Coyote Hunting

In my experience, coyotes will abandone a den not long after the pups are born and can venture out.
After they breed they will start to get they old den, if still available, ready for this years pups. But the majority of the year they will not utilize the den & just bed down for naps.
Now they will tend to have a bedding area they like, but I have come accross bedded coyotes in some tall grass in the middle of pastures at 10am.

I think that even if they are bedded or in a den, if they hear the call they are very likely to respond. They have a hard time turning down a meal.
I had one regurgitate an almost complete rabbit when I shot it and it was coming to get more!

But, another thing I have learned is that when dealing with coyotes there is no ALWAYS! They do what they do when they want to do it!

Everybody has given you some great advice, take it all in and use it to help get going in the right direction. See what works for you in your area and make it happen!
Good luck!

Last edited:
Leon County is where Im at. (Hardwood) 99% Pin Oak, Red Oak and Post Oak. Hilly terrain some flats half wood half pasture. Deer, Feral hogs and plenty Coyotes. May go this evening.

if that is going to be your main yote hunting spot, build you a shooting house and make it comfy with an old office chair.

ngragg- There are about 8 deer houses out there already that have been there for years. I could sit in one of them too. You think that would be better?>

still learning

I've started fooling w/ coyotes a bit. You've got to beat their nose, ie play the wind, and work the terrain against how they will come in using the wind.

And I am still learing. Febuary is my coyote month.

Went out sunday. Got one shot at about 450 yards. Shot low. I was bucking a 35 MPH wind. No excuses being made here. My bad shot:mad:. taking Friday off to go get him....:D

Bad shots happen man. Just yesterday my buddy and i were at our blind nd he flopped a 20 yard shot with a rifle he shoots 1.5MOA ALL DAY with... literally all day

450yds is quite far for a yote, you should be able to call them to 150 or less.

Nothing wrong with doing it if you and your rifle are capable.

High winds will cause them to be more wary because they gotta trust thier noses. But some may still approach.

2 months ago, on a windy evening, I got one on a drive-by, I didn't even call. It just strolled right by, never saw me sitting in the bush. Some people won't hunt if the wind ain't right, if the moon and stars ain't right ect... I hunt when I get the time...

Still not making excuses,but i think i fell prey to my first Yote ever. excited and nervous,trigger happy. Hope that is all out of me now. I should have tried to call him in closer for sure,but i wanted that yote so bad. Im marking this one up to a green horn( Very Green) mistake that i will not make again. Consentrate and breath this time. I hope by Friday evening i will be posting a pic of my first yote:D

It is very exiting, I get all worked up when I make the first call of the hunt, like turning the crank on a jack in a box. You don't know when its gonna pop.

Well all.Out at 5:30 AM this morning.All set up with scent,decoy(rabbit) and caller before light.But again old Yote eluded me.Did not see a one today.
Planning on heading out AM again Sat and try again. Hope the Yote God is with me then:D

Did you hear any coyotes?

I can suggest that you spend a day out scouting for track, poo, and other indicators of favored spots.

Try to figgure out what they've been eating, and focus calls on that.

Soon, they will want to meet other coyotes so try coyote sounds.

Did you hear any coyotes?

Lord if i only could. Sorry to say i have about a 40% hearing loss. I have the caller 50 yards away from me and i can't hear that on full volume. I do see tracks and my boss (lives were i hunt) say's him and his wife hear them every day. There are lots of deer and a cow farm all with in 5 miles of where i hunt.

He says when they shoot their deer evry year the next day all remains are gone by the next day,so i have to assume there is more than just afew there.

I will keep trying,Im bound to get one sooner or later:eek:

You can tell a lot if you hear them.

Where they're at.

What they're doing.

How many.

Are there females.

Do they know if you are there.

Absence of hearing them does not necessarily mean anything, but for sure hearing them means a great deal.

If I have time I wait to hear them before I start calling.
Plus that gives time for any news of my arrival to be forgotten.

I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss. I hope you are wearing hearing protection to protect the 60% you have left! ;) You said you have the call on "full volume", this could be keping them away. I read where a coyote can pinpoint a mouse's location down to a few feet from 100s of yards away. The have some excellent hearing. They can sense something isn't right when the close the distance and the rabbit is still screaming like a jet engine! Try to start out on low volume and work your way up. Run a minute long burst and sit in silence for 2 or 3 mins or so. Allow the coyote to be hunting the source when it arrives. This is when a motion decoy is worth its weight in gold! :) Repeat this and increase the volume a little each time. Then, when done with the stand, wait several minutes in silence just incase the louder calls are bringing in a distant coyote! Keep reviewing your hunts and learning from them. Try to figure out what can be improved and it wil happen!

Thanks for the pointers jj. I never thought about that. I will give it a try. This caller has 15 different sounds on it and the only one i use is the rabbit in distress call and once every now and then the mouse call. I have a lot to learn and im working on it,Thanks to all your and other peoples help.:D

Back