Do we need Hi-Capacity in everyday Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AgedWarrior put it right....
What is of paramount importance is the individual not be denied the freedom to choose what they perceive is needed, regardless of cultural expectations or peer pressure.
Emphasis added...Rod

Will you ever need to use violence .... probably not if you live a decent life and follow the social contract if you will.

Will you ever need a firearms.....heck less the the above

Will you ever need to actually discharge a firearm in anger......heck now we are really down in the statistical weeds.

Will your discharge of a firearm require more then 1-3 shots. Lottery territory.

Will your discharge require 10 or more shots.......the world hates you, God hates you, fate hates you chances.

Actually, about depending on who you listen too and which statistics are more accurate between 1 in 300 and 1 in 1000 Americans will need to use a gun for self defense. Living in a good neighborhood has been debunked numerous times. When the fight comes it will be what the fight will be.

Is it the face eating bath salt user or the first time violent offender? Step right up and take your chances......

https://www.heritage.org/firearms/c...earms-should-disarm-second-amendment-skeptics

The average number of rounds fired in self defense is two. (https://www.secondcalldefense.org/shots-justifiable)

That is great if your fight is "average" How many gunfights were used to develop that nifty statistic? Who did the research? The article uses that statistic. The only time I have ever seen less than 2 shots were shootings where the BG was hit and fell down behind something. But, I have been told that my person experience does not count as it is statistically irrelevant.

I do not necessarily believe that a hicap 9mm that you shoot OK with is a good replacement for a 6 shot 357 that you can split playing cards with.

Nanuk:
The only time I have ever seen less than 2 shots were shootings where the BG was hit and fell down behind something. But, I have been told that my person experience does not count as it is statistically irrelevant.
It's sure statistically RELEVANT to you!! Experience being a stern tutor and all that....and by the way, thanks for your service over the years. Brother in law retired fromt the BP 5+ years ago up in Havre...great guy, superb shot...he paid his dues. Last name Small...Best Regards, Rod

If someone is carrying a firearm just in case, then it would make sense to carry one that can hold more rounds just in case.

Me going for breakfast, hot off the stove! The left pocket of track pants, cell phone, right Glock 43X. Expecting trouble? No, but you never know.

Nanuk,

I agree. I'm much more comfortable with a gun that I can hit with, fits my hand better and that I can TRUST to function, as opposed to the latest, greatest, tacticool, polymer wonder gun to hit the market.
A powerful revolver (.38, .357, .44 or .45 Colt), with extra ammo, is my preferred weapon for off duty carry. Plus, all that heavy wood and steel make a great improvised, last ditch impact weapon when and if the wolves come for you. ;)

Last edited:
I have enjoyed this discussion perhaps more than I have enjoyed any other discussion on this forum. It has been very informative, with good points on both sides. Bottom line -- I am satisfied with my original decision to carry an XD9 with 15 rounds. Easy to carry? Yep. Easy to shoot? Yep. Do I shoot well with it? A deputy sheriff told me that I shoot better than most of his fellow deputies. Will I ever actually NEED it (or the extra rounds)? Probably not, but there is a lot of territory not covered by "probably".

D

I've tried half a dozen different smaller sized hi-cap pistols for carry but always come back to my LC9s. It's not too heavy, I shoot it very well out to ten yards, it's small and easily concealed, and it's been 100% reliable over more than 3000 rounds. I just carry a spare mag for more ammo and practice mag changes regularly.

Brother in law retired fromt the BP 5+ years ago up in Havre...great guy, superb shot...he paid his dues. Last name Small...

I retired out of North Dakota. Spent 8 years in western North Dakota. We know the same people but not sure we crossed paths.

As a retired scientist I only consider probability, not possibility. In theory nearly everything is "possible", but I cannot and will not dedicate brain time to everything that could possibly go wrong. Hence I only carry when the probability/consequence ratio pierces my threshold, which for me is rural walks and larger public places like movie theaters and malls.

When I do decide carry is appropriate, comfort takes precedence over capacity. With light summer wear I drop my LCP II in my pocket. In cooler jacket or coat weather, I pocket carry my 15 ounce 9mm SCCY with 10+1 capacity. I only holster carry when taking long rural walks where I don't mind having my shirt untucked. High capacity is important to me, but only to the extent that I am comfortable carrying.

As law-abiding citizens, in our everyday life?
Most of the time it may not be necessary inasmuch as usually there is only one assailant. However, I remember reading about a gang of several/many people assaulting persons on public transportation. Therefore, I think a reasonable answer would be, no but I acknowledge that their could be an unanticipated scenario in which a high-cap magazine may prove useful. In all, I have to admit that I do not know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin either. :rolleyes:

As law-abiding citizens, in our everyday life?

