Does appearance matter?

Not really

The ugliest gun I own is my Marlin 'Papoose'. It's a takedown, survival .22 lr with no forend, a hideous plastic stock, with an orange front sight insert. She fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down kind of look about her.

Accurate, lightweight and easy to stow while camping or canoeing. Love it to death.

Looks do matter.

its two am, and your hoofing it to the gas station because your car ran out of gas and some methhead tries to stick a knife in you for your shoes. You want a gun that when presented will make methhead wet their pants in fear and run away screaming your a crazy person.

You do not want a gun that will make the methhead laugh so hard he pees his pants.

I asked Gary Kleck if he found any evidence that appearance influenced DGUs. He said he never heard of such.

Elmer Keith said a 22 was little till you looked down the barrel.

Meth head zombies werewolf mummies at night might not be intimidated by a twelve gauge.

Constatine - nice looking hammers and I get your point but not all hammers are "created equal" either . . .

I never bought a hammer "on looks" . . . and i have used hammers my entire life . . . give me a good wood handled hammer (preferably an old "Blue Grass" which isn't available anymore) anytime . . . I once had a fiberglass handle hammer when they first came out . . . I used it for a week and it vibrated so much that it caused my forearm to cramp up . . . it got "lost" in a ditch along a country road. Yes . . they all hammer nails but I don't think you'd want to use a 28 oz doing finish work . . . nor use a 13 oz to do rough in work and drive spikes . . .

I had a Ruger LCR 357 . . it was an easy carry, accurate for a snub and it wasn't bad to shoot. But the one thing that bugged me ever since I bought it was that to me, it's one "butt ugly" wheel gun for the price. I picked up a S & W Model 36 - was a heck of a lot cheaper than the LCR was and not only looks better but for me, carries better. Last week, I finally had enough of looking at the LCR and traded it in on two vintage Smiths . . . and I'm not looking back. If I'm spending $500 to $700 on a handgun . . . it's going to be "pleasing" to my eye . . . . and I own a few other Rugeer models and love 'em all.

If someone is happy with an ugly gun . . . . more power to them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as long as it works for them, that's what it's all about I guess. Some folks wear sneakers to church . . . I prefer something a little bit dressier . . . to each their own.

And I really do think those are nice looking hammers . . . just glad I'm at the age where I don't have to swing one everyday . . . but then I'd probably be considered "old fashioned" as I don't have a power nailer. :D

I think that the idea of a good looking handgun, to me, means a handgun that is well made and of good quality. I'm just old fashoned, and when I pick up a CZ-75 or a S&W Model 19, the craftsmanship in their design echos their history of reliability. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's right more often than not.

On the other hand, I have guns like my Makarov, which, no offense to Mak lovers, is not what I call a beautiful gun. It's nice enough, and in good condition, but was made with a utilitarian function- It was the Glock before Glock was cool. :cool: I still love that little gun! I know it will go bang, and if something goes wrong I can fix it.

ETA: As for the "tool" issue in debate, I have used all sorts of hammers. My personal favorites are Estwing hammers- solid steel from grip to head, single piece. They have an aestehtic appeal to them that echos their high quality; it's not just limited to firearms.

Last edited:
Yes . . they all hammer nails but I don't think you'd want to use a 28 oz doing finish work . . . nor use a 13 oz to do rough in work and drive spikes . . .

Now we are back to the age old debate about what caliber of hammer is best for each application. :)

Yes looks matter. I don't care how well it shoots, if I don't like the way it looks then I'm not buying it.
P2200640.jpg8

You provided a great example to support your (our) position, southjk. My favorite specimen of a pistol that I would never buy no matter "how well it shoots" is the Beretta Neo. Of course, some love the looks of it as much as some must love the appearance of the Rhino-each to their own (thankfully :)). I'm just grateful that, as a free people, Americans have a lot of different-looking and types of firearms to choose from.

I promise you whatever you shoot with a gun won't care if you shot them/it with a $180 hi point, or a gold plated 1911 with diamonds and other bling bling stuff. I promise, they won't care. I'm not much of a hammer guy ( I own some estwings), but if you people want to talk about tape measures let me know ( I prefer a fat max myself)

I guess it depends on how the gun was aquired. I have a Marlin 30AS that was given to me by my cousin when i was a boy. It was his for 20 years, and it has been mine for another 18. The stock is a bit beat up, but i love it to death and wouldn't change it at all. Now, would i buy this gun today? Heck no! But because of it's sentimental value, i don't mind the scratches on the buttstock, or the gash in the handguard.

A big +1 to what billy says.....

It's funny how the topic may change, but, the comments from the ignorant stay the same.

To someone that knows little about guns, all guns are the same.
W/hammers, I guess they all look the same so people assume a $2.99 special from Harbor Freight does the same job as a $309.00 Stiletto titanium.

And FWIW - the better one - the $309.00 Stiletto isn't better looking!
Matter of fact, I find it sort of odd looking =- but - it's anti vibration design makes is a dream to use all say long. (I wouldn't know - I use a pneumatic ;))

If guns were only tools I might not own a one of em. If you think all they are is a tool you may very be beyond help. Definitely mission the best party of ownership.

The yellow hammer glows in the dark and has the oversized grip right??? Seriously we are all reading or posting here because we have an above average interest in the looks and build and function of these things. Even the plain ones looked great to us when we first got them. Right?? I,'ve bought on appearances before. But I like the workhorses too.

I personally think all guns are nice looking. It's just that some are much.. very much nicer looking than others. Therefore I don't own any ugly guns. . If people only bought the really nice looking ones, Glock would be out of business along with many others.

There are ugly guns that function flawlessly "Glock" and there are works of art that perform flawlessly"BHP". I choose works or art but that is just my opinion.

Back