Deer (or animal) "HARVEST"

I can't attest to the way people should or shouldn't say they got a good buck.

But here's my shot,,,,,,,,, I kilt this'en at sevem this morn!!;) with my Savage 110 .270 win, 53 grns of H4350, 130 grn Nosler Accubond. The shot hit him high shoulder, complete pass through! Heart had damage to the top and the lungs were smoked, the exit hole was no larger than a nickle.;)

Last edited:
+++++++++++++++1 for Hooligan

and that gentleman is how you tell a deer hunting story!!!!!!!!!!

Political correctness has ruined our country ........

"Harvest" has its place.

Politically correct vs. politically incorrect. It seems if you say "Kill" or "Christmas" there will be a crowd of thin skins ready to jump on you for your insensitivity. Conversely if you say "Harvest" or "Holiday Season" there will be an equally thin skinned crowd ready to declare you a PC liberal. I think both groups are over thinking the issue. Compare the following sentences.

1. Last year's deer harvest of 500,000 set a new record for the state.

2. Last year's 500,000 deer killed set a new record for the state.

The first sentence is implicit that the deer killed were via intentional, legal means (harvest). Perhaps not legal but certainly as a result of intentional human action.

The second sentence is ambiguous. What killed the deer? Cars? Coyotes? Winter Kill? A combination of all factors?

Harvest makes clear with a single word that we are talking about legal hunting methods.

Ok, I'm probably over thinking the issue. If you want to say "Harvest" do so, if you prefer "Killed", fine. I use both depending on context. If you feel the need to correct me or lable me because I said one or the other, well go !@#$ yourself.

Last edited:
Harvest makes clear with a single word that we are talking about legal hunting methods.

LOL, no it doesn't. "Harvest" doesn't indicate one way or the other if the method of taking game is legal when referring to what a hunter has done.

As with "kill" or "take" or any other such words, "harvest" has not value relative to legality.

For example... http://www.kait8.com/story/16011790/hunters-hoping-for-positive-deer-population-ahead-of-season

"With all these activities, basically these guys are stealing opportunities from legal hunters," said Langston. "As you can see sitting here in front of me, these are just an example of some of the deer killed in this county that have been illegally harvested."

The word "harvested" could be substituted with the words of "killed" or "taken" or "hunted" without changing the context one iota.

LOL, no it doesn't. "Harvest" doesn't indicate one way or the other if the method of taking game is legal when referring to what a hunter has done.

As with "kill" or "take" or any other such words, "harvest" has not value relative to legality

OK, I concede your point.
My broader point is, "harvest" is just a word available through the English lexicon.

So don't set your hair on fire if someone uses "Harvest" instead of kill or visa versa.

Not so fast and call it what it is.

The first sentence is implicit that the deer killed were via intentional, legal means (harvest)
When documented or published, it usually comes from the DNR or state conservation group. Regardless of what term is used, it is always refering to "legally taken means". I also know they track road kills and estimate what is taken by illegal means but that is a separate catagory. .... ;)

Now if PITA was publishing this information they would call it something completely different. ... ;)

Doesn't matter what term anyone uses but I view those who use Harvesting as apologizing for what is really happening and that is killing deer. ;)

Be Safe !!!

When I googled "harvest" and "deer" and "harvest" with other animals, I was quite surprised to find that many states issues hunting licenses for harvesting deer and other game...which only seems to muddy the already muddy waters of distinction between the terms.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...art=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0&tx=74&ty=60

So hunting, trapping, and catching are what you do to procure game, but any game taken is considered harvest?

Last edited:
When you hunt a deer and kill it, you have harvested the animal.

I don't know about other places but farmers around here don't say they're "harvesting corn". They say they're picking it or cutting it or combining it.... After its done, they say they "harvested" the corn. Same with other crops.

Same with deer. They're just another crop. You hunt them, you kill them, you harvest them.

Corn, deer, whatever.

If you choose to be an ambassador

for our sport the word you use is dependent on your audience. Take, kill, get, catch whatever but harvest does make it sound too easy like you could just walk into the woods and they're standing around waiting for you to shoot em. And that plays into the anti's who say, there's no sport in hunting anyone can do that.

And that plays into the anti's who say, there's no sport in hunting anyone can do that

Apparently ODNR(Ohio Dept. of Nat. Resources) doesn't care what the anti's think since both the words kill and harvest are in our Regs. handbook.

The word 'harvest', when referring game that has been taken, is throughout ' The Ohio Hunting and Trapping Regulation' handbook.

I.E. Deer Checking:
1.Only the person who kills the deer can present it to the check station. All deer must be checked in the county of harvest or adjacent county.

2. Deer must be checked by 8:00p.m. on the day of harvest....

...just a few examples. Have also glimpsed at a few other states Regs handbook and found the grammar to be in the same manor.

Who would have thunk that there would have been this much thought into this topic. :confused:

Here's a few hunting terms for you

Deer = harvest or wildlife management
Pig= removed from ecosystems
Coyote = silence a voice
Raccoon = sweet justice
Exotic = wildlife diversification

hate that term. I never use it. It would make me feel like I'm kissing some tree hugger's a**. No more X-mas in stores. Now it's the "holidays". This politically correct crap stuff is starting to get so rediculous. "We're going to harvest a deer!" Wheeeee.

I don't use it either, but don't make much of a big deal out of it.

I "pick" vegetables in the garden, and shoot, or kill animals when I hunt.

Seems so simple.

And to me, it's Christmas, not x-mas.

Daryl

The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".

The X isn't taking "Christ" out of Christmas! It means the same thing! I personally would prefer leaving it as Christmas, but Xmas is a whole lot better than "Happy Holidays!" :mad: That really just ticks me off!!
Haha Sorry Thought I would help clear things up:D

In reference to deer (and other edible game)...Where I come from we still kill it, cook it, and eat it.

And its still Christmas here too...

Redneck hillbilly and proud of it...:D

Back