Considering a j frame

OK, I took the neighbors and an assortment out today.

S&W M642 Airweight
Very unpleasant for all hands him, her1, her2, her3, and ME! I have an old M38 which is somehow less abusive but still not for the fainthearted.
The laser grip was more use than I expected, though.

S&W M640 stainless
Not for fun blasting, but controllable for all.

S&W M10 blue
Now we are getting someplace. No grimaces. Neighbor said "Maybe we need one of those to keep at home and the little gun to carry.

Automatics. Yes, I know what I said but her2 (daughter) and her3 (my colleague) had plastic .380s, Smith and Ruger.
Her2 ought to have got Something Else, Her3 picked the Ruger as replacement for an Airweight for which it is a marginal improvement.

My conclusion: A steel J frame is about as light a .38 as I care to shoot or recommend. K is better if you can fit it into your wardrobe.

After much consideration I put a S&W 642 on layaway today.

I ordered some Bianchi speed strips and I'm looking into holsters (probably gonna get a nemesis and an IWB of some kind).

Still deciding about SD ammo. If I want Speer 135 grain +p I'm gonna have to order them online, but in also considering Winchester pdx1 130 grain +p. Any other suggestions would be excellent.

As far as a recommendation for carry ammo, give the Cor-Bon DPX 110gr.+P a try.

Good penetration and expansion with less recoil than the Gold Dot 135gr. +P.

Still deciding about SD ammo. If I want Speer 135 grain +p I'm gonna have to order them online, but in also considering Winchester pdx1 130 grain +p. Any other suggestions would be excellent.

With fixed sights, you may want to try a variety of ammo to find what your gun shoots to point of aim. Hornady's 110 grain Critical Defense and the 110 grain +p Critical Defense are some more options.

2damnold4this I am planning on trying several rounds. I am interested in the critical defemse rounds because I use them in my 9mm and 45 carry guns but I have read mixed reviews on the 110 grain +p round.

I found a local holster guy who can make the IWB holster I'm looking for too.

Absolutely love my 642. I just don't find the recoil to be an issue whatsoever. It is a great little shooter at fighting distances.

Ive carried Airweight's in the past before I switched to the scandium PD line, while nice revolvers, neither can hold a candle to the LCR. Trust me when I say I've been a died in the wool Colt & Smith fan who at one time swore I wouldn't ever mess with anything like an LCR. But after getting some trigger time on one years ago I was hooked, they utterly trump the Airweights. Better triggers, better grips, better carry profile, lighter, softer recoil, and even better price.

Kahr PM9, 6+1, true pocket gun, S&W Airweight, .38spcl, 5 rounds, light easy carry, a tad bigger than the Kahr, Glock G26, 10+1, subcompact, but no pocket gun.

fd24c540-89c6-4be5-a877-b17a660febbd_zpsxbs2dx5x.jpg

J-frames are great but for hammerless, I have to give it to the LCR. The LCR's stock grips add to the profile but they sure make shooting comfortable. They are the most controllable two-fingered grip I've ever handled. If you have a friend with one or a local range that rents, get out and shoot an LCR. See if you can shoot the comparable J-frame too. It's the only way to really know.

This type of gun can seem a bit much for pocket carry but it really depends on your build, what kind of pants you wear, and having the right pocket holster. Once you get that figured out, it becomes one of the easiest and most convenient ways to carry. That ensures that you do carry. :)

BTW, the new LCR 327 is a six-shooter with more power than 9mm +p and less recoil than .357 magnum. Just something to consider...

j frame

Consider a j frame 60-15. I have one with a 3 inch barrel. Sure it kicks like a son of a... with 357 magnum rounds, but its good for backpacking. I wouldn't use it for hunting bear, but sure would use it to defend myself against one. I can fit my stubby 38 j frame in the back pocket of my jeans. you cant with this gun, but goes in easily in the waist band.

Also with it on your hip you wont notice it. well at least I don't compared to a 44 mag on you hip.

Last edited:
I have carried a S&W mod.36 chief 2" 5 shot revolver for over 15 years. Never leave home without it. It becomes a part of you after a while. Great piece , it's up there with the big boys. Be Safe & be ready.

I picked up the 642 tonight after work, planning to hit the range in the morning. So far I'm impressed with the quality, and the trigger pull (hard and long but pretty smooth for out of the box).

Going to put some 130 grain FMJ, 158 FMJ, and 110 grain +p HP through it tomorrow.

I grabbed a desantis nemesis when I picked up the gun, and will hopefully have the custom IWB holster by this weekend.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Very good choice. A DAO internal hammer best way to go for a self defense weapon. Train from 7-21' they make a 12 shot bullet case is always good to keep close. Keep it clean try to wipe it down once a week, lint builds up quick on a carry gun. Good luck with it. Be safe & be ready.

Made it to the range this morning, must say I'm impressed with this little gun.

I didn't find the recoil too bad except for some 158 grain Magtech FMJ I shot- which was not enjoyable. Recoil with the 130 grain WWB was not bad. The 110 grain +P hornady critical defense hollow points were snappy but still very shootable.

I put a total of 60 rounds through it at 5 and 7 yards, and kept them all center of mass. Looking forward to shooting and carrying this one.

Thanks for the help everyone!

How do y'all carry speed strips? I will carry the gun in the Right Front pocket, but still have keys, a wallet, and a knife to carry.

I always put mine in the watch pocket. And I always forgot they were there, and found them in the wash. :rolleyes:

On a positive note, all those rounds fired in practice latter. :)

Speed strip in the watch pocket, keys in left pocket, wallet in right rear pocket, cell phone in left side belt holster. NOTHING else in the right front except LCR and Desantis Nemesis holster. I don't carry a knife except on my key chain - probably should.

Edit: I also will put the speed strip in the left front pocket with the keys in pants that don't have a watch pocket.

Back