Considering a j frame

oneloudvous

Hey yall,

Like the title says I'm considering a j frame, primarily a 442 or 642. I carry a 9mm shield IWB 95% of the time (1911 5% of the time) and want something I can pocket carry in a few situations. I thought about a .380 but don't really want to add another caliber (I have a ruger new model Blackhawk convertible 9mm/38/357).

I'm looking for overall thoughts on the 442/642, recoil compared to a 9mm shield (I understand ammo choice makes a huge impact here), and concealed carry ease.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for overall thoughts on the 442/642, recoil compared to a 9mm shield (I understand ammo choice makes a huge impact here), and concealed carry ease.

I don't know about the Shield. I find the recoil with the stock plastic boot grips uncomfortable in the 642. Fortunately, there are many alternatives.

J-frame .38 snub noses are one of the greatest CCW handguns ever made. Powerful for their size, unmatched reliability, accurate once you learn how to shoot them. With a proper set of grips, recoil even with +P loads is manageable. Anyone who complains about the recoil is probably using poor form, or is physically weak in the hands.

Get one.

They are incredible weapons. Many people use a J-frame as primary carry, including myself. No other finer CCW out there IMHO.

I have a couple of 642s, and have had a bunch of other J frames over the years. With realistic ammo, they really arent very pleasant to shoot, which makes practice a bit tedious. Anymore, a box of 50 at an outing is all my hand can take. You have to practice regularly to stay on top of them, and I do, but only out of necessity.

I dont have a Shield, but I do have Glock 26's, and they have replaced my 642's (and a couple of other things) as back ups. +P+ 9mm out of the Glocks is nothing, and you can shoot them all day long without any discomfort. +P .38's on the other hand.....meh.

Id highly suggest you find someone who has one, and try them out if youre not sure.

Anyone who complains about the recoil is probably using poor form, or is physically weak in the hands.
Form or weak hands arent a problem I have. With realistic grips meant for maximum concealment, and +P level loads, they beat your hand up good.

I haven't fired a Shield, it's on my to do list, but a 642 isn't a hard recoiling revolver depending on the load and the grips. I imagine that a j frame Airweight or Airlight will be much more difficult to shoot well than a Shield.

The sights on a 642 are not going to be as good as the sights on a Shield. With a pinned sight j frame, you can change the front sight to something you can see. I use an XS Big Dot on my 342.

I can shoot my G26 more accurately than my two concealed carry worthy J frames (a 642 and a 342) but the J frames are much easier to tote. If I'm planning to pocket carry, a j frame gets the nod. Despite the width of the cylinder, a j frame carries easier than the G26 inside the waistband due to it's shape. An unloaded 642 is going to weigh about 1/4 lb less than an empty Shield and almost 5 oz less than a g26. You can cut more weight off the 642 by going to wooden J frame boot grips than can be found here. Wooden grips carry easier for me, whether it's pocket carry or AIWB but they are not as shooting friendly. A 342 is 3 oz lighter than a 642 assuming the same grips, etc.

When I carry a revolver, I usually select the 342 with the XS big dot because it's hard for me to see the 642's sights quickly. I use modified uncheckered "Batelour" grips from Altamont. These grips cover the backstrap and place my hand far enough back to get my finger where it needs to be on the trigger. I modified the left side grip to work with Safariland speed loaders. When doing hard, physical work in the shop in warm weather, it's more comfortable to carry than the G26 AIWB and it's almost like it's not there when it's in a pocket.

J frames take practice to shoot well, so don't get discouraged when you first shoot yours. The bonus to shooting j frames is that when you get better at shooting yours, you'll shoot your Shield better.

I don't have poor form; I don't have weak hands; I am not small at 225 lbs; I can triple tap a 629 44 mag within 3" group at 50 feet. But I do not like +P rounds in Airweights. They are great guns with reasonable ammo, but I can shoot 357 mag out of a S&W 640 more comfortably.

Just to add, grips that fit your hands make a big difference in perceived recoil and controllability. With these grips link the 342 was uncomfortable to shoot. With something like an Uncle Mikes rubber boot grip, the S&W rubber boot grip, the Pachmayr grip that covers the backstrap or properly fitted wooden grips, it's much more shootable. The 642 is not bad to shoot with the factory rubber boot grips and the wooden boot grips from Altamont aren't bad. With the Pachmayer grips or Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips, it would be even easier to shoot a 642.
If you decide to carry +p ammo, I would shoot some of it to ensure reliability and point of aim but practice with standard pressure loads that shoot to the same point of aim.

