Dennis Farina Arrested w/Gun in Luggage

Offending posts removed, including all responses to the attacks and subsequent off topic posts. PM's and/or Emails pending.

Just so you know, I don't always lock threads. Never assume this to be true in all cases and start posting with off topic remarks.

ETA: Thanks to those that reported the abuse.

There have been numerous cases where people forgot that a handgun was in a brief case or piece of luggage. Nothing new here, except that some of us recognize the name of the offender. His major problem is that he's in Kalifornia, where handgun registration is the law...a silly law, I might add.

And one I always followed while I lived there. It never stopped me from owning as many guns as I wanted.

The guy is a former cop, he should know better. Enough with the forgetfulness already.

When you live amongst the Hollywood crowd (and it's not just the actors, it's everyone inthe industry) you can recognize their elitist attitude pretty quick.

"California has a handgun registration law?

I honestly didn't know that..."

Oh, yes. That's why there is almost no crime committed with handguns here, and what little there is is quickly solved because the registration information instantly points to the perpetrator. It's just common sense.

Tim

He probably just forgot it was in there. Stupid, but it can happen.
Yes, it does happen. A long time ago when I was in private practice, I had a client who was visiting his family. Father had cancer and was suicidal. Mother asked son to do something with the gun. He put it in his suitcase and forgot it was there when he left a few days later. He got a $100 fine and weapon confiscated but this was in a much more gun friendly state.

De Facto registration

When you buy a gun in CA it is automatically registered.
When you move there you are supposed to register, but you only find out if you know who to ask.
There are no signs at obvious places like DMV's and Post Offices to tell people who moved there, and shouldn't he be protected against felony charges due to FOPA?
If he is traveling with a legal gun, why the felony?
I thought it was for CA residents who carried illegally, is Farina a CA resident?
& as an ex cop, what about hr218?

CA law is it is a misdo if you ccw but you have it "registered" felony if not.
So if you travel to CA with a gun bought elsewhere BE VERY CAREFULL!
i STILL HAVE A GUN THATi BOUGHT IN ca (oops cap lock sorry) so I hope if I get caught it is only a misdo.

gun registration?

What is this 'registration' issue? Are you saying that guns must be registered in CA?! I thought that gun registration by the Government was deemed to be illegal in itself?

In 1992 a friend of mine tried to get on a plane at LAX with his loaded pistol in his backpack. He had indeed forgotten it, or perhaps just thought he could get it thru. They asked him where he was going--to an academic conference--and proceeded to give him back his gun with instructions to take it home before trying to board the plane again. Not everyone in CA is anti-gun.

When we first moved to CA my wife called the local PD asking if we needed to register our guns (1992). They said no, there was no process for doing that....so does anyone know when this changed?

Now I live in a gun-friendly state and have a CCW...something i never expected to be able to possess. Sometimes things get better.

I believe that the Bill of Rights actually enumerates the conduct of citizens under law in a free society.

In other words, we have the right to carry a weapon, and a "license" is a privilege. Many times people believe that obtaining their license means that their municipality recognizes this right. Quite the contrary. Your local government has diminished your enumerated rights into a privilege which can be revoked at their behest.

Farina should have the "right" to carry firearms in his baggage, on his person, in his car, strapped to his underwear or openly displayed.

This discussion should be about rights vs. privileges. Farina is a USA citizen, isn't he? If we chide him for carrying in any fashion we are ipso facto denying him his enumerated rights.

"Are you saying that guns must be registered in CA?!"

*Handguns* must be registered in California. Registration is not required for long guns. (Not exactly true, since we have an AWB here which allowed existing evil rifles to be kept if they were registered. Now that the magic cutoff date has long passed, you are not allowed to register any more AWs, even if they were possessed here legally before the ban.)

Kiov's experience notwithstanding, you *may*, in general, register your long guns if you like.

Tim

Enough with the HR218 references already.

How does the Law Define "Qualified Retired LEO?"

