Do you carry a PPQ?

Thank you that one does work.

I always get a little concerned when people post videos on YouTube and turn off comments. It always strikes me as controlling the message and preventing questions (or suppressing people pointing out your mistakes). That said, in watching the video the assumption seems to be that the striker is releasing fully after the impacts, that’s why the subsequent trigger presses have no resistance.

However, I think the poster is missing something. There is also a striker block that will stop the striker from going forward and hitting the primer directly. The striker may be “released” at that point and the trigger essentially dead, but that’s not necessarily the same as detonating a primer. You could test for primer detonation with cases that have primers only or by using snap caps with tape on the back to check for a primer strike. Without the test for primer detonation the video alone wouldn’t really concern me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, could it be said the dead trigger result(safety)is a compromise for having such a "good" or light trigger?

What you’re seeing in the video isn’t really to do with the weight of the trigger press. It’s a function of the design and the fact that a blow to the rear of the firearm can cause the striker to slip off the catch (apologies for the incorrect term). The fact that the striker block is there to prevent such a thing from detonating a primer isn’t some happy accident. It’s by design. Hammer fired pistols also have firing pin blocks to prevent a blow to the rear of the slide, or perhaps the hammer slipping off the sear and falling forward, from detonating a primer. The same logic applies.

Only a design capable of cocking itself again wouldn’t have a dead trigger (what I call a true double action pistol). Many striker fired pistols and single action pistols would have the same dead trigger. It’s basically the same result as if you had a hard primer or light primer strike. You, tap, rack, and reasses (potentially bang if the tactical situation is unchanged). That failure drill exists for a reason. It’s worth noting that a P99 wouldn’t, as far as I can tell, have the same dead trigger and it still has a good trigger pull assuming the DA doesn’t bother you.

I mean no offense by this, but if this pistol is causing you this level of consternation, why not carry something else? The market is full of pistols that are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://youtu.be/DciqKh59DH8 by "Sootch".

Walther P99 AS vs. PPQ.
* At 5:23 he decocks the P99's SA trigger into Double Action.

To repeat from my previous comments, I certainly find the trigger's DA 'stacking' better than with any stock HK USP or P30.
The P99 AS' DA pull has a very smooth, almost "linear" increase in tension (stacking), and prefer it just a little bit more than with my "true Sig 225" ('87) or Sig P228 ('94), possibly prefer it even a bit more than with my stock CZ PCR/75D.

Last edited:
Thank you for the video. Great morning watch. He definitely shows the P99 with a higher margin of safety, but chooses the PPQ. Having a P99, I would also like to acquire a PPQ, but don't know if I would carry it.

As for stacking, my p229 has none(per Sig Armorer); this leaves me aware of the stacking in the p99 which is easy to get over. The P2000 LEM is completely consistant.

Last edited:
Tunnelrat nailed it.

The glock dingus and P99 back of the trigger are both trigger stops (not safeties). They stop the trigger from moving with moves the firing pin block. Always remember when someone calls the dingus a safety. It's not a finger safety. It's a firing pin block safety for dropping the gun.

The P320 was recalled and the TRIGGER was changed. Why? The drop released the striker, but the drop also was moving the trigger. Boom. Fired round.

The P99 is revolutionary in it's trigger is the dingus. The back of the trigger acts as the dingus when the trigger pulled. No dingus needed.

I know a lot about the P99/PPQ series. What I don't know is why the P99RAD/PPQ has the dingus. Walther had the P99AS, QA, and DA with the built in trigger block moving part on the back the trigger.

Why the PPQ went with a dingus when the P99 trigger doesn't need it because it's designed on the back of the trigger??? I really wonder if they were trying to make people think Glock when seeing it. But again, doesn't make sense. The PPQ is a single action 100% sprung striker. Glocks are not SA with 68% sprung.

Woops- my "Sootch" video was a duplicate.:o

To be extremely clear: I've never been very aware of trigger reset distance and other similar details, known and appreciated by very well-trained handgun connoisseurs.
My goal this time--to be quite frank;) (no pun intended)-- was to have a SA/DA handgun type >>used by some of the German police<<, but not the HK USP or P30 type of DA trigger with heavier 'stacking' (tension increase at the end of the pull).

I like the DA trigger a bit more than with my standard Sig P228, 'true' P225 ('87) and also a bit better than the stock DA pull of my CZ PCR.

Last edited:
I 've acquired my pistols for similar reasons. As TunnelRat said "this pistol is causing you this level of consternation, why not carry something else? The market is full of pistols that are different." This is great advice for me, however, the lure of shooting tighter groups with the Q gnaws at me.

Ignition Override
As for the P99 AS, its a shame that HK couldn't design/manufacture such a nice DA trigger in their P 30. Never mind a lighter pull in their USPs.

This DA on the P99 has better "stacking" than my CZ PCR and Sig P228.
The more I shoot this P99, the more I Really like it.

And I mean using > only < DA for about half of my shots.

I can't speak to the HKs. I backed into the P99s by accident. When I saw that the P99 in .40 could load 12 rounds instead of the 10 in my .40 CZ 100, I migrated to replace my woods gun. Then the bonuses of great trigger in DA/SA, great grip, etc just filled in the cracks. I was sold and bought a P99as in 9mm for city carry.

Ignition Override:
Do you guys notice how many people (--seasoned handgun shooters--) try out a gun which they are told is DA/SA...but Only shoot with the hammer (or striker) already cocked?

This always leaves me curious why they are only comfortable using SA----
I carry in DA mode, but I admit that usually at the range, when I let the slide down on a new magazine, letting off the pre-cocked trigger seems a bit backwards. My theory is you pick up all sorts of habits unconsciously and I don't want to find myself in a real live "bad situation" decocking my pistol after a mag swap b/c of habit. When I start a shooting string, I start DA. After that, usually SA until done. That's my theory. I can't speak for shooters smarter and more experienced than me.

doofus47: Taking only the first shot in DA seems reasonable, and duplicates typical practice, I suppose.

My problem was finally getting the first real "gun bug" at age 52:o (2007)--just rifles-- and at about 59 finally seeing the appeal of handguns :o:)(WW2 Sauer 38H my first), then carrying.

https://postmediamontrealgazette2.f...l-of-the-airportthe.jpeg?quality=55&strip=all

Having been to Germany about six times, possibly officers like this (...the one on the Left...for the wise guys...) might help might explain my Solid preference for present or former German police handguns (my Sigs, Walther P99 AS).

Last edited:
The PPQ is really nice for a consistent trigger pull. For DA/SA, the P99 is excellent. You don't get hammer feedback for reholstering but you do get a decent double action, a beautifully short reset, and a single action that's even better than the PPQ. Being a DA/SA guy, I'd naturally choose the P99 for carry over the PPQ.

I like the form factor on both of these guns. They are relatively compact and low-snag for full-sized guns. I really like the long paddle release on the P99 and PPQ M1. It is easy to operate with a trigger finger without repositioning grip. This might be rare but some button releases can be accidentally depressed if you hit a counter or table corner the right way. The paddle release tends to be protected by holsters.

Depending on your style, one of these could be an excellent carry choice.

Upon pressing the decocker while pulling DA, the trigger still functions; are you saying the striker under this condition will not hit the primer?

It will not.

It's the same issue as the video posted.

You think it fired, it did not. If you keep pressing the decocker down, and pull the trigger on a round, the round will not go off.

Releasing the striker vs primer hit. Two different things.

The decocker on the P99AS is also a firing pin block. When depressed, the P99 cannot fire.

Back