coyote stalking my dogs?

some coyotes have been known to hybridize with domestic dogs. australian shepherds are a major breed that they tend to go for if I remember correctly. however I've heard more stories of coyotes running dogs to death than I have of making coydog pups. I guess it depends on the dogs...I am surprised that the coyote came as close to you as it did, usually ours are gone if you come within 200 yards.

Most times they are gone if they spot you. But on a few occasions I've spotted them watching. One time is was cutting twine off of a hay bale and turned around a one was sitting behind me just sitting and looking. No rifle, of course. While their behavior is predictable, in many cases, its not.

Their ability to adapt, go after different prey, eat berries, or down some cow patties to get through a tough spell has made them flourish.

Ps. Mr T01. Don't mention coydogs, they don't exists, government agents will be at your door soon.......:D

Yeah, coy-dogs can be a touchy subject! Rickyrick you are right on with the sounds. They are always looking to fill their bellies & with the pups geting ready to hit the ground the pup distress will also provoke a response! You may also try some lone howls but make sure to keep them on the higher pitched side. You want the resident coyotes to think they can whoop the intruder not run from it! Also, if they are using the same trails on a regular basis, you can set up an ambush. Sort of like a deer hunt but for coyotes! Just bark at one when you get it in the sights! They will usually turn broadside for the perfect shot! Make sure to take pics to share with the forum!

Never lost a dog to coyote nor have coyote stalked my dogs but they're big dogs... not something a coyote would consider food.

My wife has however lost a 5 month old shih tzu puppy to a red tailed hawk...:eek:

The ambush method works well with coyotes and pigs. Coyote tracks are pretty distinct in dust. They hold their shape better than hoof tracks. If fresh they can easily be distinguished from dogs.

The best way that I can describe the difference is that dog tracks have a happier rounder shape and coyote is a little longer than wide and appears more menacing. Dogs and coyotes show nails in their tracks, cats do not.

Also the middle two toes on a coyote are close together with the claws almost touching and turned toward each other. Because they are so close the coyote track will have an odd shaped "X" formed between the toes and the pad. A dog will usually have three distinct lines on the toe end and the two middle toes will almost point away from each other. Of course there are exceptions! And to help destinguish between cat and canine on a packed or sandy soil that might not show claws clearly, a cat has three distinct lobes on its rear pad where a canine's pad is just rounded on the back side. I hope this all helps. Find a good trail and pop some coyotes!

Also the middle two toes on a coyote are close together with the claws almost touching and turned toward each other.

Actually, quite a few dogs exhibit that very same characteristic.

A dog will
usually have three distinct lines on the toe
end and the two middle toes will almost
point away from each other. Of course
there are exceptions!
Make sure to quote the part where I threw in the "usually" and the "of course there are exceptions"! :) In general, a "large" or coyote size dog will tend to have the spread middle toes. But yes, some domestic dogs do exhibit that feature. The smaller domestics (terriers and such that tend to have the "coyote" print) don't usually make to many tracks in the same area as coyotes before they become prey .

We haven't had a problem with coyotes stalking our dogs, since the dogs are only outdoors on their own in daylight, in an enclosure, if at all. Normally they are with me and/or the wife, whether indoors or out.

However, we have coyotes in the area, and the things are huge. We recently moved from Georgia, where coyotes were maybe 35-50lbs, to NW Missouri... I mistook a coyote for a fawn, at first the other day, as it jumped out of a ditch near the road, as it was that tall - but it became immediately clear it was a coyote.

Two days ago, I saw a lone coyote in my west pasture, and I'd estimate its size as German Shepherd. Two of us saw it (a gentleman who was delivering our horses was with me), and it was definitely a coyote - although at first I thought it might have been a neighbor's dog.

I've never seen coyotes this size; they look like small wolves.

Finally convinced my wife to carry a 442 when she tends the horses at night, though - she saw one of the beasts the other day.

