Do you hunt with an AR-15?

Yes, I have used a 6.8 and .223 for deer. Sold the 6.8 but still use the .223. I like it when there is a a good rain going that day. Easier to clean up a water soaked AR.

AR-15,AR10S NOT TO MENTION HK91,M1A,All work well.22-250 ,5.56,AR-15S for smaller stuff.6.8 7.62x51mm take care of deer easy.Take your pick for hogs AK-47 work as well.HOGSHOOTER

If I ever draw for deer up here, the Saiga will go with me, and it has already whacked one coyote. It's not an AR, but it's semi-auto and black!

I don't own an AR, but I do often hunt coyote with my DR200 (which is another 5.56mm high powered assault weapon:rolleyes:)

Yes. Both .223 (varmints and hogs) and .308 (deer and hogs). All have been one shot kills. There are no magazine/clip capacity restrictions in TX as someone else stated except for migratory game birds.

I've had my ARs since the early 90s,i've used them for coyote hunting and other varmint control.For deer I will take my DPMS LR308 AP4 out stalking or brush hunting,normally I hunt deer with my Rem 700.

yup. my girlfriend killed her first Mulley with my Bushmaster also. the AR is a wonderful hunting platform for deer and smaller sized game (223) i dont see how it is any less "legitimate" than a Browning BAR

Attachments

• 0501111734a.jpg
    0501111734a.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 1112120843.jpg
    1112120843.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 44
  • l_bf95612441faca52b31f9b66d167ba52.jpg
    l_bf95612441faca52b31f9b66d167ba52.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 44
I use my AR in 762X39 for hog hunting. I will be using it for this years pig shoot in another week. 1.5X4 power scope, Barnul steel case with the fmj bullet pulled and replaced with a 123gr Winchester power point. Shoots 1.5" at 100 yds off a bench for me. Never needed more than one shot so far, and none of the pigs took even one step after impact. All of my hogs were taken at 75 yards or less. My AR is the perfect hog gun for me and the area I hunt in. Your area, range, and terrain may be different.

I hunt coyotes with mine. my brother stole it one year and killed a 4/5 whitetail buck. other than that... squirrels, tweety birds, anything else that tickles my fancy...

I never have killed a deer with it though, I prefer slightly larger cartridges for that.

Personally, I like to hunt with a bolt action. The AR platform just doesn't feel comfortable to me for hunting with the pistol grip.

My father (he's 67 years old) and I hunt exclusively with AR15's chambered in 6.5 Grendel here in Mitchell County, Texas. We typically go out with 10-15 rounds in our magazines because we've been known to kill multiple hogs at one time. In this open country a bolt action is at a disadvantage on a herd of hogs compared to an autoloader. We also deer hunt with our AR's.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 43
I do, yes. I use which is set up as a Varmint Rig, and one set up for more reflective shooting. We do a lot of very high volume hunting here, and the AR platform is ideal.

From Cat9x:
My father (he's 67 years old) and I hunt exclusively with AR15's chambered in 6.5 Grendel

The Grendel is indeed an interesting cartridge. It seems to kill at least as well as 30-30 out to past a few hundred yards. The AR-15 is easier to handle than the old 'Thutty-Thutty' too! With modern sights and range-finding equipment, you're good to go out to past ranges where you should attempt a shot!

There's even a reloading manual dedicated to the Grendel so folks can more easily get good background and a nice collection of commercial load data.

Although I had a .223 Interarms Bolt Action and a Colt AR-15 HB, I never used them on deer. However, my brother has used an early Colt AR-15 (no forward assist), and his son used it to kill a couple of deer. My brother usually used an '06, but took a header out of a tree (about 30' up) during bow season, broke elbow, couple of ribs, so he anticipated too much pain if he used the '06 during the gun season. He found a blow-down, used it to support the AR, and shot it one handed. He reported it worked well. He always had a lot of faith in the AR as to its effectiveness, having seen the wounds it caused as a medic (V.N. 3-tours, 2 of which were in a LURP unit, in country).

Last edited:
Back