Do you disclose CCW when stopped by LEO ?

kymasabe

I was told at my CCW class that when stopped by the police to hand them your drivers license and registration but put your CCW permit on top of it all and leave your hands on the steering wheel.

But was also told here in Florida (maybe is a local thing and not a state thing) that any time there is a handgun involved in a traffic stop, that the cop has to call for back-up, which usually results in at least another 2 or 3 cars. Quite a spectacle for a minor traffic violation.

Is disclosure required...or even recommended?

hand it to em at a 90 degree angle while singing the national anthem...
wait i digress, hehehe
no other coppers show up during my "incident"

check your state law

In TX you must hand over your CHL license if carrying.

My CHL instructor (an active duty LEO) stated that even if you are not carrying, it is considered good form. When he runs your DL, it will show that you have a CHL as well. If you have already disclosed this during your initial "chat", no surprises, no question about whether you are hiding something. IMHO, possessing a CHL and sharing that info establishes that you are a law-abiding citizen and should make subsequent conversation more positive...

Note: I have had my CHL less than one year and am in no hurry to test this theory. :)

Ccw

In Arizona it's not mandatory you disclose you have a permit but probably a good idea. I tell my students this but when you do disclose you are packing you leave it up to the officer where you go from there. And you are required to let him take it once you notify him you have one on you.

In Ohio, . . . like several others, . . . it is mandatory.

But even without that, . . . I believe it is just being courteous to the LEO if one does it, . . . and a little courtesy never hurt anyone.

May God bless,
Dwight

I just went thru this last week (speeding ticket:o ), I handed it to the officer and he asked if I was carrying my weapon, I said yes, he asked where it was, I said briefcase, he said, do me a favor and keep away from your briefcase. He proceeded to write me a ticket and didn't seem to care much about it.

It makes sense to make them aware, and common courtesy. While in Northern Ireland if I was in civvies and armed [which was most of the time]; when you pass through a security checkpoint on foot it was the done thing to have your ID card in your palm. When it came for your turn to be searched you could give the security or Police guy a glimpse of the card and whisper to him that you were 'Security Forces Carrying' or 'SF Carrying'.

They all knew the score and switched their metal detector to stand-by discreetly as you stepped through it, so as not to compromise your identity. I imagine that a variation of this theme would be appropriate in the US, where you are legally authorised to carry if you have a CCW permit.

here in Fla. you are NOT required to disclose to a LEO that you're armed but I do. Put yourself in their shoes. All of a sudden the driver reaches for something and there's a gun on his/her hip. Tension goes wayyy up, LEO goes condition RED. Not a good thing.
Here on the West coast of Fla. they don't call for backup.
But your'e going to spend some quality time talking about guns. The LEO may secure gun for the duration of the stop and maybe even run the serial number to see if it's stolen.
Best part is, go with the flow and be nice and you're not getting that ticket you richly deserve.

AFS

Fifth Amendment

'No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb, nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.'

As stated, it is not required in Florida. I have done both methods to date. On one occasion, I informed the LEO and he disarmed be during the remainder of the stop. On the second occasion, I never informed them and they never knew I was armed.

every time I've gotten a ticket while armed they freak out like I just threatened their lives by handing my concealed pistol license out with the driver's license :rolleyes:

Another thought would be to alter the behavior that causes one to be stopped by the police in the first place. When I look back at the 46 years I have had a drivers license and the times I was stopped it was for STUPID things. Driving an old POS car with numerous equipment violations to driving at 100 in a 55 mph zone. Once I altered my behavior, I didn't get stopped any more.

I have had a Carry Permit since I was 21 (41 years ago) and have ALWAYS made it a practice of handing it to the officer with my DL and Insurance Card. Have never had the "bracelts" applied or the weapon removed. Just admonished to keep hands away from it. Most officers thanked me for the advance notice. They all stated that they hated surprises.

My last encounter was with a Sheriff's Deputy investigating an accident where someone with an accute case of "cranial rectal inversion" ran into the back of my Pickup at a stop sign. He handed the CPL back to me and walked off to his car. No further questions or instructions. If you are legal, your legal. If not, prepare for the "treatment".

Absolutely...whether required by law or not. I am a responsible, courteous carryer and do not with to do anything to contribute to the image of gun owners as potential loonies

WildtheaveragejoeAlaska

Its not required here in PA. If they dont ask, I dont offer. I dont see any reason to bring it up, and I really dont see that its any of their business. I dont ask to see theirs. :)

It's not really concealed from the cop once he/she pulls you over and runs your license though SamD. Sure it may not be visible, but he/she is going to know that you are carrying. Why try to piss the cop off by hiding something that he/she knows you most likely carrying?

Triggerhappy, what exactly does your post have to do with the original question?

Just keep in mind, a little courtesy goes a long way!

kymasabe, according to packing.org for Florida, you don't have to notify an officer that you are carrying. More often than not though, I've heard it actually helps you and your situation out. (Last time I got pulled over was in 2002, and I didn't have a CCW back then).

Back