Do you carry +1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would never carry a gun with out one in the tube as soon as I pull that out I am now viewed as a target with a lethal weapon when in reality all I have is a very expensive paperweight. On the range that's fine if you chose to carry that way. In a situation where you may have to deploy it its potentially suicidal.

I like handguns and I'm almost never without one but in all honesty a handgun is a very ineffective weapon even in the most capable hands you should not further hamstring yourself in any way shape or form.

If, God forbid, you really need that gun, you are going to need it RIGHT NOW.

Why in the name of all that's holy would a sane person make a thought out decision to carry a life or death rescue tool in a non functional state.

1 in the chamber pretty much always. The only time I don't is when it is straight pocket carry or carrying using the built-in clip without a holster.

Always Carry One In The Chamber

Since my life depends on it, I carry full capacity and want to be ready.

Things can happen fast and there are no do overs. Why would you not carry one in the chamber?

I don't carry '+1' but I always carry with 1 in the chamber. Load a magazine, insert into gun, rack the slide. So there is one in the chamber but the capacity is not +1, just what the magazine carries (15 rds).

You carry 14 rds. + 1. The + refers to the round in the chamber and isn't negated by downloading your 15 rd. mag. by one. ;)

The M1 Rifle uses "clips" to hold the ammo togther so it can be inserted into the magazine of the rifle. Our semi-autos don't take clips. They take detachable magazines.

In Israel, they carry their guns unloaded. Here, we don't.

Someone once pointed out that a terrorist attack happening around you doesn't require, perhaps, as much quick access to a gun as a criminal attack we're more likley to experience here in the US. Personally, I think the Israelis recognize the need to be armed (on the one hand), but they're a paranoid (on the other). Even their secret service equivilent carrys chamber unloaded, but they're very well trained to draw, rack and shoot.

For you and me, the unloaded (chamber empty) gun puts us in more danger. It means we may not be able to deploy it, or that we'll be fumbling around trying to get it loaded. A while back, I saw a video of a man getting killed when he attempted to draw his gun and rack the slide. He didn't make it. He was executed at close range by the 3 thugs who came in suddenly. There WAS time to draw and shoot. But not to draw and fumble and then have to do it again. His draw wasn't very smooth, either.

As he drew his weapon, the bad guys didn't pee their pants and head back out the door. They closed quickly and shot him as he AGAIN tried to rack the slide. Video might have been on this site, but I'm not sure. If you want to carry your gun unloaded, good luck.

OK, I'm in a finniky mood today. Had a root canal and the pain meds seem to have put me in an instructional frame of mind with respect to technicalities. :D

Last edited:
I carry a 1911 with one in the chamber, a full magazine, cocked and locked; for over 30 years.

I see defensive pistol use as "catch up".
The threat begins the action, I have to respond.
I'm out of time.
I need to move and/or shoot - right now.

Yes. And I have all the chambers loaded when I carry my revolver, too.

Be prepared.

That's what a CHL is for. An empty chamber would likely be more than an inconvenience in the unlikely event you ever had to draw your weapon.

I've been in on this question a few times before and have weighed in with some enthusiasm. Instead of replicating that, let me simply pose a question.

If you were asked to make a choice; which knife would you choose to keep in your pocket for self defense?

This...
swmp1bs.jpg

Or This...?
311Q5FV21KL._SL500_AA300_1.jpg

Well... that's simple as Heck, Right? Obviously the one you can operate with one hand quickly. I don't want to worry about grabbing it with my right hand, using my left thumbnail to dig out the blade, and change my grip before I'm ready to use it, ESPECIALLY if I'm being attacked in the meantime.

Think about it.

~LT

PS- G19 (17+1) ALWAYS, or M&P9 (17+1) ALWAYS.

If you can't manage with a chamber empty carry, maybe you need more training. Anyway, one of my guns makes a pretty good club and it even takes a bayonet, though I don't have one.

Just had this convo at work. Out of five of us, I was the only one with one in the pipe. Also, I was the only one who carried 40 or bigger.

They had all been trained to not do either by their CCW instructor. So, yes, ignorance can be taught. JMNSHO

To say you can teach ignorance doesn't make sense. Who told you that? And are you saying that some instructor is teaching people not to carry anything bigger than 9mm?

When I carry an auto, I always have the chamber loaded but the magazine usually contains nine instead of ten. This gives me a place to store the round that was in the chamber should I decide to unload the pistol.

I'd rather have one round in the chamber with an empty magazine than a full magazine with an empty chamber.

I don't see the point in carrying an auto pistol if you don't have one in the chamber. I carry chambered all day every day, be it the striker-fired Glock, or cocked and locked 1911. 90% of the time, the former.

To say you can teach ignorance doesn't make sense. Who told you that? And are you saying that some instructor is teaching people not to carry anything bigger than 9mm?
Makes perfect sense.
That's the way I read it and if it's right I have to agree. Some ignorant soul is teaching his ignorance to others.

Thanks for the reply's guys!

My main reason for not carrying with one in the chamber is safety reasons. I could never forgive myself if it somehow accidentally went off and hit a loved one. Although, now that I think about this is highly unlikely to happen. I might have to reconsider this now.

Thanks for the reply's guys!

My main reason for not carrying with one in the chamber is safety reasons. I could never forgive myself if it somehow accidentally went off and hit a loved one. Although, now that I think about this is highly unlikely to happen. I might have to reconsider this now.
Sounds like you need to learn more about your carry weapon. The more you know about it the more comfortable you will be carrying it fully ready for action.

1911Alaska said:
...My main reason for not carrying with one in the chamber is safety reasons. I could never forgive myself if it somehow accidentally went off and hit a loved one. Although, now that I think about this is highly unlikely to happen. I might have to reconsider this now.
Some good training can help.

1911Alaska, I don't know what you carry, though I might guess a 1911, were I a gambling man. With that said, most modern firearms of decent quality are very unlikely to "accidentally" discharge, provided that you exercise safe handling. Most accidental discharges are the result of user error. I agree with kinggabby, though, and think that you should probably become more familiar with your carry weapon. There's no downside to knowing more about your gun or getting some training.

Once you're more familiar, or have gotten some training, with respect to whether to carry with one in the chamber, there's a video that you might check out: Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back