Do Collies Make Good Protection Dogs??

Which breed of dog would make the worst civilian protection dog?

• Collie

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • German Shepherd

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Rotweiller

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Doberman Pincher

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
MJN. Not much you can do about the German Shedder. High quality food is good, but even then sometimes the dog's system does not utilize the food to the fullest potential. You can try different brands of high quality food. But the change in the diet can upset the dog's system. Or you can try Prozyme. It is an additive of enzymes that aid in digestion. Helping the dog's system to break down and use the food better. Also do not over groom the dog. Over shampooing can irritate and cause more shedding. The dog's natural oils are best for it's hair. It may not smell as good, but it is better. Also over brushing the dog loosens hair. When it is shedding season, brushing the dog daily is ok. But after the coat is blown, cut back on the brushing. With the German Shepherd, Shedding is just part of the package. I'm used to my dog hair carpeted floor.

Boris: I would like to thank you for all the good dog information. This is a subject that always interests me, keep it coming.

You are correct sir

My research has been mostly of the reading variety. The only one I have seen in person was a 3 month old pup. He was standoffish for a puppy through. Not currently being in the position to give one a home I never felt it would be nice to both the relatively few breederd of these on the east coast. I thank you for the input. I have a lot to think about. I may just stick with my saints for a while. At least the very size of them scares most evil doers away

Warm baths and daily brushings seem to cut down on shedding.

I have two northern Spitz-type breeds - I have learned to live with lots of fur.

Skorzeny

jmlv. Now don't get me wrong. Neo's can make nice dogs. And there are some exceptional ones out there. But the breed as a whole generally does not make the cut as actual protection trained dog material. But hey it is getting that way with all good working breeds. Once the general public takes interest in a certain breed the quality goes down. Dogs are bred for bucks, not quality. Breeding 2 dogs together because they happen to be the same breed, by people who have no interest in working qualities or capabilities or temperment. "Dog has AKC papers, so Dawg dangit, they must be good lines. I'll sell em in da paper for $200." So when it comes to dogs, (as with most everything)education is the key. Know what you want, what you are looking at and buyer beware. When you want a dog for a certain purpose educate yourself on the purpose, not necessarilly the breed. For protection go to trainers( Many). Not to breeders of the breed your interested in. By observing training and the different breeds you will be able to better determine what breed suits your needs. If you go to a breeder of your desired breed, they will tell you what you want to here. Not necessarilly what is actual.

Attachments

• brad bitesuit1.jpg
    brad bitesuit1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 28
Boris, in addition to thanking you for good professional advice, I would like to thank you for helping me with a couple concepts that I have heard about but never really understood. Mainly the difference between prey drive and defensive drive. In my very limited experience with my own Rottweiler, he didn't have the nerve to bite the sleeve with a man in the bite suit. I really didn't understand why until reading your posts. He looked mean, and could act aggressive, as you say, when on a leash etc. but would not bite the sleeve.
Again, thank you for using your knowlege as a professional in this field to answer the question asked. I did ask for further information, but I see you have some very good links in one of your previous posts.

Last edited:
444, I love talking dogs. And sometimes I have problems communicating exactly what is in my head. But if you want some really interesting reading, check out www.leerburg.com .Mr Frawley has a pretty straight forward approach to the topics and although I don't always agree with his views, I do enjoy his style.

Boris, I saw that link on your previous post and have spent considerable time reading the information on that web site.

Mixed breeds are the best. Fewer mental and health problems. Still, the collie is very loyal. My folks once had a collie/golden retreiver mix that was a great animal. I remember long ago some neighbor kids that had a collie. That dog was fiercely loyal to the kids in that family. I was impressed and respectful.

I can kill any dog, a small double edged dagger , or any short barreled handgun,and a thrust to eyes and throat.dogs bark and may attack BGs, but their more likely to be fed by intruders with
drugs, dogs are useless for home defense, a trip wire that sets off a alarm, don't feed them, or pick up poop, no shots, no liabiality. dogs are a pain!

"dogs are useless for home defense, a trip wire that sets off a alarm, don't feed them, or pick up poop, no shots, no liabiality. dogs are a pain!"

"¡los perros son inútiles para la defensa casera, un alambre del viaje que fije de un alarmar, no los alimentan, o tome el poop, ningunos tiros, ningunos perros de liabiality. son un dolor!"

...nope, still doesn't make sense.

allright a trip wire that opens a cage with 5000 trained rats?
and what ever you said ? back at you!:p

Zot,

First off my dogs will not eat except in their bowls and when fed by myself or my family. They have been trained to do so. Second yes you may kill dog # 1 its a hazard that we dog owners must deal with. unfortunelately for you (not persoanlly mind you but prospective BG) is that while you are doing this dog # 2 and # 3 are tearing you a new one. Since dog #1 is a 125 Saint Bernard with enought fur to stop a short knife and dog # 2 is a protecrtive pitbull{with a pronounced tendency to go for the coujones which I encourage!} (dog # 3 has yet to be replaced currently deciesd - She was a Rotty) you just might have your hands full. Leaving off that, by this time I will have the slug loaded mossberg out and about. Your only option at this point is surrender or die. Your choice. :D

You guys overwhelm me with the unbelievable response to my thread. I really appreciate all of the input.

Please keep it coming.

- Anthony

Collies make good guard dogs, not good protection dogs

Before you take up protection dog training I hope you will accurately assess the hours upon hours you will invest in training, and the loving bond you will develop with your dog(s).

When faced with a deadly situation will you then be willing and able to send your dog to defend you till its' death?

I personally went thru this self examination and decided I wouldn't give up my dog to a gun or knife weilding BG. Consequently, I chose a Collie. Why? Because Collies are great guard dogs: they bark and they bark alot. Mine will bark loud enough and early enough for me to jack a 45 acp into my 1911 and introduce the intruder(s) to REAL deadly force. Nothing else succeeds so sufficiently as the 45 acp.

German Shepherds, Dutch Shepherds and Belgians are all great protection dogs(as a group, not individually). These breeds have all been battle-tested and proven their value over and over. Any other breed you're taking a 50/50 chance on.

A couple of Collies and a bunch of GSD's have allowed me to sleep in comfort and safety for the past 45 years.

Good luck with your choices.

I'm proud to be part of this historic thread.

I've always had German Shepherds and they are great gaurd dogs.

I had a German Shepherd that actually patrolled our house periodically at night – she had a route she traveled that took her to each bedroom where she would look in on the occupants, stoped at the front window, back window. She would stop and listen and sniff at each door and then return to her sleeping spot at night which just happened to be the choke point in the house. Every German Shepherd I’ve owned were natural guard dogs.

She also attacked a man who tried to force his way into our house, went right for his throat, she was completely fearless.

Look at these breeds too:

Bouvier Des Flandres
Boxer
Doberman (fearless family dog...it's what I have)
Rhodesian Ridgeback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back