Do You Buy Innovative Handguns?

I have made several trips to the LGS to check out new handguns, and have always been interested in new designs and features. However, my last few gun purchases have all been older model or bucket list guns. It seems that even if I go to see the newest generation polymer wonder nine, I am more likely to leave with a 1911 variant or even a revolver. I can't tell if I am just getting older and am less compelled to buy the newest design, or if this is fairly normal buying behavior. Do many of you adopt new firearm technologies immediately?

Different tech intrigues me, but I usually don't end up buying it.

Gun purchases are few and far between. I don't have the spare cash to just buy something interesting.

I (was) interested in the Remington R51 reboot. But, my XDS is right here, and works, and is smaller.

I am (somewhat) interested in the Walther CCP. But, again, my XDS covers that niche pretty well.

These days, pretty much all innovation is in materials and manufacturing.

Yeah, I think all the innovations I mentioned were either this or some kind of configuration made possible by this. It deserves credit though. I think this is an exciting time to be alive with respect to firearms technology.

The responses make me feel better about hesitating to buy new designs. I would like to support innovation, but I also cannot afford to be a beta tester. Recently, I've been moving backward and buying guns that I've wanted for years. I recently picked up a S&W 642 Airweight and a North American Arms 22. The last "new" design I picked up was the Ruger 22lr Charger pistol, but that wasn't much of a risk due to the reliability of the 10-22 it was based on.

Do You Buy Innovative Handguns? YES

Have an early stainless steel Desert Eagle in 44 magnum, innovative gas operated with rotating bolt. No regrets.

Springfield Armory Omega (Peter Stahls) linkless 1911 with interchangeable barrels. 38 Super, 45 ACP, and 10mm. Would never part with it.

Boberg XR9S, First successful bullpup designed semi-auto. Fabulous engineering and machine work. Carry it daily.

Ruger Charger (take-down), just a fun all around gun to play with.

(OK, its a rifle) Knight MK85 Blackpowder rifle. First year production of a modern inline blackpowder rifle. Opened the door for all other in-line actions made today.

Oh dang...I was getting really excited about the Boberg XR9S (It's now Bond Arms)...until I saw the price. $1100. Ouch.
That is one exciting and innovative pistol.

$1100 is a good price, when the Bobergs first came out they were over $1300. Certainly no cheap plastic gun with a cheap price, but a well crafted machining work of art.

I am in california. Innovation is not legal here!

Seriously- if it isn't on our 'list' of approved firearms, we can't import it.

And, if it holds more than 10 rounds I can't have a mag that size anyway.

Thus, no new innovations since about 2008 have been approved. And the list keeps shrinking. And, any innovation that is about capacity is a moot point.

Luckily I like older stuff too. If it is over 50 years old, the C&R exemption to the list kicks in and I am ok.

Lately, my purchases have all been pre-1960 steel. CZ 24, Femaru 37, Colt OMM, Colt 3 5 7, Ballester Molina, S&W K22, etc.

Now, if I lived in a state with truly free choices, I don't know what I'd do- but I gravitate toward older designs.

to the point that I'd probably be fine with some BHP derivative, a 1911 variation, High Standard .22 semis and older [pre 60s] revolvers, IF I HAD TO.

While I'm not particularly worried about not being included in the Reindeer games, I will get
a new design, from time to time. Right now I have a slew of rifles which I'm attempting
to accurize out of "prop-rod" status, with some success. OTOH, lately, I've been trying
to find accurate pairs of pistol carbine combos.

That said, I've been having a lot of success with the FN 5.7. Light, accurate, and with
serious close-range punch, I guess partly due to velocity, but also perhaps due to
the round's Spitzer shape? It works, pure and simple, IMO the gel tests for this round
are very deceptive.

My range and home defense handguns are pretty old school, Ruger and S&W revolvers and older military side arms like 1911's, CZ75's and Hi Powers.

But I guess I do tend to purchase "innovative" conceal carry guns. The caveat is I never buy them until they've been in the market for at least a year to see how they do.

