Do you carry a PPQ?

The decocker on the P99AS is also a firing pin block. When depressed, the P99 cannot fire.

Thank you. That is really good to know.

I see your point!. I actually once bought a Sig P6 b/c that's what I saw a lot of polizei carrying. It was also a fine pistol, but eventually moved on as the bulk of my collection over took it for capacity and weight.
Collecting is a weird thing. When I was young and surplus guns were cheap, I didn't have any money. Now that I have a decent job and have some disposable income, everything is still out of reach. Can't win for losing.

I CC my PPQ M1 sometimes. I do admit I feel a little more at ease when holstering/un-holstering one of my DA/SA models. For that reason I usually CC my P-30. I started out shooting DA/SA which more than likely has a lot to do with it.

My PPQ has exceptional accuracy and it's the gun most like when I let others shoot all of my 9's side by side. For woods carry, I'll use any of my 9's since I'm not as worried about weight or size. I will also say that I wish more gun manufacturers offered models with the magazine release paddles of my PPQ and P-30.

No, I would not carry or use the PPQ for self defense. The trigger is simply too light for defensive purposes. No matter how safe, trained, and practiced you are, when the poop hits the fan, and the adrenaline flows, crazy things happen. So, why use a pistol with such a light trigger that you increase your probability of accidental discharge.

The Walther factory spec for the PPQ trigger pull being approx. 25 N (5.6 lbs) is within the currently popular "industry standard" for a LE duty pistol's trigger pull in the US. I see the current trigger travel is listed by Walther as .4", too.

Now, private handgun owners obviously ought to be aware of their own level of training and familiarity with handling any firearm they may choose to lawfully carry. Especially if they anticipate it may have to be used under stress.

It certainly makes sense that if someone thinks a trigger pull is too light for them, they would look for something with which they are more comfortable and confident using, and which they feel would be more suitable for meeting any skill and safety practice limitations they believe may be applicable to themselves.

Last time I looked, the state of MA didn't approve of a PPQ model, so there's probably no heavier trigger option available that was approved for MA compliance? They do, however, list the PPS, P99 AS/QA/990 and the discontinued SW99 series on their roster.

In my older Walther armorer manual the trigger pull for both the P99DAO/990 and the P99 QA is listed at 8.54lbs, which might be preferable for someone wishing a heavier trigger pull (although the P99 AS is listed at 9lbs DA & 4.5lbs SA).

Lots of selections being offered by the major makers nowadays, if someone wants to shop around (and depending what's available in their state).

Back