Creating a new cartridge for fans of the 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, it wouldn't interest me a bit. I've got plenty just to keep up with 9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357, and 22 LR.

I was mildy interested in the 45 Gap for a few weeks, but never even saw one.

Good luck with your project though.

That would be a Glock sub-compact and the 45 GAP is a shorter 45 ACP.

The masses seems to favour double stacked 9mm sub-compact handguns these days while the 45 GAP would be single stacked.

Free advice to anyone interested in introducing a new gun, a new caliber or a new pen: First polish your people skills. Then think about the thing you want to sell.

I'm still waiting for any reasoned explanation for why anyone might want the .475 Punisher.

You say that the buyers need to be told what they need.

Tell us why we need the .475 Punisher?

Moon Falcon said:
It was all dumb suggestions... I am not restricted to any current 1911 dimensions of any shape or form but it will look and it will function as a 1911.
Here's some market research for you:

If it isn't the same size and shape as a 1911, it won't be a 1911 -- no matter what you choose to call it. Take Sig Arms as an example. When Sig started making 1911s, they changed the exterior style of the slide -- and they didn't sell well at all. Sig finally added some models with "classic" 1911 slides to their line, and they now sell both. The only place I have ever seen any of the Sig 1911s with their proprietary slide design is at the Sig Academy in New Hampshire.

Moon Falcon said:
If Dan Coonan could create a 1911 to fire the 357 Magnum with it's rimmed cartridge then it would be even easier for me to get a 1911 to fire a short .475'' rimless round.
Few 1911 aficionados consider the Coonan to be a 1911. We recognize the similarities, but we know that it's not a 1911.

If this market that you know exists doesn't care about 1911-ness in your new pistol, that's fine. But you opened this discussion by stating that you wanted to develop a new cartridge for the 1911. Now it turns out that you want to develop a new cartridge for a new pistol. That's a significant undertaking, and I really don't see any market for it.

I'm still waiting for any reasoned explanation for why anyone might want the .475 Punisher.

You say that the buyers need to be told what they need.

Tell us why we need the .475 Punisher?

You need the .475 Punisher because it has more stopping power than the .45 ACP without the heavy recoil of the 10mm Auto.

Here's some market research for you:

If it isn't the same size and shape as a 1911, it won't be a 1911 -- no matter what you choose to call it. Take Sig Arms as an example. When Sig started making 1911s, they changed the exterior style of the slide -- and they didn't sell well at all. Sig finally added some models with "classic" 1911 slides to their line, and they now sell both. The only place I have ever seen any of the Sig 1911s with their proprietary slide design is at the Sig Academy in New Hampshire.

Few 1911 aficionados consider the Coonan to be a 1911. We recognize the similarities, but we know that it's not a 1911.

If this market that you know exists doesn't care about 1911-ness in your new pistol, that's fine. But you opened this discussion by stating that you wanted to develop a new cartridge for the 1911. Now it turns out that you want to develop a new cartridge for a new pistol. That's a significant undertaking, and I really don't see any market for it.

It will be a 1911A7.

COAL = 1.425''

That is longer than any current auto pistol cartridge except the .45 Win Mag and Auto Mag series. Meaning it will have to be chambered in an all new gun from the ground up.

You could use a LAR Grizzly as an ammunition development testbed but it is bigger than even the .475 MF would require.

You need the .475 Punisher because it has more stopping power than the .45 ACP without the heavy recoil of the 10mm Auto.
Where is the evidence to support your assertion that "it has more stopping power than the .45 ACP without the heavy recoil of the 10mm Auto"?

Why do I need something with more stopping power than a 45acp?

Where is the evidence to support your assertion that "it has more stopping power than the .45 ACP without the heavy recoil of the 10mm Auto"?

Why do I need something with more stopping power than a 45acp?

The evidence is the less amount of gunpowder.

Everyone needs more stopping power than what a .45 ACP can deliver because people that are junked up with the right type of illegal drug will not feel any pain from your gun shots.

That is longer than any current auto pistol cartridge except the .45 Win Mag and Auto Mag series. Meaning it will have to be chambered in an all new gun from the ground up.

You could use a LAR Grizzly as an ammunition development testbed but it is bigger than even the .475 MF would require.

COAL = 1.425''.

The evidence is the less amount of gunpowder.

That only applies if the two rounds are shooting the same bullet weight at the same velocity, and using the same gunpowder.

And if your new cartridge is a bigger bore than what you're comparing it to, it will require a little more gunpowder than the smaller bore for the same speed, if using the same gunpowder.

Aw, come on, these little fantasies can be fun.
We can't all actually tool up and build a .357 RoF or a .224 Zipperer.

The 357 RoF is no big deal. All you need is a 9mm barrel, a reamer to cut it for a longer cartridge (basically it's a long 9mm Luger), and some trimmed 9mm Win Mag brass.

That only applies if the two rounds are shooting the same bullet weight at the same velocity, and using the same gunpowder.

And if your new cartridge is a bigger bore than what you're comparing it to, it will require a little more gunpowder than the smaller bore for the same speed, if using the same gunpowder.

It's less gunpowder than what the 10mm Auto uses.

Again, you are simply making unsupported assertions without any evidence or reasoned argument.

You utterly failed to convince anyone so once again, where is the evidence or reasoned argument that will convince me or anyone else to buy the .475 Punisher?

And what is a "SJW" and did you stay awake in any of your grammar classes? Have you had grammar classes yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back