Does appearance matter?

I'd take an ugly beat up rifle that shoots well over a pretty piece of art that shoots horribly any day. I don't think a firearm being a tool is a dumb cliche at all. Maybe a hammer is a bad example, but I bet you could find a forum on carpenters comparing nail guns, drills, etc. in very similiar fashion to the way people on this site discuss firearms. I think two differen't crowds will have two very different answers on this topic. Plinkers and collectors who want a pretty gun to show off at the range and hunters who don't give a hoot what a gun looks like as long as it puts meat in the pan.

The only requirement I have for a weapon's appearance is that it must reflect as little light as possible.

I used to say I didn't own any game guns, and that I wouldn't own a gun that wasn't a weapon. Then a forum gave me a 1911 in .38 super. Then I bought a .22 to use in teaching.

But I'm sticking to my light requirement.

Constantine, no one may know who will win, but I'm certain which way I'd bet money.

Guess I must throw a question in there.......

If Glock's looked identical to a hi-point would people be buying them at $500+ ?

My answer:

IMHO no and I don't think any gun would either at that price. There are many reliable guns out there that eat anything and have been for a long time now so looks have a lot to do with their sales. I think they have a "service weapon" look to them that is appealing.

Glocks are different and even unique in their looks but if they were as ugly to most people as they are to some, I think they would not be such great sellers regardless of how reliable they tend to be.

Walther recently came out with a gun that looks very much like a Hi-Point. The PPX. I think it is selling around $400

does appearance matter

Hi Folks,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, as far as I'm concerned that awful lookin' thing put out by Chiappa is the only UGLY gun. OH heck
I know, it's supposed to be an excellent shooter. As far as my taste goes the CZ75 PCR
is awful nice lookin'! But heck, what do I know. I'm sure folks will think I'm nuts, I guess that's why they make so many guns. You know,"different strokes
for different folks. OH BTW, Merry Christmas to everbody!:D

To me it does.:)

When i bought my second gun it was tricked out 1911 polished stainless. I asked the guy "does someone really need a gun this fancy" ? He told me "well atleast if you shoot someone you had the decency to shoot him with a pretty gun".
It just made me laugh then I bought it.

Nothing like a 4" 586 with some nice grips or a 6" stainless python.:cool:

Back