Considering a pocket revolver -- but do they actually fit in pockets???

OhioGuy

I've tried two small .380 pocket pistols. One S&W, one Beretta. I found both to be very hard to shoot well, and even harder to draw reliably. I initially carried IWB but after fumbling too many practice draws, figured they were indeed better suited to pockets. They fit pretty well, and in wallet-style holsters don't print like guns at all in kahkis or suit pants. But both also had semi-occasional feeding issues, etc. I've never had full confidence in them, nor in my ability to deploy them when it counts.

(By contrast, I've had numerous 9mm semi-autos of various sizes, and I think I've had a total of 1 malfunction across multiple guns and many thousands of rounds)

For deep concealment, I love the idea of a revolver. I'm especially drawn toward the Smith 442 and the Ruger LCR. I'd consider something from Charter or Taurus. But when I actually handle them, the smallest of the bunch are still pretty big and I can't see actually pocket carrying them in the kinds of pants I wear -- suit, khakis, etc. I mean they're small, but not .380 small. They're roughly the size of my Walther PPS, but thicker due to the cylinder, so it seems I may as well pocket carry the Walther.

I guess what I'm really after is something that can be concealed deep in clothes where IWB isn't very feasible. I've used tuckable holsters, belly bands, etc. but I basically have to undress to reach the dang gun -- hence pocket carry.

Any other scenario in which my shirt can be untucked, and I'll stick to one of my semi-autos in 9mm IWB.

Anyways, to the revolver fans out there -- what about a small, lightweight revolver could make it better suited to my needs? If I could effectively conceal one in a dress pants pocket -- or some other method that's easily accessible -- it would replace a .380 pocket-rocket in a heartbeat. I just don't have faith in those tiny auto pistols.

Thanks!

For deep concealment, I love the idea of a revolver.
I guess what I'm really after is something that can be concealed deep in clothes where IWB isn't very feasible. I've used tuckable holsters, belly bands, etc. but I basically have to undress to reach the dang gun -- hence pocket carry.

Anyways, to the revolver fans out there -- what about a small, lightweight revolver could make it better suited to my needs? If I could effectively conceal one in a dress pants pocket -- or some other method that's easily accessible -- it would replace a .380 pocket-rocket in a heartbeat. I just don't have faith in those tiny auto pistols.

Thanks!
I have this, with "Clip-Draw'....deep in pocket wth just clip showing..Taurus M380

Attachments

• copy 2.jpg
    copy 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 315
Personally, I would make sure the revolver has a covered hammer. They look silly, but that hammer won't be snagging on any clothing as you draw it out.

I used to have a S&W 442. Nice, light little revolver with no exposed hammer to snag. That would fit your requirements nicely.

However, before you give up on pocket pistols you should try a Ruger LC9s (or even the LCP). I carry both (although my LC9s gets carried more on an OWB holster than in the pocket). While a pocket revolver may be as light as an autoloader, there is no getting around that big cylinder bulge.

Why do you think that a "pocket revolver" is intended to go in a pants pocket??
;)

Ok, sure, that's what you want, I don't know your style of dress, but I think only an NAA Mini-revolver would be concealable in dress pants.

Now, in a jacket pocket, its a whole different game.

Any 2" Colt, Ruger or S&W ought to drop right in your coat pocket and be right at home. And, if it doesn,t you don't need another gun, you need another coat! :D

That Taurus is chambered in .380 ACP? It never occurred to me to even ask if it existed. How much smaller is the gun than a comparable .38spl?

Why do you think that a "pocket revolver" is intended to go in a pants pocket??
;)

Ok, sure, that's what you want, I don't know your style of dress, but I think only an NAA Mini-revolver would be concealable in dress pants.

Now, in a jacket pocket, its a whole different game.

Any 2" Colt, Ruger or S&W ought to drop right in your coat pocket and be right at home. And, if it doesn,t you don't need another gun, you need another coat! :D
Ok so dumb question, but what do you do with your revolver when you get inside and have to take off your coat? I know some people really like sticky style holsters because they can carry in a coat pocket, then head to a bathroom and move the gun to their pants pocket or IWB so they can hang up their coat. I like the idea of something being accessible in a coat pocket or otherwise my gun is buried under several layers and I've got gloves on...becomes a paperweight if I need it fast!

