coyote stalking my dogs?

Those are some great pics! One of my dogs is a wiemraner about 90lbs., the other an australian shepard about 65lbs. I've trained both to track blood, so they spend a lot of time in the woods. The only problem is they have a bad habit of chasing coyotes. With the number of yotes around this area I didn't want them to go meet the pack. Well anyway maybe this will send a message, not the biggest but he paid the price!

In my opinion, the coyote will come in after your dogs for either territorial, breeding or feeding issues. Right now, depending on location, the female should be bred and getting ready to drop a litter so I would say either the coyote perceived your dogs as a threat or a meal. I wouldn't assume that there was something "wrong" with the coyote (mange or rabies) just from its presence. The coyote will patrol its territory on a regular basis to keep every inch of it from a neighboring family unit. Depending on your dogs, my guess would be it was looking for a meal. I have four different places I hunt that lost family pets to coyotes. In fact while reading this thread, I just got a call from another land owner who had three coyotes hassling his full grown yellow lab Amos this morning! What a coincidence! This guy has a small property but the neighboring properties make his location a prime coyote spot. I have called and killed four coyotes on this place in the last year. Coyotes are cunning creatures! Never underestimate them! Good luck with your problem!

JJ,

What calls are you finding effective this time of year? I'm gonna try to hunt them throughout the summer this year, I assume the regular dinner bell calls would work with maybe some pup distress.

I never seriously hunted them in the summer, just the occasional got lucky and had seen them before they saw me.

On a side note, I am always amazed at how many I see just sitting and watching me when I have no rifle. I think they can smell gun oil, LOL.

One hunting method is to use a dog that's been trained to lure a coyote back to shooting range.

There is a new protection detail for just such matters....
just call.....wait for it......

K911

sniperdog.jpg

sniperdog2.jpg

One hunting method is to use a dog that's been trained to lure a coyote back to shooting range.

Yes, it works very well. Coyotes do not like dogs in their area. Numerous bird dogs are killed in this part of OK every year by coyotes.

A friend is a dedicated coyote hunter. She has two mutts trained to play in the pasture and attract coyotes. When the dogs get chased they bring the coyote in to get killed. The same lady has two pairs of Russian wolfhounds: They make short work of coyotes.

Urban Coyotes

I live in the SW edge of Oklahoma City metro. West of me is a lot of undeveloped property. One evening when we had guests visiting from the East Coast area I took them out to my front lawn and told them to listen. You could hear the coyotes singing and yelping not more that 200 yards from my front porch. Freaked out my guests that WILD DANGEROUS ANIMALS were ALLOWED to run loose in the city limits. All I could do is chuckle quietly.
Last month about 2 miles into the more settled area of the metro I has a coyote cross the street in front of me at about noon.
By the way American Indians believe the coyote is a trickster who stole fire and gave it to man, but can't keep from being a pain in the butt to everyone he meets.

OK, here's a tip that works. (I know, I've done it.) Drink lots of liquids, then go out and pee all along your fence or property line. This is how canines define territory.

The coyote, wolf, whatever, will come up, smell your "mark" and then proceed to "mark" the same spot. This delineates the boundary of your and the animal's territory, and generally, it is respected. You do need to go out and refresh occasionally, though.

Laugh if you like, but it works.

^^^Ummm...
...I wouldn't try this if you live in a populated area.

Not doubting your word just don't think the Judge will buy the story. :eek::D

We heard one howling last night and then a while later we actually heard it take some small animal. The wife did not like hearing the struggle or when I said "that's the circle of life honey". It sounded like a small dog but I had to reassure my wife that it was probably some other small animal and not someones pet.
People seem so surprised to hear these things but the more condos they build the less space the wildlife has.

^^^Ummm...
...I wouldn't try this if you live in a populated area.

You've got a point there, as I do live now in a semi remote area. However, I first learned of the trick when I lived in Miami, FL.

My next door neighbor had a very viscious pit bull that he usually left to guard his business. On occasion he would bring it home and let it loose in his back yard.

At the time I had small children, and the dog seemed to have a proclivity to attempt to climb the fence to get at them, and me as well.

I first learned of this little "trick" from a documentary about a guy who lived in the Northwest Territories and was studying wolves. Apparently, he was in a lonely shack in wolf country, and the wolves (being naturally curious, and probably hungry) were closing in on his cabin. He related how he drank lots of tea, then went out and "marked" various rocks around his cabin, at which point, the wolves would come and "mark" the other side of the rock to delineate their "territory" and left him alone after that.

I figured I had nothing to lose with my neighbor's pit bull (I had already warned him that, because I had small children, I would not hesitate to kill the dog if it got in my yard), so, very late one night, after consuming copious amounts of Diet Coke, I went out and "marked" the fence.

Naturally, the pit came charging up to the fence, but, much to my surprise, stopped, sniffed the fence, proceeded to "mark" his side and never bothered me again.

So, you have a point about populated areas, but just go out very late at night and take care of it. Trust me: It works.

We haven't had a problem with coyotes stalking our dogs, since the dogs are only outdoors on their own in daylight, in an enclosure, if at all. Normally they are with me and/or the wife, whether indoors or out.

However, we have coyotes in the area, and the things are huge. We recently moved from Georgia, where coyotes were maybe 35-50lbs, to NW Missouri... I mistook a coyote for a fawn, at first the other day, as it jumped out of a ditch near the road, as it was that tall - but it became immediately clear it was a coyote.

Two days ago, I saw a lone coyote in my west pasture, and I'd estimate its size as German Shepherd. Two of us saw it (a gentleman who was delivering our horses was with me), and it was definitely a coyote - although at first I thought it might have been a neighbor's dog.

I've never seen coyotes this size; they look like small wolves.

Finally convinced my wife to carry a 442 when she tends the horses at night, though - she saw one of the beasts the other day.

I'm not too worried that they will do anything, but on the other hand, if they do, these things are big enough that ONE would pose a threat, let alone a pack.

Farley Mowat's "Never Cry Wolf". Interesting read.

Yes, exactly. It was a TV documentary about Farley Mowat and his study of wolves in northwestern Canada. I didn't mention him as Farley Mowat is not exactly a household name. When I was a small kid, I really enjoyed his book The Dog Who Wouldn't Be.

At any rate, I found his method to be extremely useful and it does work.

Back