Do you hunt with an AR-15?

TXAZ

Do you hunt with an AR-15? (Or other "Assault like weapon")

If you do use an AR-15 to hunt (legally), what do you hunt?

AR-10, 50 or other with a similar form factor.

Last edited:
I have looked up Texas laws re: using my Garande. As long as I use a 5 round clip and not the standard 8, it is legal to use it on deer. Hog hunting is a little less regulated but don't push your luck there.

You will notice that I used the term 'clip' correctly here which is certainly an oddity :)

I've hunted hogs in Alabama with an AR several times. Most people would probably be surprised at how successful the .223 is on hogs.

Hunt with AR-15?___ No.
Have a little Rem Model 7 in 223 that gets called upon for a little yote snuffing during warmer days. For the time being. Ice fishing now has my attention._:)

I used one for deer hunting in Texas in the 80s. Always felt kind of odd using it for hunting at the time. Other hunters certainly had funny reactions. Now I wouldn't think twice about it if I were doing a lot of hiking. Otherwise I'd probably stick with my AR-10 for the extra power...

I'm to cheap to buy one ( And I find them kind of ugly! ) but the young guys around these parts, the ones trained by the modern military, like them as does one of my "Older" buddies.

Not my choice but they do see to be catching on.

Yes,cull deer,coyotes,hogs,all varmint size critters,I think they make a good truck gun.Pick your shot & range 223AR are nice in the field.Use mine a good bit.;)

Planning on coyote hunting with mine. Does anyone use the iron sights when hunting? I always liked the sights when I shot for Uncle Sam, but my eye aren't what they use to be. May see a sight (pun intended?) in my future.

Bob

Absotively

In this part of Iowa, it's mostly coyotes and feral hogs. In the southern part of the state; (Lap-Land), it's pretty much the same and SKS's for deer. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Turkey gun

My AR is a small, light package I sling across my back while hiking through the Texas deer lease in the fall.
I carry my model 70 for deer but when I want to take a turkey, the FMJ rounds in 5.56 won't mess them up like my deer rifle.

I don't own an AR-15, but I hunt coyotes and pigs with my Mini-14.

Also, a really good friend of mine who has been my hunting partner more times than not hunts the aforementioned coyotes and pigs with his AR-15.

I use an AR15 to hunt deer. It's in 6.8SPC. Quite potent on deer sized game. In Ga there is no magazine limitation for hunting anything but migratory game birds.

Back