Dream 1911, Glockettes need not reply

Brutus

Already have a nice commander in .45ACP for CCW but if you won the lottery, whose pistol and what caliber would you buy?
Lately I've become enamored with the .38 Super. A little to loud and to much flash for concealed carry but hey, I'm a millionaire now so custom ear buds and sunglasses with night vision won't be a problem. :cool:
Configured an Ed Brown 38 Super Cobra Carry on his website and it only cost a mere $3555 so I may have to buy two or three. :D

I am a gun nerd. If it has a trigger and expels a projectile I like it. For me I always wanted a Brown. Not as a weapon or even strictly as a gun but more as a kinetic work of art. I finally got the chance a couple years back and I am very happy with it.

The differences between my plain jane Colt below it are astounding. You can feel the man hours it took to smooth out and put together the Brown.

Kobra full size and Colt 1991A1

IMG_8427_zpslbma6ghu.jpg

I would go to Guncrafters Industries for one of their .50 caliber 1911s, in Commander length with a .45 ACP barrel. If I were indeed a millionaire, I'd also have them include a spare slide, barrel and magazines for .38 Super.

I like a 1911 but I like other handguns more than I like 1911's. But if the question were "money is no object, which 1911?" then I guess the first one I'd try if the requirement is "EYE-POPPING MONEY" then I would attempt to find and buy a Pistol Dynamics gun built by Paul Liebenberg.

It's not because I think or might believe this would be the finest 1911 that money could buy, but more so because the guns that I do truly love the most were Liebenberg creations, so I guess I would try one of his 1911 pistols to fit in with the spirit of this discussion.

I wouldn't commission him to build one for me, unless I figured throwing an extra ten grand at him would get him to build one for me in six months when it seems like everyone else waits five years. I wouldn't care to do that anyway, pushing everyone else back in line isn't my style. So I'd find a pre-owned one.

But yeah, if I had F-U money to throw at guns, I wouldn't be buying 1911's. (fear not, I certainly wouldn't be buying Glocks either)

If the OP can spec two or three...
Recoil is a bother these days.
Gun 1 to be a Commander or Compact 9mm from a good maker.
(My Commander .45 has gotten to be a handful, my Ultra Compact is just a bit small for good handling and shooting.)
Gun 2 to be a SVI if they can round up a plastic butt. I don't want a three pound pistol even for IDPA or USPSA.
(Nothing wrong with my STI, but in the spirit of spending money...)

I'd like a Olympic arms westerner, built by Richard Niemer, (R.I.P.) before his passing.

Last edited:
First choice would be a Stan Chen, except I'm not patient enough to wait several years.
Next would be a Prime from Alchemy Custom Weaponry.

And maybe another Glock....

Jim

If I was a younger guy I think my dream 1911 would be one made myself at the Garthwaite gunsmith school. I'd include a link to it but Google says the garthwaite.com site might be hacked so I won't.

For an already built custom 1911 I think I'd go for a Les Baer gun. Maybe like this one:
https://www.lesbaer.com/Premier5.html
Partially because he makes nice guns and partially because I read an article that was kind of a short biography of Les Baer and I like his style.

Just a quick note to everyone considering their "dream" gun...don't go and financially ruin yourself but if you've got some bucks laying around...well tick -tock people, tick-tock.

And maybe another Glock....
Ha, Ha, Ha.

I have never owned a 1911 but have shot several. I appreciate how they feel in hand and the trigger, but don't find them very friendly as a left handed shooter.

So I guess if I had money to burn, I'd pay a custom smith to make me a fully ambi nickel plated 5" 1911 in .45 ACP.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Polyphemus just thinking ahead, gotta get all these toys before some Hollywood Harlot snatches up my winnings. :D

I have never owned a 1911 but have shot several. I appreciate how they feel in hand and the trigger, but don't find them very friendly as a left handed shooter.

So I guess if I had money to burn, I'd pay a custom smith to make me a fully ambi nickel plated 5" 1911 in .45 ACP.

While pricey, Cabot makes a true left handed 1911, properly named as such “Southpaw”

https://cabotguns.com/left-hand-1911s/

HistoryJunkie said:

I believe Cabot Arms can make you a real left-handed 1911 -- not a standard 1911 with a bi-lateral safety.

{Edit: Red-5 beat me to it}

I would feel a moral obligation to pick up replicas of some more of my former carry weapons. Maybe a 1911 colt commander and a glock 19! You know, like for my own personal museum so when I’m flapping my jaws and retelling my stupid old war stories I have the guns for props! ;)

I believe Cabot Arms can make you a real left-handed 1911 -- not a standard 1911 with a bi-lateral safety.

{Edit: Red-5 beat me to it}
Yep that's pretty awesome with a price tag to match. Fine within the specs of this thread, but in reality I'm a working man and couldn't justify that $$. :(

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can throw a rock and hit a high prices 1911. Seems like the world is your oyster.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back