Do you vary which gun you carry?

One of the biggest reasons I've seen people use for a rotation is because they can carry different size guns with different types of attire. I call BS on this excuse. 300 days out of the year, I wear a T-Shirt and Cargo Shorts.

If you lived at 9000 feet you Would be changing your clothes, or eastcoast or even Alaska. Clothing can determine the holster and the gun to facilitate draw and clearing the action for a shot. Also the locale, going to a Broadway Play may present issues that may not be an issue in Phoenix.

I carry any one of three guns depending on what I wear. Sig P250c 9mm, XD40sc or a Keltec PF9, all can either be IWB or OWB.

I agree with you WildBill45. You wouldn't want to decline a white tie event simply because you lacked a pistol that would snug up properly in a cummerbund.

+1 to WildBill...I wear a suit and tie to work, casual clothes on the off hours. I'm in mid-Ohio, so summers can go up into the 90's+, and winters can get down to single digits. I simply cannot come up with a single gun/single carry method that will fit all of this. I'm down to 2 guns at this point...my new LCP (in place of a treasured Smith 649) for when it's too hot to wear a covering garment, and my SIG P239 SAS for when I can wear a jacket/coat/etc., or when it's cold enough to need gloves (the trigger guard is plenty big for gloves). I do, however, make sure all of my carry guns operate in the same way (no manual safety, same pull for each shot), so I don't struggle with a safety lever, or changing trigger pulls between shots.

I carry one gun all the time in West Central Ohio, but I don't worry about not printing or even if a little shows(G27).

If I was worried about being absolutely concealed I would have to go with a very small pistol to make it work(LCP maybe).

Yep, attire is a big factor in what I carry. Business casual for work, shorts and t-shirt when not working in summer, jeans in cool weather. Then a jacket an tie when I go see the ballet or certain other functions.

Ballet? :eek: Yep, one of my daughters is a professional ballet dancer. :D

No. In summer, at night, I carry a 686+ with a 6 inch bbl IWB of my jeans with a good belt, no holster, under a tee-shirt. I'm 5'11", 135Lbs and you can not see it. Driving takes some maneuvering to get comfortable. I will not carry a little gun.
-SS-

I change what I carry all the time. Yesterday I carried my R1 and the day before that I carried a 3in M65 S&W. I dress around the gun. One day last month I carried a 6in. 629 in a Roy's pancake cross draw under an un-tucked shirt. Today I am considering toting a 4in. M10 S&W or a 5906 around but that is not decided yet. The smallest guns I carry as primaries are a Colt Detective Special or occasionally a Colt 1903 Hammerless but normally I carry a full size revolver or auto along with a .22 or .25 auto in my pocket. It all depends on my mood or the alignment of the stars or something. My wife says I am just weird.

Yep most of the time I pocket carry and have 4 or 5 different ones I use, Sometimes I carry a second gun IWB or OWB depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going, this can be any one of a couple dozen different guns.

The main gun varies depending on attire, where I'm going (around town or the woods), and my mood at the moment.

The back up never varies. J frame in a pocket.

While I understand the argument about staying with the same gun all the time, and even agree with it as a general proposition, that's not particularly feasible for me. Four days out of the week, I'm (at least) in sportcoat, khakis and a tie. I have a gunbelt that I can wear with those, and carry a full- or mid-sized semi-auto. If I'm in a suit, which is occasionally required, I pocket carry a different gun. I simply don't own a gunbelt that matches my suits (yet). On the weekends, it's shorts in warm weather. Whether I pocket carry or OWB it, well that depends on which shorts, what I'm doing, etc. I do, however, try to stick as closely with one system of operation as I can. For example, the pistol that was my primary carry for a long time has a safety that must be flicked down for the "off" position, so I consider any pistol on which the safety has to be flicked up for the "off" position to be ineligible for carry rotation.

I have carried different guns for different occasions for a long time. I have also swapped my primary depending on whatever was the newest that I had proven reliable to carry. Recently I have found that I can carry a Glock 26 or a 3" Model 65 no matter what I may be wearing. I find that I shoot both guns well. I have other revolvers and other Glocks that I shoot well but I stick to these because I can make them work. I carry my 26 most days in a tucked in shirt and jeans or a tshirt. I carry my 65 AIWB alot of the time simply because I like my revolvers. I do on occasion carry my Glock 19 AIWB when concealment isnt as important.

Some days I carry a revolver, some days a Glock, some days a Kel-tec, some days a 1911, some days a Beretta 92G.

I've shot a 1911 or Hi-Power often enough that my thumb comes down naturally on the safety, whether it's there or not. I don't see how that's going to stop me from being effective with any of the others.

I have all these of which I have carried many over the years.

handguns.jpg

This has been my daily carry for about 8 years, Sig 226 357Sig & S&W 340PD .357Mag

dec08-feb09130.jpg

I only rotate 2 handguns. 90% of the time it's a S&W 4006. If I really need something smaller, {like a wedding or funeral} I carry a single stack 9mm.

I have rotated between a pocket semi (Kahr P380 or Ruger LCP) and a J-frame snubby, but all have the common characteristic that you just point and shoot... no safeties to worry about.

Last edited:
3 inch 1911 in .45 ACP for down here in the concrete jungle, 10mm Glock 29 for up north in the boonies. Only other carry choice is my night biking gun which is a Glock 26, and that's rather infrequent, unfortunately. P32 BUG with all of the above.

Back