I'm not too worried that they will do anything, but on the other hand, if they do, these things are big enough that ONE would pose a threat, let alone a pack.

MLeake, welcome to Missouri.
I've killed a lot of coyotes here in Missouri, most were in the 35 to 50 pound range like what you had in Georgia.
However I've killed a few in the 70 pound range.

Ive seen packs of coyotes with as many as 9 in a pack. I just got a call from a fellow the other day that said he had 10 in a pack that was in with his cattle.

Two days ago I was out on a horse and seen three in a pack, can't shoot them right now because season is closed during spring turkey season.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Even if your dog is bigger than the coyote, the coyote will lure it away where the pack can take down the bigger dog.

I have personally witnessed this exact thing. We live in the country and routinely have coyotes cross behind the house in the pasture there. We had a Border Collie who thought it his job to "watch over" the back yard and pasture.

One morning I looked the window to see a group of three Coyotes just entering the pasture. The dog noticed them right away and started walking out toward them (still 200 yds. separating them). I knew the B/C wouldn't go all the way out there...but went to get my rifle just in case.

I did not call out to our dog...because I wanted to see what the Yodel Dogs would do (continue coming or flee). As soon as the lead Coyote spotted our dog (now sitting down about 50 yds. from the house) he immediately broke into a trot that brought him within 30-40 yds. of our dog. The Coyote then turned and made a big half circle back and forth.

The other two Coyotes hung back a ways and split off, one to the left the other to the right. Both just stood there watching the first one taunt the dog.

Finally, the B/C could take no more and loped out after the Coyote...which promptly ran over to a big brush pile I had pushed up in the pasture. It ran to the top of the pile and would come down about half way then go back up, while the B/C chased it. Only when the B/C got too close would it "snap" and "snarl".

In the meantime...the other two Coyotes moved in and flanked my dog. I could see this wasn't a "game" anymore and I moved out onto the back porch with the rifle. I called to our B/C but he pretty much ignored me (unusual for him). I thought about calling him off one more time but was afraid that if I diverted his attention away from the Coyote, it would attack him.

By now the other two were getting really close, their intention was clear.

I quickly sent a shot just over the top of the coyote on the brush pile (didn't want my dog to jump on it if I shot the coyote) and that worked, all the coyotes cleared out at break neck speed and the Border Collie didn't care for it either...as he came running back to the house all slinking and with his tail tucked half between his legs.

I have NO DOUBT those coyotes were trying to lure my dog out there (which they did) and purposed to "stretch him out" (all three attack him).

Not for food, they have plenty of that around here...but as matter of territory.

Even if your dog is bigger than the coyote, the coyote will lure it away where the pack can take down the bigger dog
I have seen many videos and comments about this on youtube. i have a coyote problem at my house in Mt Holly, NC. I have a Great Dane and a Lab but I am worried they might split them up or lure one of them off when the other isnt out there. I have seen yotes in PA when deer hunting but its purely accidental. How do I get rid of them. Hear them all the time but I cant ever get a shot at them. Can I set a snare or other trap without getting by-catch? A proved lure so I can get a shot at them?

Hey BoogieMan! You can catch coyotes in both snares and foot hold traps. But if it will catch a coyote, it will catch a dog! You have to figure out if you can take that risk. The best way to get rid of them, in my opinion, is to hunt them. Like all wild animals, they are creatures of habit. They will use the same trail over and over. A good scout outing may reveal the access point to your property. A barbed wire fence is great a snagging guard or tail hairs! ;) If you can find this trail, & you will know it if you find it, find a place to set up an ambush. Get the distance the you like to shoot away from the trail where you can see well but can't be seen. Mind the wind! Here in NE Texas we USUALLY have a south wind. Find a spot that will not blow your scent cone on the trail with your typical wind direction & check the wind before setting up. While scouting you may also carry some red fox urine to spray to stir up some activity. Coyotes HATE red fox! Once you find "your" spot, find the place you would like the coyote to be when you shoot. Place a sample of your smallest dog's scat there & the coyote WILL stop to investigate. If not, a high pitched bark will do the trick. Good luck!