I carry standard pressure Hornady Critical defense in the 642 and Speer 135 grain +Ps in the 342 because that it what shoots to point of aim in those fixed sight guns. For a reload, it's hard to beat Critical defense in a speed loader because it has such a pointy shape.

If carry weight is your number one priority then there ya go. I just can't get on with the airweights or LCR38. I pocket carry the LCR357 and it is heavier but I'm willing to make that compromise for the better control and less felt recoil.

I love my snub 38. It has an alloy frame, so it's light and easy to carry. It is plenty accurate for SD. It will be in my back pocket tomorrow morning when I am walking the dog.

I don't find the recoil to be troublesome. I prefer shooting it to shooting my "pocket nine".

Please post pictures! :)

I have a 638. Its very accurate, and the sights are perfect at 7 yards. Its uncomfortable to shoot more than 10 rounds at a time. The factory S&W boot grip will jam up an HKS speedloader. The DA trigger is stiff, SA is excellent. I know you said "J Frame". If you mean J Frame size, then there are a few others I would recommend, with higher capacity. The Charter Arms Police Undercover is a 38 +P rated 6 shot revolver. The Rossi 461 or 462 are a J Frame sized 6 shot in 357. I have both of these, and they both have a better DA trigger pull than my 638, and I wouldn't have any reservations trusting either.

Ruger now offers an LCR chambered in 327 Federal Magnum. Its also a 6 shot, and J Frame sized.

I had a 640 and ultimately got rid of it because I couldn't hit anything double action. I prefer any j model with single action capability. You can practice covering the hammer with your thumb on the draw to prevent snagging.

If you want 357 check out the Ruger sp101, much nicer to shoot in that caliber.

I had a S&W 642 (twice), and as much as I loved the platform, I didn't like the gun. Then I got my hands on a S&W 640-1 357. The extra weight makes the J frame a much more shootable gun, and gives the option for 357s if desired. I personally carry 38s, but to each his own.

I really liked my 642 , I say liked because my wife claimed it to reside permanently in her handbag .
It came fitted with the CT laser grips from S&W and for my big hands the room it afforded for my pinky finger was very comfortable and recoil with 38 sp was minimal, +p was a bit stouter , as expected but still manageable.
Wish I could get if from her but no dice,,, she's in love.

newattachment.php

Attachments

• 642 ct 003.jpg
    642 ct 003.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I resisted a J-frame for a long time thinking I wouldn't like such a small gun.

Then I tried one. A S&W 442 and a 642 both. Now I think they're the best carry guns ever with one exception. I change the grips on the J's to Hogue Recoil Tamers and they pretty well take care of the recoil problem. Do you have to practice with them? Sure you do. You should with anything. A dab of orange nail polish helps with the small sights.

The one exception? My old Colt Cobra in 38. About the same size/weight as a J-frame, but one more shot.

But you can't walk into a gun store and buy a new Cobra. Edge to the 642.

I have a 642 that I pocket carry every day. I've been carrying it in my weak side front pocket in one of those uncle mike's pocket holsters. They are great guns...but not perfect. Buy a new one and you'll have a lifetime warranty to take care of any issues down the road.

I also have a 640 (stainless 357) and a 442...just in case I need a spare or two.

They are wonderful little revolvers. I picked up a 442 for my dad as a fathers day gift and shoot a friends 638 quite a bit, they are fun and great for CCW. I agree with others in this thread, it does grow a bit tedious, at most 50 rounds is about all I am good for on a range outing.
Now I just need to get my own..:D

I pocket carry a S&W 442 on days where I expect lots of hugging from family (weddings) or on days where a IWB holstered semi-auto might not be appropriate.

I'm not impressed with the accuracy or DAO trigger of the 442 but it will do the job of a point blank "get off me" gun.

I'm not a fan of pocket carry but, as mentioned, do use it occasionally. My biggest beef is it's slow to access from the seated position in a vehicle.

13601931194_b3e73bee04.jpg

Last edited:
642 is my most frequently carried handgun. I like it. I have never shot a Shield so I have no basis for comparison.

I use the stock grips. Going up to larger grips to help with recoil makes it less suitable for pocket carry, which is how I carry it. So I just deal with the recoil. I've been shooting enough years where recoil doesn't really bother me much. I notice it but just don't worry about it too much.

Back