Do you carry +1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not +1, but 1 in the chamber

I don't carry '+1' but I always carry with 1 in the chamber. Load a magazine, insert into gun, rack the slide. So there is one in the chamber but the capacity is not +1, just what the magazine carries (15 rds).

Question for everyone who carries. Also for LEO.

You obviously carry with your clip full, but do you carry with one in the chamber?

And if you are a in law enforcement, security ect. Do you carry with one in the chamber while on duty?

I do not carry with one in the chamber and probably never will. But I could see the benefits of it if I were a on duty police officer.

Isn't that about the same logic as having a pocket knife handle in one pocket and the blade in your billfold?

Or maybe your tomahawk head on a string around your neck and the handle in your back pocket?

Nahhhhh, . . . 1911, . . . 8+1, . . . cocked and locked, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

I don't carry topped-off magazines- the magazines on the guns I carry are too hard to seat if I fully load.

I always carry loaded, though. My carry guns aren't heavy enough to be effective clubs.

Isn't that about the same logic as having a pocket knife handle in one pocket and the blade in your billfold?
More like carrying a knife that locks closed - which I actually do. The inconvenience of it taking a few seconds more to get my knife open - for me - is outweighed by the risk of having my knife open in mu pocket and cut me. I think that's basically the argument that people who don't like one in the pipe use.

For me it depends on the gun. With single actions (before I sold them off) I preferred to not rely so much on mechanical safety and therefore never felt comfortable "cocked and locked" so nothing in the pipe. Since switching to double actions I have kept one in the pipe, but no +1. In 99% of self defense situations it probably won't make any difference, but then again, if I wasn't a person who cared about marginal risk I probably wouldn't bother to carry a gun at all.

On an interesting side note, there was a thread a few weeks back about a cop's "+1" not going off due the the fact that the powder had been knocked out of the primer over the course of several months of unloading/loading his duty gun. So, I guess if you're going to carry one in the pipe make sure you replace your ammo on a regular basis - or just leave it loaded.

Either way, you're certainly going to be better armed than if you don't have a gun, and to be honest, I care not one iota what decision anyone else decides is best for them.

I think the question was do you "top off", not do you carry charged/cocked/condition one.

This thread may be too far gone. May be time to make a new one with a clearer subject.

As for myself, I dont +1 my HD pistol. (Illinois...) I would with different circumstances, but I have to unload it too often, to me its just not worth it.

Maybe the day will come when I shoot at the boogey man 14 times and then I need one more and wish I had it, but I like to think that the difference between 14 and 14+1 is negligible. Besides Ive got 14 more ready to go.

Too many disadvantages to not carry with a round chambered, if you don't feel safe carrying a firearm with the round chambered, get more firearms training. The point i'm trying to make is, it is perfectly safe to carry a handgun with a round chambered, especially with the presence of an external safety. If you don't feel safe doing so you may not be ready to carry a firearm.

More like carrying a knife that locks closed - which I actually do. The inconvenience of it taking a few seconds more to get my knife open - for me - is outweighed by the risk of having my knife open in mu pocket and cut me.

That's why I carry a fixed blade.

And if you are a in law enforcement, security ect. Do you carry with one in the chamber while on duty?

:headbang:

:eek:

Why would a cop NOT carry in the chamber? have you ever watched a shooting video?

Anyways, yes always in the chamber and never 15+1 in my Glock. I THINK it damages the spring/frame.

I put a full magazine(no round in the chamber) to test if it fit flush in my sig p238, it did but caused a scar on the top round. I think the frames of guns presses up a little with all that pressure on it because no where else to compress.

My carry guns aren't heavy enough to be effective clubs.
Thats the problem with my plastic guns. :rolleyes: Thought I wouldn't want to be that close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back