appreciate in value.

If I found a deal on a plain one, part of me would pick it up so I could keep the custom pristine. On the other hand, my dad would say “why have a gun if you don’t shoot it?” It’s nagging at me.

At one point I told myself I'd stop adding to my safe when it got to where I was duplicating similar caliber/ size/ style... well that didn't last long :o. Example, once I started taking my original Glock 17 9mm to the range, HAD to have an M&P 2.0 9mm... then recently a Beretta M92... then several styles of 1911s... then fell in love with SA 45 Colts... on and on! It's ADDICTING. Probably the "worst" case of duplication is after I fired my buddies Garand years ago for the first time and fell it love with it. Grabbed a beater at a show for $800 and it shot quite well on the range. I now have 7, varying degrees from adequate to shoot, to brand new chromed barrel, tuned up trigger from Fulton Armory. Then fell in love with the sheer beauty of the M1903... again, it just gets addicting and I'm not making excuses, I'm loving it. At least with the older military rifles at some point they will hopefully appreciate in value so when I assume room temperature somebody else will either enjoy them or help pay the bills with them. So to answer the OP's question, no two HANDGUNS EXACTLY alike, but can't say that for Garands or M1903's.

I have both 9mm and 40S&W versions of my carry guns. I figure that doubles my chance of being able to buy factory defensive rounds if there’s another banic.

I've had duplicate motorcycles, cars and guns. I found that I used one of them about 90% of the time. I sold the duplicates and quit buying duplicates.

I've got duplicates for 2 reasons-
First, if my son likes a gun enough, I get a duplicate, and gift it to him.

2nd, if I come across a deal to where I think it's worthwhile, I'll pick up a second.
I had 2 Norinco T-54 Tokarevs in 9mm for awhile, before selling one to a friend. Got one new in box at a gunshow a long time back for $150, and for the price it remains an excellent shooter. Saw another for $75, grabbed it in a heartbeat.

My current duplicate is the Star BM. Bought 1 for $220 with a spare mag, Liked it so much that when Classic offered a "fair" condition for $150 I bought another (+ $18 for another spare mag).
The one that came in was worn, but had a small crack in the slide. I returned it, and they sent me a beautiful replacement (clearly has been refinished because there's some evidence of pitting around the grips, but a deep and shiny blue). Both these are great shooters, if a little finicky with ammo- they like 124 gr ammo, be it from S&B or Fiocchi. Since I do too, that's fine.

Back