Do You Buy Innovative Handguns?

No...I tend to gravitate to tried and true .
Colt 1911 in 45 acp, Ruger Blackhawk - 357 magnum, S&W model 58 - 41 magnum, Walther P38 - 9mm, Winchester model 94. - 30-30 ..

Gee I didn't realize how old school I am...
Gary

Other than changes in manufacturing processes and materials, what real innovations have there been since the 1920s?

I think the double-stack, high-capacity magazine may be the most recent handgun innovation that really has had any impact on the handgun's usefulness as a weapon?

Some firearms I consider innovative are:
1. Beretta ARX-100
2. FN PS 90
3. FN Five-Seven
4. Desert Tech MDR
5. Desert Tech SRS
6. FN FS-2000

In the handgun space, other than the Five-Seven I don't really consider the others innovative. Polymer is just a different material. I do like exceptional engineering, have 1 & 2 and plan on adding 5.

TheGunGeek, you missed Glock on your list. Not just because of the innovative use of modern materials, but innovative simplicity in design as well.

A few of the things I am actively looking for and will buy if the opportunity presents itself.

The Kel Tec PMR-30 (a .22 Mag semi-auto with a flush fitting double stack 30 round magazine).
The FN 5.7 pistol.
Neither are brand new, but fairly new and different. Why do I want them ? Because I think they are cool. As I said before, I have umpteen S&W revolvers and more than a half dozen 1911s. They are somewhat boring to me.

I just ordered one of those 80% "Glock" frames to finish.
Why ? Just for the heck of it. I own a half dozen Glocks in 9mm. The 43, the 26, the 34, two 17s, and a 17L. I don't own a 19. So, rather than just going out and buying a 19, I figured I would make one. Because, why not ? I couldn't care less if it costs me more or less than just buying one. I want to do it.

I am definitely not one of these guys that views guns as tools. I don't need some specific reason or purpose to own a gun. I buy and shoot guns because it is fun. Part of the fun for me is trying new things. FWIW: I don't care about hunting or the defensive use of firearms. I might hunt. I might carry a CCW pistol. But those purposes are way, way down the list of why I might buy or own a gun.

Glock's real success was marketing, not engineering or manufacturing.

They convinced the market that a gun costing $100 to make, was close enough in utility to a $600 gun that you'd pay $500 for the Glock.

Glock's real success was marketing, not engineering or manufacturing.
Yeah, the Safe Action Trigger, simplicity of design, rock solid performance, reliability, and light weight had absolutely nothing to do with both their success, and industry wide mimicking!:eek:

Yeah, Glock is a great pistol, but I fail to see how it (and any other polymer pistol) should cost more than $400.

I think the reason new Glock's cost over $500 is because they're mostly selling them to military and police and they have taxpayer's money to pay for it.

Innovative design, absolutely. Before the Glock, every gun was all steel, had to have a hammer, didn't have any magazines that were compatible across different models, were put together like a Swiss watch so the teardown and cleaning took half a day.

Glock said, "It doesn't have to be this way..." and did his thing.

And never did anything else beyond that.

This isn't Economics 101 and people's fantasy view of what things should cost.

Go read about restaurant food pricing vs. cost.

Back to topic or this one is closed. It's cool to complain about Glocks. You go and invent the competitor for $75 and then come back and tell us about your economic and engineering genius.

Innovation is fine, but not one of the things high on my list when choosing a firearm. I'm more interested in durability, reliability, low parts count, lack of cheap fasteners (like roll pins), and overall design execution.

Innovation can be good and lead to success, but neither is a sure thing. Consider the P7, versus the Colt 2000, and Ruger Hawkeye (handgun).

Last edited:
wmg1299 asked:
Do many of you adopt new firearm technologies immediately?

Not really sure how to answer that.

Are we talking a new caliber? A new way of building guns (i.e. polymer frame vs. steel)? A new operating principle (i.e. blow-forward vs. blow-back)?

In general, I become aware of a need for a gun when I have a specific need (or occasionally a strong want) and then I locate a gun that meets those requirements. When I wanted a 9mm pistol to shoot 991 rounds of brass I was going to reload (not intending to shoot more since I was already invested in my M1911), I shopped purely on price. So, in that case I didn't go looking for a new technology.

TheGunGeek, you missed Glock on your list. Not just because of the innovative use of modern materials, but innovative simplicity in design as well.

It's because I personally don't consider the Glock that innovative or special. They made a cheap, reliable gun with poor user function IMO. Their marketing team has done a great job selling the product through cost and reliability stunts, but that's all.

Oh, yawn. What did I say? Folks are oh so smart with their critiques of Glocks.

Can we stop this diversion in the thread and answer the question. It speaks to the new waves of guns coming out.

One more chance to stay on topic or get it closed and you get infracted for off topic posts.

No.

I buy old Smith and Ruger revolvers.

I trust em. Not so much the "innovative" stuff. Wanted to trust my LCP-II new in box till in busted hard on box #2 of shells. Yuck.

I'll tuck an old wheelgun in my belt and have no qualms.

The 1911 was one of the more innovative handguns.

So, yes.

I own a Gewehr rifle, too. Innovative but not successful.

Regards,

Josh

I do have a couple I would consider innovative. A couple milsurps. CZ 52 with it's MG42 roller lock system. An 1895 Nagant with it's sliding cylinder. In the commercial gun category I guess my most innovative is a Kel-Tec PMR 30.
I was interested in the USFA ZIP 22, and probably would buy one for the right price. Even with the unanimous poor reviews. Now I am waiting patiently for the Standard Manufacturing Volley Fire to be brought to market.
Never really warmed up to the Taurus View with it's clear side plate, or the Curve. I have my limits! LOL

Back