^^ What he said. That and get a good howler and learn how to use it. Don't bother with the electric ones just get a mouth piece and learn to make it work. Go camp out in a tree stand in camo and give a good howl or better yet "ring the dinner bell" and give'em a wounded rabbit howl.

They'll come running and you just have to be prepared to shoot.

Yep, you can aalso call them in. But that will add in some other factors. If you use a distress call they will almost always circle downwind of the sound(you). So you must set up accordingly. If you use coyote vocals, learn the language before you just sound off. Certain howl/barks mean full alert/warning. A deep pitched howl represents an old large intruder which will provoke a flight instead of a fight! The wrong vocal can end your hunt before it begins! ;) I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it takes a bit more planing. If calls is your choice start watching videos and learning the sounds. Maybe get on a predator hunting forum to get more first hand knowledge & experience. The Texas Predator Posse(not just for Texans) & Bucking the Odds are both great forums with great folks who like to share their knowhow! Some of their members are members here as well. Bucking the Odds also has a bunch of hunt videos to watch for free for members. Membership is free on both. If you stop by say hi, I am "JJ" there as wel! Whatever happens, keep us updated & take pics! ;) Good Luck!

Ill have to take a scouting walk and look more closly for where they are moving. Im from NJ so when in the NC woods im always looking for copper heads not game. Not used to watching out for anything that can bight back.

I have skipped through this thread and am amazed by the comments. I live near Bucks County, Pa. and we have had coyotes here for more than 20 years. They (coyotes) moved in from somewhere else. The area is farms, woods, cities, towns, swamps. We have it all. Coyotes are rarely sighted. When coyotes are shot they are usually in the 50# to 70# range. They simply can not out breed the hunters around here. I have noticed over the years that Pennsylvania boys (on an average)can really shoot. I have been out west and those coyotes look like pups compared to the eastern coyotes. When you drive around here you see nothing but dogs walking around with no owner about. You guys must be doing something wrong.

I have never been around bucks county yotes, we have them in SJ also. Thing is in SJ they are not coming into my yard. In NC they are, one ran between my wife and 6 y/o daughter who were within 30' of each other. Thats when we bought the great dane. Since I none of us have seen one in the yard but we hear them close all night and the dane wants to go after them.
Even us Jersey guys can shoot what we can see.

Western coyotes are little because the are hungry. Hungry coyotes will cause the most trouble. They will eat anything to survive, even cow poop. I have actually kept coyotes in check by providing them with a supply of dead pigs.

It's pretty easy to over hunt them. They get keen real quick. As an experiment, I put out some spoiled chicken in front of the game camera and the came back to the same spot for three weeks. So, the next time the calls wear out, I will try chicken and ambush. As stated before, if you find a trail you can easily ambush them if conditions are right.

The snares will catch anything that walks so use caution.

Coyote Hating Dog

A farmer I once knew had a mixed breed mutt that was pretty good sized husky looking dog. Its name was Bear because when he was young from a distance he looked like a small black bear. He said when Bear was young the local coyotes lured Bear, with an in heat female, out into a pasture. Well the dog managed to get back to the house though he was chewed up some. The dog got well and grew to be a large dog. The farmer said that when ever he heard the coyotes singing out by his house, if he goes out the next day and does some searching in the fields by his house, he would find a find a dead female coyote that the Bear had killed. That dog hated coyotes with a passion.

Here in WI we aren't allowed to hunt coyote over bait despite the fact that they are considered a varmint and its open season on them year round and are one of only two critters you can hunt at night. Heck land owners don't even have to have a hunting license to hunt them if they're on the owner's private land. However for some stupid reason we are not allowed to bait them in.

Back