First was my LCP. You could argue Kel-tec did the innovation on this one, but it was still one of the first successful micro .380's and it kicked off a buying frenzy on .380 acp ammo. Then came my P938 which I consider innovative because it's so small but shoots as well as a larger gun. Now I've got my eye on a Kimber K6 and will probably pick on up in the next year or so.

Do many of you adopt new firearm technologies immediately?

No. First, I don't have a lot of disposable income and new, innovative, etc. guns tend to cost more, often a lot more when they are first released. Second, new, innovative, etc. guns often come with design problems which I rather avoid. Third, I tend to scrutinize gun purchases as I don't want to essentially get the same thing again unless it somehow beats out what I have already.

Do You Buy Innovative Handguns?

No, I buy handguns the same way I buy a truck or motorcycle, I buy what appeals to me and what I enjoy shooting or what I enjoy driving or riding. This has led in my case, over the years, to a safe stuffed with older S&W and Colt revolvers as well as a pile of Series 70 Colt 1911 guns. So while not adverse to newer innovative guns I tend to buy what I enjoy and let my brother buy the new innovative guns and then I shoot them. :)

Ron

Yeah, so I have to admit definitely am drawn by "innovations" such as the Sig P365 (for example) in a quest to find the "perfect gun" for my use.

However, I'll admit that this is a character flaw, and I'm working on it. I've owned basically all the new poly 9's... and for the most part they're more similar than different. Trying to change my perspective and work my way "backwards" with my collection: going after truly unique and historic guns.

"Do you buy innovative handguns?"

No. I buy handguns that were historically innovative, C93, P-08, 1911, BHP, P220, Model-10/19/27 etc. I don't like being a beta tester i.e. Kimber Solo, R51, P365, etc. I would like an H9 tho, maybe in a couple of years...

There was a Guns and Ammo magazine issue I bought back in 1998 that had a very big impact on what guns I bought. I ended up buying several guns written about in that issue. However......all but one of those has been sold now. Great ideas badly executed.

The Colt Pony. It was pretty small for its day, weather-resistant, and more powerful than a .32 Auto but mine had issues firing anything other than +P and the trigger pin would come out under recoil. :eek: The trigger pull was pretty bad.

The CZ 100. I am not a fan of Glocks and that thing seemed to be just what I wanted for my rental cop job. Customer service from CZ was so good I wrote a letter to the magazine and it was printed. :) However, the trigger had so much grit and the company refused to address that.

Both handguns are now discontinued but I was able to do well on resale.

The S&W air weight revolver fills my placebo along with versions of Kahr, 1911, and the Browning Hi Power. I feel completely served by those four designs. I'd like to see better retention holsters made along the lines of Safariland ALS though.

I buy mostly older designed stuff, in steel if possible, but not going back to 1911's. I don't like the grip or the gun in general much. Pretty, but I'm done with them as of a long time ago. I do have a couple of polymer guns, CZ and Walther types, no Glocks, M&P's, XD'x, etc. DAO is something I don't like usually, but I love my P220 with a tuned DAK trigger. Only one striker gun at this point, a Canik TP9v2, but the other 2 polymer guns are TDA. The Canik will soon be gone, it's a good gun, but all my striker guns have all been bad in the past and I can't get past it enough to trust it fully. In the future are a couple of traditional type CZ's and Sigs.

"Innovative" handguns? Why, yes. Yes I do.

My last two purchases, a 1911 and a CZ-75BD were both very innovative when they first hit the market ... in 1911 and in 1975, respectively.

Still waiting for the "inovative" Volley Fire to be released. Seems Standard Manufacturing is more interested in their double barrel pump shotgun, and AR platform rifles.

The Glock has been around for 35 years and there's tons of copy cats at this point. I'd hardly call that innovative. It was innovative in it's day. So was the 1911.

Maybe my TC Encore break action fits the criteria :

Chambered in .243 Win , superb accuracy shooting benchrest as long as you have no coffee in yer system ! ;) . I'm at about 4.5 MOA at 200 meters and I am a flinch freak !

Back