(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified retired law enforcement officer' means an individual who--

`(1) retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability;

`(2) before such retirement, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest;

`(3) (A) before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more; or

`(B) retired from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;

`(4) has a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency;

`(5) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the State's standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms;

`(6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

`(7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

What about Identification for Retired Officers?

(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

`(1) a photographic identification [emphasis added] issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

`(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and

`(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Anyone think a guy with an unregistered gun has taken the time to comply with the requirements under HR218? Most likely applicable section bolded by me.

As a gun owner pretty much the only protection I have against gun grabbers is the fact I do everything legally, where as the career criminal doesn't. Sure Farina could have forgotten the gun was in there, just as he's probably forgotten it the hundreds of times he wasn't caught while illegally carrying, and forgot to register it, and forgot to get a CCW or at least comply with HR218.

I lived and worked amongst (and had as business clients) plenty of "Industry" folks, and lived in Malibu for three years as well. Let me tell you, they think they are priviledged for the most part, and the rules don't apply to them.

If you have heavy case, use it to carry concealed (or don't use it often) and don't carefully check when you head for the airport, it is easier to forget.

IMO anyone who has flown in the last 5 years, unless nuts, cannot be entertaining the idea of getting on the plane with a weapon. You can't get on with empty MAGAZINES, for Pete's sake.

So I think Farina is getting old and blew it. No malicious intent. Whatever the judge does, he will pay a civil fine to FAA of some thousands of dollars.

My point about "what are we doing here" is not to dump on the LEO's and TSA doing their jobs, but asks a more general question of are we really looking in the right places for problems?

I don't think Farina should be treated any worse than anyone else. That is equality before the law...used to be important around here.

HarrySchell said:
unless nuts

You'd better mean "adjudicated nuts" or this debate is going to take a very ugly turn.

Perhaps he was "too short" to read the sign. Perhaps he is Asian, and his slanted eyes did not make it feasible to read the sign. Since he has a Mediterranean heritage he might be genetically disposed to crime.

Am I to understand that you believe people with mental conditions are not adept enough to understand laws?

Tourist,
Thanks very much for the correction.

I hereby abjectly apologize to those who took my characterization of "nuts" to imply someone other than a properly evaluated and adjudicated raving loon.

I should have used the phrase "cognitively challenged" by height, sight, language religious, endicronological (PMS) and/or other "differences" which in other areas excuse whatever behavior used to be thought of as "weird" or "antisocial" but now has been "mainstreamed" and is acceptable.

I deplore the persecution of the "challenged" Mr. Farina.

Sigh. Is this enough...?

HarrySchell said:
Sigh. Is this enough...?

I don't think you're sincere at all. In fact, that kind of thinking is what truly holds us back.

For example, many whine and gripe about politically correct implications, and how "entitlements" damage this country. That is, until government action limits something they love to do, or impugns their positions.

For example, when a college picks candidates by a quota system, people squeak about the "unfair advantage" this group holds. Then the next day their favorite automobile company starts limiting designs due to CAFE standards, or EPA rulings or crash tests. Then they can't get that new pick-up truck they want. Of course, now the government is "draconian."

Supposedly, it's not an "unfair advantage" is the government gives them what they want.

Right now the gun rights of many Americans might hinge on just how we as a society deal with people who seek aid for mental problems. And we don't need some smart aleck in a hobbyist forum, who probably bases everything he knows on Readers Digest articles, to smear a large section of this country as "nuts."

Here's the way this shakes out. I am bipolar, but I don't consider myself 'suffering' from that condition. I have the same IQ that Einstein had. I have better motor skills. Sharper eyesight. I can out-think you at chess or cards. I never studied for college tests, I didn't have to, I had near total recall. And I'm average in my family. My brother's mental acuity goes off of the graph--there isn't a standard to measure him.

So before you insult us as "nuts," consider this. Be greatful this is a republic and not an oligarchy. We'd have you "normals" doing oil changes and cleaning toilets.

Back