Does appearance matter?

Appearance definitely matters to me. I just can't see owning an ugly gun when there are so many good looking ones of just as good or better quality out there. Just my .02.

The probability that I'll ever pull a gun to defend against an attacker – very low, approaching zero

The probability that I'll need to shoot an animal, purely for survival purposes – even lower

The probability that I'll have to look at that gun every single day that I own it – 100%
Haha, never thought about it like that. But I totally agree. As long as it goes bang and is reliable, why not own something you actually admire and enjoy looking at?

No. Appearance doesnt matter. They are weapons and tools, not art pieces. Now i have to say...that beyond that...how we actually shoot the gun should count for more than how it feels in the hand.

No. Appearance doesnt matter. They are weapons and tools, not art pieces. Now i have to say...that beyond that...how we actually shoot the gun should count for more than how it feels in the hand.

Party pooper

I suppose you only own a couple of guns right? No reason to have more than one tool that does the same thing.

It depends on whether it's a working gun or a collector's item.

I would think nothing of taking an $800 carry gun and using it. I don't care that it gets finish wear, gets rained on, or gets wet when I fall out of the boat. Same thing with a 12 gauge pump that goes on a hog hunt with me.

Just like I would think nothing of tossing equipment or tools in the bed of a brand new truck, driving it through the woods to a cell site, then hauling trash out. A scratch on the truck would stress me out as much as scratch a hammer.

Now if it's a pretty 50's vintage S&W revolver, I'd start worrying about giving it the white glove treatment. Just like I'd wax a '69 Camaro, keep it in the garage, and park it where it doesn't get door dings.

This really depends. For an everyday "work" gun (something I'm going to carry and use) the appearance doesn't really matter, and in some cases, "good looking" guns are going to be contrary to the purpose or concealment. A stainless steel or nickel plated gun will be more likely to be spotted, even if concealed.

I carry a Glock. It's my EDC. It's ugly as hell. But it's not meant to be seen. It's tucked in my IWB holster under my shirt. It goes bang when I pull the trigger and puts a hole where it's pointed. If my shirt gets lifted up, the chances of the gun being spotted is pretty damn low.

On the other hand, with BBQ guns and range guns, appearance goes a long way. The purpose of these guns is to be spotted and admired.

Concealed carry guns are tools, and I don't care what they look like. guns that will be used at the range, I want to look good.

Honestly, I find very few handguns to be ugly. The few that I do are those Uzi knockoffs and Hi-Points. I never figured out how people lump Glocks in with Hi-Points in the looks and ergonomics departments. The only similarities they share are that they are black and semiautomatic.

I have ugly guns and beautiful guns.
When my wife and daughters safety is at stake, I'll grab the ugly gun every time!
Besides, from the point of view of the bad guy, all of my guns are ugly!

Ok - time to fess up.....

When this thread started, my initial thought was - "No. What a gun looks like isn't all that important to me".

Then I started thinking - if someone gave me a Wilson Combat for free - on the one condition that I keep it the way it was given to me - and the way it was given to me was that it was painted pink with little purple smiley faces painted on it and "Gay pride" engraved all over it....
I don't believe I'd care to have the gun.

Then I read two other threads...

One on the Hi Point and one on the Browning BDA.
I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to buy a Hi Point.
They are exceptional values and they shoot like a house afire - but - they are soooo fugly...

OTOH- the BDA is one of the best looking guns (IMHO) ever made.
However - - it's a fat chunky .380.
A slim Colt Commander is more carry friendly (to me).
Knowing I'd have no real use for a BDA, if one came my way for a real good price, I'd pounce on it - based on looks alone.

So - yes - looks are a very important part of my buying decision.

and the way it was given to me was that it was painted pink with little purple smiley faces painted on it and "Gay pride" engraved all over it....

That made me laugh. Do you think such a creature such as that even exists? And that leads to the question...who is the owner that is giving it to you? Dare you offend them by refusing? It may be loaded when you say "no thanks". Is that wise? Sorry, I know its a little off topic

I'm with Hal on this one.

My view changed a bit too.

Only thing is, I like the looks of Glock, SIG, 1911's, and BHP's. To me they're all really good looking guns. So to me it does matter.

The PPQ, HI-Point, and some others are just plain ugly and I wouldn't own them. (I did have a PPQ for a few weeks)

So in a sense it does matter, it's just subjective from person to person.

Ok - time to fess up.....

When this thread started, my initial thought was - "No. What a gun looks like isn't all that important to me".

Then I started thinking - if someone gave me a Wilson Combat for free - on the one condition that I keep it the way it was given to me - and the way it was given to me was that it was painted pink with little purple smiley faces painted on it and "Gay pride" engraved all over it....
I don't believe I'd care to have the gun.

Then I read two other threads...

I'm sorry, I just can't bring myself to buy a Hi Point.

In trying real hard NOT to get a visual on that.

As far as HiPoints, they're not really that bad & I've seen a lot worse. Maybe a hot glue gun & sequins would spruce them up for ya :).
Looks ARE important to most people I think. ( Glock excluded). I'm looking at the possibility of buying a Kimber that I do not need at all, don't really have the $ for, but want it mainly for looks in the collection.
I have a cpl S&W model 10's which I now think are pretty good looking. Although in the 70's I used to carry one at work and would occasionally use the butt as a hammer.

"When I out shoot a high dollar 1911 with my Glock 19, does it really matter?"

Your Glock is not outshooting the 1911. You are outshooting the person with the 1911. Put both guns in a Ransom Rest and get the shooter out the equation and odds are, at 50 yards, the 1911 will beat the Glock every time.

Or, are you saying that you can outshoot every person with a 1911 using a Glock? I'll put Todd Jarrett up against you with his 1911 - and he'll outshoot you every time.

It's a specious statement with little real meaning.

Guess I must throw a question in there.......

If Glock's looked identical to a hi-point would people be buying them at $500+ ?

My answer:
IMHO no and I don't think any gun would either at that price. There are many reliable guns out there that eat anything and have been for a long time now so looks have a lot to do with their sales. I think they have a "service weapon" look to them that is appealing.

Glocks are different and even unique in their looks but if they were as ugly to most people as they are to some, I think they would not be such great sellers regardless of how reliable they tend to be.

Glock owner?

Thanks KMAX that gave me a good laugh.

I own a few hand guns and think none of them are ugly; but my Colt XSE Stainless Steel Combat Commander is beautiful. I have bought three sets of grips in the last month, and just bought another pair. Can't seem to find the perfect match.

Only when you are dating. After you are married, you can really let yourself go downhill.

As far as guns go, I don't think it important. I carry mine concealed, so butt ugly would not matter.

Back