JohnKSa Wrote:

The bottom line is that NOBODY knows what your defensive encounter will look like or how many rounds you will need to live through it.

Yep this sums up my thinking, too.

I know my history "in everyday life" but can not/will not try to predict my future.
I can't see into my "anyday/everyday" future and don't know anyone who can.

So many different thoughts on my original question, very good ones too!
Seems like the only time I will go to 15#1, and a reload, is our yearly ReQual, Security G license shoot. My Son and I, his Company in Orlando.

The Glock 43X is so much more carriable? Not a word? OK. But it vanishes under one of my many Florida shirts. At one time I carried a Colt 45 LW Commander, McCormick aftermarket magazine, plus one locked and cocked, 8 plus 1 = 9 rounds of 200g hollow points. Did I feel adequately armed? Because it was a .45? No, I am not going to fall into that quagmire .45 or 9mm! But the Colt LW carried well.

After passing into the real Grandad zone 84 YOA yesterday! I have settled on the 43X Glock 9mm. With a spare 10 round magazine.
And passed my Dads predicted life span of 35 years of age. The second time I was stabbed at the Cavern Club of Beatles fame, on Mattew Street in Liverpool UK! Homemade Ice Pick! Into right wrist, not the sternum aimed for! If anyone travels to Liverpool, check out the list of names behind the night closed only, steel door at The Cavern Pub, still on Mattew Street, names of the Groupes, and Bouncers! Mike H. Is I.
That spelling is the way it is pronounced (Mattew) in Liverpool? Might be, Matthew as in the apostle's name. And carry your cell phone in a deep pocket!

Last edited:
I don't really know the OP but keep wondering if he has a mouse in his pocket.
I almost always have a mouse in my pocket. In fact I tend to carry a mouse rather than any of my bigger, more powerful, higher capacity guns by a very wide margin.

Never! It has to be in a holster, outside the belt, at 3-30 to 4. I have drawn from that position thousands of times. Not muscle memory, there is no such thing. The brain has memory!

Mind you my Glock (whichever one) now 43X. Goes into my track pants, right side on heading downstairs to eat breakfast, Cell phone left side.

Forget quick draw, it hangs up in pocket! As only my Wife and I are present, all doors locked, no worries.

I called the draw I taught, The Punch Draw.

Lift pistol straight up, (holster on belt straight, no cant) as it comes level with chest, wrist turns pistol to a horizontal position, meets the weak hand, and drives at target, the trigger is depressed as sights hit the target. But the trigger contact is taking place as the hands are still moving.

This is done at the time the pistol stops. Dry fire is king.

Three green dots in a straight line. That is what you see.

The same procedure as in the case of one hand firing.

TruGlo night sights are, in my opinion, the brightest, best sights. and the most expensive. My Son paid $129.00!
The Ameriglo were fitted at the factory on my 43X, are good also, best in daylight, the front sight has a red circle around the green trititigen dot.

With Glock sights, the crap plastic ones that come from the factory, are dead centre of the slide, but every night sight I ever mounted had to be mounted, a touch to the right side. Trial and error, sight tool on the range.
Except in the case of my Ameriglo sights in collaboration with Glock, were made expressly for Glock. Looking down at the rear sight, it is dead centre of the slide? And shoots exactly to point of aim.

Last edited:
I dislike ANY mention of the word "need" when dealing with ANY agency or group that is associated with government at ANY level. The mid set seems to be "I (or "we") will now decide what the citizens can or should have."

Slaves and the conquered are given what they need.
Free men get what they want.

something that I am sure has been brought up, but having a dead certainly reliable handgun and ammunition system trumps every other question. Nothing is more important, it might as well be the only concern. a limp wristed stove pipe on the first shot will make the discussion pointless for most people who concealed carry.

I might just possibly meet the Valkyries with an empty snub nosed revolver in my hand, looking around, and wondering how in the society I live in I could have used more than five shots and my desperation lock-blade knife. I'll be confused no doubt but it will have been what happens. Your fate is already decided you only get to chose how you will meet it and if this is my fate so be it.

So no. I do not need high capacity magazines. But the question was not singular in nature.

I have no idea what you need. As such I have no idea what the plural we needs. As I find paternalism to be morally suspect when we are discussing things involving able adults I have no desire to hazard a guess. You carry what you feel you need and I'll carry what I feel I need. We may laugh at each other and have civil conversation to discuss if our choices are right but in the end your choice is yours and answering what WE need is outside of my ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back