I carry a S&W 342 in a pocket holster. It would be the same size as a 442 but weighs a little less. People can tell I have something in my pocket but it doesn't scream revolver. Here is a comparison of pocket revolvers and pocket pistols:

https://youtu.be/GKcQUZYA_go

This is a rather long video but also has some good information on snubbies:

https://youtu.be/Ov3H-_WQwAI
I'll have to pass on that three and a half hour video, but the one from Lucky Gunner was super informative. it never occurred to me how the shape of the grip was different on a revolver and allowed for deeper concealment. I have tried to conceal my PPS deep in something like a smartcarry holster, but so little grip sticks out above my belt that is almost impossible for me to actually get a handle on it. It looks like you can bury the revolver down out of the beltline and still have a hook-shaped grip to get ahold of.

I used to pocket carry a .38 LCR using a DeSantis pocket holster during jacket weather in a jacket pocket. I could never get that combo to fit comfortably into shorts cargo pockets during the summer. Whenever I would arrive at a destination in which I would not be allowed to or did not want to continue carrying in the jacket pocket, i.e. a relative's with kids around, I would leave it locked in the car or discretely unload it and separate the ammo from the revolver.

I carry an LCRX .327 in my pants pocket a lot. It's in a simple Sticky holster and I wear khaki pants or shorts. Yes, it's bulky. But most other people just don't notice. Even my wife and daughter don't notice when I'm carrying. I just make sure when I buy the pants that the pockets are deep enough. I, too, have found that the revolver grip is easier to grasp from the pocket than, say, my Glock 42.

In Texas we don't have to bother with jackets for about 93% of the year, so I don't try carrying in a jacket pocket. When I do wear a jacket, I take it off inside and I don't want to have to shuffle the gun around or leave it in the jacket that might be draped over a chair or something. So pants pocket carry is it for me most of the time.

I think the main thing is, most people aren't going to notice. We who are carrying think about it, but everyone else has their mind on something else.

And the LCRX or LCR in .32 is a great carry revolver. You get an extra round over .38 or .357 and you can choose from .32 Long, .32 H&R and .327 Fed. With .32 H&R you get a light-weight, easy-to-shoot snub.

Your pocket is a very bad place to carry any firearm. Pocket's are magnets for every kind of crappola possible. And a revolver has far more edges to catch on your pants than any pistol.
The term "pocket revolver" is a 19th Century marketing term.

I carry a 642 in my pocket with or without a pocket holster. It doesn't really print like a gun either way. It might eventually print in jeans pockets without the holster, don't know. I usually have cargo pans on. It beats on my leg if in the cargo pocket but works well in the front pocket and I can draw it, can't draw my LC9 out of most pockets.

How big are your pockets?

If they are skinny jeans forget it If they are Robins 5.11 or cargo pants of even chinos they will fit fine.
You need to test the pockets of pants before you buy them big and deep good, tight and shallow no good.

Taurus was on the right track with their .380 revolver, but it's still too big for CONVENIENT pocket carry.
If a major manufacturer built a revolver actually scaled to the size of the .32 acp cartridge, they could sell a lot of them.
Unfortunately, there is no revolver between the NAA stuff and the Taurus.

How big are your pockets?

If they are skinny jeans forget it If they are Robins 5.11 or cargo pants of even chinos they will fit fine.
You need to test the pockets of pants before you buy them big and deep good, tight and shallow no good.
Typically I only consider pocket carry if I can't tuck in my shirt. My shirts cover my Walther PPS appendix, no problem. So the only relevant pants really are khakis or dress pants. My Pico with a holster fits ok in either so long as I'm careful that the back of the grip isn't visible, since dress pockets typically open vertically as slits and something bulky can cause them to open slightly and expose what's in there.

I've tried deep AIWB concealment in a pouch style belly band, and it's doable but it's too hard to grip the weapon most of the time. The lucky Gunner video showed this perfectly, but the revolver grip was much easier to get hold of.

That Taurus is chambered in .380 ACP? It never occurred to me to even ask if it existed. How much smaller is the gun than a comparable .38spl?
I owned a 642 and it's a little shorter than that BUT, it's also lighter with a 'slimmer' cylinder..since its a 5 shot .380..also DAO..no no 'hammer' to be snagged.

Reason I sold the 642 was that is was NO FUN to shoot..the M380 is a breeze..fun, reliable and accurate little snubby...I use G9 defense ammo, very effective.

Back