Do you hunt with an AR-15?

I am shooting an LR308 for deer and hogs. My oldest has taken 3 deer with her AR in 6.8. The next kiddos in the lineup will all be hitting the field with 6.8 for deer and hogs for their first hunting rifle.

Honestly, when I get done building the kids' arsenal, I will probably build another 6.8 or 6.5 for myself.

When hunting deer in dark timber:
Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper with Burris red dot.

No shots yet, but nice and light and handy.

It has the ballistics of a 30-30 to 125-150 yards and I mostly can't see past 75 yards, so I think it's the right tool for the job.

Yes. So does my daughter and one of my closest friends.

I use a .223, my daughter 6.8 and my friend .223. This year I'll be trying something a little different - AR pistol in 6.8.

What quarry?

Deer and coyote primarily.

There is no magazine restriction here in WI so I'll sometimes go out with 30 round mags if I'm going to be on public land... no not for defense but just for the looks some of the more "traditional" hunters give me.

Yes I do hunt with my AR. Hunt with it, walk around with it, shoot for fun with it. Until I drank the Kool-aid last october I thought AR's were OK just not really my cup of tea, now I can see why they are one of the most popular rifle platforms available. Last fall I deer hunted one day with my AR. Put 2 60 grain Nosler Partitions though the chest of a big bodied buck and down he went. Haven't shot it at any other critters yet, but certainly won't hesiate to.

I've hunted deer, hog, coyote, turkey, and varmints with my AR-15.Also hunt deer and hog with my AR-10. They are like any rifle, it's all about shot placement. I do prefer the natural hold of my TC Prohunter in 300 magnum! :D

AR's (223s) are legal now in Wyoming for Deer & Antelope size animals assuming you are using a 60 grn or heavier bullet.

I suppose they'll go on the list, but both my ARs don't have glass, just irons, no problem

Problem is they got added to the list of other guns I want to hunt with. A long list.

Next year I'll hunt deer with a Muzzle Loader, my 1898 Krag is next on the list, so is my Model 27 Smith, and 1894 Marlin both in .357.

Maybe, if I live long enough to work down the list.

I do hunt both of my AR-15 rifles. The 223 goes on varmint hunts and prairie dog hunts. The 50 Beowulf has been on coyote and bear hunts, and may see some time during elk season this year.

I have a cousin who has been using his AR 15 for deer hunting since about 1985. I prefer my M1 Garand with my home cooked hunting loads when I take my military guns out into the field. Or my Mosin Nagant rifle or carbine or K31 or............well lets just say I'm not fussy about what I take and I am into this nostalgia thing.

I have looked up Texas laws re: using my Garande. As long as I use a 5 round clip and not the standard 8, it is legal to use it on deer. Hog hunting is a little less regulated but don't push your luck there.

From TPWD website........
Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).

458 SOCOM on Bison,Hogs, Asian Water Bufflo
Wife used it last

Pat3_zps675fcf81.jpg

I hunt with an even scarier rifle...the AK-47!! It's cheap and minute-of-deer/coyote/varmint. Seems like a waste of money hitting a yote with a .270 SST hand load. I'd rather use the cheap steel cased stuff that I don't have to worry about recovering.

Back