Defense ammo for short-barreled 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not?

FMJ is guaranteed to feed in any decent 1911, and the 230gn .45 ball cartridge has been, literally, putting human attackers face-down on the concrete or dirt for decades.

The +P 230gn JHP that's chambered first is there to impart first-round shock value into the upper thoracic. The next 7 rds of ball are for follow-up shots as needed. And at the distances I practice, there's really no significant difference in POI.

With your adrenalin pumping in a fast-moving self-defense situation, you're not going to perceive any difference in felt-recoil as between the +P and standard ball load.

Hmm. Well I guess if that works for you but I have to say that doesn’t work for me. The only time I would ever use full metal jacket’s is while shooting at a paper target. But if you really have something against hollow points, or like I was told in a different forum; if hollow points weren’t available, you’d probably be better off using wadcutters because even though those will punch an exit hole the same size as the entry hole they made coming in, at least the sharp edges when when they hit bone or hard material that they won’t deflect off that, they’ll just cut right through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. * * * or like I was told in a different forum; if hollow points weren’t available, you’d probably be better off using wadcutters because even though those will punch an exit hole the same size as the entry hole they made coming in, at least the sharp edges when when they hit bone or hard material that they won’t deflect off that, they’ll just cut right through it.

LOL! ... Ahhh, no.

Bad advise from internet 'projectile experts.' LOL :rolleyes:

LOL! ... Ahhh, no.

Bad advise from internet 'projectile experts.' LOL :rolleyes:

That was my initial thought but this was advice given from a highly-well regarded forum.

Using nothing but hollow points is what makes sense to me personally but laugh all ya want, wadcutters- now that i know what they are, actually make better sense than just straight up FMJ’s if one isn’t interested in using an expanding bullet.

Using nothing but hollow points is what makes sense to me personally but laugh all ya want, wadcutters- now that i know what they are, actually make better sense than just straight up FMJ’s if one isn’t interested in using an expanding bullet.

'Better sense'? Why?

All you've stated there is a conclusion, not a reason.

Advice given from a highly-well regarded forum ...

LOL! That means what, exactly?

Highly classified 'projectile 'sperts'? :eek:

Keep it coming though, ... I've about busted a gut from laughing at some of the back-n-forth posts in this thread.

Gotta love the good 'ol TFL ... you can't make this shee-it up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why?

I have stated why. Few posts up but see, you don’t agree with it so hence your rebuttal.

LOL! That means what, exactly?

Highly classified 'projectile 'sperts'? :eek:
Actually there’s a lot of well known experts that hang around there. Lots of instructors, lots of law enforcement and people like Ernest Langdon hang out there. I’m not in any way putting down this place as it’s been very resourceful too but it certainly doesn’t deserve the mockery you’re treating it.

Keep it coming though, ... I've about busted a gut from laughing at some of the back-n-forth posts in this thread.
I’m glad you’ve found humor in it. Says a lot about your character. Especially coming from someone who uses smooth-edge target rounds as defense rounds. Which, that’s just it, the people that told me about using wadcutters, aren’t even necessarily recommending that they be used as a self-defense round- which I don’t think you’re fully understanding- they’re saying that if a good quality hollow point either can’t or is refused to be used, that a wadcutter is a much better than just a plain old target round because of the sharp edges that it has.

Gotta love the good ‘ol TFL ... you can’t make this shee-it up. :rolleyes:

Nope, ya really can’t.

Quote:Originally Posted by agtman
Why?
I have stated why. Few posts up but see, you don’t agree with it so hence your rebuttal.

Wadcutters!? LOL! ... As compared to the proven battlefield record of the .45 FMJ round? LOL!

Dude, wadcutters are a gamer's choice for bullseye competitions and similar target work.

If .45 wadcutters had amassed the 'stopping power' record you discreetly attribute to the recommendations of secret-squirrel 'experts' over on the other highly-classified forum you cite, then such wadcutter ammo would've long been standard issue for military and police users of .45acp weapons.

C'mon, let's get serious. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wadcutters!? LOL! ... As compared to the proven battlefield record of the .45 FMJ round? LOL!

Dude, wadcutters are a gamer's choice for bullseye competitions and similar target work.

If .45 wadcutters had amassed the 'stopper power' record you discreetly attribute to the recommendations of secret-squirrel 'experts' over on the other highly-classified forum you cite, then such wadcutter ammo would've long been standard issue for military and police users of .45acp weapons.

C'mon, let's get serious. :rolleyes:

I think your sarcasm and your over-interest in being a wiseass is what’s at work here.

Give this a look if you care to.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tinker...m/2018/03/14/wadcutters-for-self-defense/amp/

And this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tinker...m/2018/03/14/wadcutters-for-self-defense/amp/

But it’s funny how you mention the battlefield as a comparison... sure, FMJ’s were probably better because they were meant for penetration. They didn’t care about other non-targets behind the target they’re shooting at. And machine guns?? Sure, gettin’ hit with multiple machine gun rifle rounds- (in the most sarcastic tone I could possibly muster) why wouldn’t that be deadly?? Hell, if you could kill/injure multiple enemies in line with one sharp-pointed, high- velocity rifle round, I couldn’t imagine using anything else.

An another thing smart-guy, police and military weren’t using snubby 3 inch-barreled 45’s, now were they??

Oh, and it’s not just this other forum I frequent that you’re mocking that says this; look around and you find several more that do.

This thread has been running for a week. Since it has now degenerated into snide remarks that carry no meaningful content, I think it's safe to conclude that there's nothing more that can constructively be added to the discussion. Some people need to understand that what my grandmother used to tell me about "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" is still valid advice for life.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back