Crowded areas

ShootistPRS said:
Working through different scenarios in your mind, like active day dreaming can go a long way to influence your learned behavior. Being able to see the threat, before it is deadly and knowing how to avoid what might be coming next or what you will do if things go south and you need to act to save your life can help diminish the adrenalin rush and acting is always better than reacting.

That is a good point. People will spend tons of money and effort shaving off tenths of a second on their draw time, when working on situational awareness could add multiple seconds to their OODA loop. Although admittedly, working on draw time is much more fun.

I agree. I think one of the most useful things a person can do is to analyze the places they go frequently - home, work, church, favorite restaurants, and so on - with the idea of planning defense. (If a bad guy comes in that door, I have this and that for cover; if they are at the cash register, those and them. My lines of fire are going to be thus and such, and I will need to watch for people entering my line from these directions.) While it is true that nothing like that ever goes according to a script, that does not mean that giving advance thought to such things will not be helpful. Personally, I tend to think in a highly analytical way, which could mean that I would react more slowly if I hadn't thought about things in advance.

I think one of the most useful things a person can do is to analyze the places they go frequently - home, work, church, favorite restaurants, and so on - with the idea of planning defense. (If a bad guy comes in that door, I have this and that for cover; if they are at the cash register, those and them. My lines of fire are going to be thus and such, and I will need to watch for people entering my line from these directions.) While it is true that nothing like that ever goes according to a script, that does not mean that giving advance thought to such things will not be helpful. Personally, I tend to think in a highly analytical way, which could mean that I would react more slowly if I hadn't thought about things in advance.
I believe that there is a lot to be said for that line of thinking.

Along those lines know where the exits are, Try to sit with a good view of the main entrance.
I personally prefer to have my back to a wall if I can as well.

If you're with a group and have to sit in a booth try to get a outside seat.
Remember the difference between cover and concealment.. large serving tables "might" provide cover, your table will only provide concealment.

9mm handgun will go right thru both car door on any off-the-line production vehicle.
Only reasonably safe spot is by the engine.

They most certainly will go thru inch pressed wood like it ain't there.
Most partitions in restaurants and interior walls are usually just hollow drywall/2x4's. much like you'd find at home.

Back