coyote stalking my dogs?

lots

Lots of folks are loosing pets/dogs to coyotes in my area. Luring out to the pack is one of their tricks.

Lots of stuff on Youtube of coyotes fooling with pets.

A friend of mine just took this picture in a campground outside Prince George BC.........

582455_3968214601949_1177971473_4065871_1993766227_n.jpg

Lived in a rural suburb of Denver when my kids were smaller. (9-14y.o.) The coyotes were VERY thick in the area and equally aggressive. It got to the point where nightly we would hear the yipping that they used to communicate while they were running down prey, then silence when they caught it. The kids started coming home in the evening saying as the sun started to go down the coyotes would start to follow them. The thing that prompted some changes was when they came in, and ran in the door terrified saying a pack had followed them making those sounds. They were on their bikes at the time and able to get safely home, barely. I called the local LE and asked if they had heard anything along those lines. Turns out new building in the area had concentrated them near our house and they were killing pets and scaring joggers pretty much daily. Too close to town to shoot, too many to handle that way anyway. Bought the kids bear pepper spray, best I could do. Part of the reason we moved not too long after.

Since my last post a coyote marked my pickup sitting the driveway by defecating on the top of the cab. Put two leg hold traps in the truck bed along with some bad venison and caught a large male coyote the next night. One of the neighbors saw me kill that coyote with a crossbow and thought it was awful.

That coyote could have easily killed one of the small neighborhood kids.

Thallub, feel free to share my experience with your neighbors. They probably don't understand what the stakes are, city folks maybe? My kids experience scared me worse than I like to admit. Whenever they started that yipping sound in the evening and the kids weren't home it almost made me sick. It also made me sad that my kids were growing up in a different time than I did. All of us when we were kids were crack shots with our souped up wrist rockets. We used steel 00 buck for ammo,a perfectly capable set up for small game. I don't know how many of them we would have killed but they would have learned to leave us alone quickly. When I mentioned this to the LE officer I had on the phone he got angry and threatened to arrest any of the kids he found with them. Somewhere along the line we've lost something. I'm not sure how to describe it but I know It's gone.

Last edited:
When I mentioned this to the LE officer I had on the phone he got angry and threatened to arrest any of the kids he found with them. Somewhere along the line we've lost something. I'm not sure how to describe it but I know It's gone.

Yes, it is gone and thats very sad. Growing up in WV every boy i knew had a slingshot. Where i live kids aged about 3-6 run all over the place unsupervised. All thats needed for a disaster is a bold hungry coyote.

Once in awhile theres a turn toward sanity but not often. For many years the OK game commission zealously protected cougars under threat of arrest. Folks grew fed up with cougars attacking livestock and contacted their legislators. The legislature passed a law that allows the killing of cougars that threaten humans or livestock.

seems if you want to just keep them away you might wanna go to the local zoo and get some large cat urine place it around your perimeter: unless you just like shooting them, then I'm no hunter...dont hunters eat what they shoot?

...dont hunters eat what they shoot?
Not all hunting is the same.

When hunting to harvest game, it is illegal and is considered unethical to shoot a game animal or bird without making use of it as a food resource.

When hunting to control pests--an activity which is legal and necessary to control certain types of pest populations--there is no legal or ethical mandate to make use of the killed pest animals as a food resource. In some cases it would be foolish to even try.

Though the backyard is fenced, I bring the dogs in a night due to predators like coyotes. One evening one was outside the fence. It did not hang long after I got home. It is one critter that just needs killing.

I know a lady who raises goats and coyotes go after them. She also has lamas. Those lamas will chase the coyotes down and kill them. I found it interesting lamas were like that.

Since I started this post I have lost 9 meat chickens to coyotes. The neighbor kid down the road stays up to all hours of the night and has witnessed a large coyote on the property several times. I have since given him the green light to shoot. I hope I get waken up to the sound of a gun shot very soon. As for the coyote that stalked my dogs, I think my presence hunting them has been enough to keep them farther from the house lately. Unless they are just getting full on baby rabbtis and turkeys!

Re scotty and the lamas. People in my country (sweden) has just recently vegan buying lamas ro protect their livestock against the wolf which is making a comeback strong. Ive been told donkeys work to!

sorry for my spelning my smarthphone isnt english

Ive been told donkeys work to!

You were told correctly but the sheep farmers I know say llamas are much more aggressive with the yotes.

I had a rather scary experience last year at one of the sheep farms I hunt.

The farmers son wanted me to save a yote I shot as he was wanting to try his hand at a bit of taxidermy. Right at daybreak, I shoot a big male and am on my way out of the field, carrying the yote.
The farmers llama must have winded the yote and came running across the field at me. Yours truely dropped the yote and took off running for the fence. As I cleared the fence, I looked back to see the llama tap dancing on the yote. He literally stomped the yote till it was un-recognizable.
I have heard llamas can be aggressive but had never witnessed firsthand just how bad they could get until then. I'm sure the yote scent was on me and am glad Mr. Llama stopped at the yote and didn't pursue me cause I don't think I would have made it to the fence.

Lesson learned: farmers boy will have to get his own yote. :o

...dont hunters eat what they shoot? I've still got a lot of pals down in southern Colorado who bag these critters nightly. I can get you as much free range Coyote meat as you'd like scott.:D Seriously you're right about the motives but looking at it the wrong way. Coyotes are normally killed to prevent loss of livestock, meat in other words.

tchunter

You finally figured it out. When you hunt something (You have to be able to hit it) the something will soon get respect for guns. In Pa. we have huge coyote killing contests every year. I don't know what the misconceptions are about on this thread, but you can absolutely believe that no healthy coyote will stick his nose out around an area where they are heavily hunted and trapped. You have more to worry about from uncontrolled dogs and cats getting at livestock around here.

I understand about controlling them by hunting them. When I started this thread my gut feeling was that that particular coyote wasn't quite right. Some of the info here has given me more to think about why it would have done that. As for hunting them enough to make a difference I have one major problem, 35,000 acres of corn and 100 hours a week. Winter is the only time I can spend a little time at it. I appreciate all the info posted here, its been a good conversation.

My grandfather would pee in an old coke bottle then go out and spread it along the fence to keep the coyotes out. Never once saw a coyote in the yard though we would see them sometimes peeing on the fence.

Side note:
Where I work is a 400 acre campus in the middle of the St. Louis suburbs. The area is considered a nature preserve. We have deer, turkeys, owls, redtail hawks, and coyotes.

The coyotes would sometimes go after family pets when the rabbit population went down.

The coyotes normally are very shy and we only see them from dusk to dawn. There was a particular one that was kicked out of the family group and spent days being un-coyote before he disappeared. During they day he'd lay down in the middle of the parking lots, or along the side walk. We'd have to have coyote watches set up. People started to try and feed it.

It was a bit strange watching an animal behave so out of character we considered having someone come in and put it down.

Back