Church--Carry or no carry?

No one has to know you are carrying. Given the way the world is today I think it a prudent thing to do.

In Ohio it is illegal to carry in a church (and a whole bunch of other places defined by the legislature) in one section of the statute. In another section there is apparently permission for the congregation to decide for itself if it wants to allow ccw.
May God bless,
Dwight

What a great thread!
I personally agree with many on the idea; If a BG followed the rules to start with, I wouldn't need to carry in church. Which I do every week! :)

FWIW, considering I'm new here, I absolutely agree.

Dave, it's worth as much as the opinion of those who have been here longer.

Now, how much that is worth is an open question. :D

Anyway, welcome aboard!

So much for turning the other cheek. (teasing)

Serious question: would you carry in a Quaker Meetinghouse or JW Kingdom Hall (keeping in mind these are religious pacifist groups)?

In VA, the law says I can only CCW in a place of worship "for good reason" -- but doesn't spell out what a good reason is. The doublebind there is that it's left to me to interpret whether or not to carry, but up to a prosecutor and judge or jury to decide whether I guessed correctly or not.

Serious question: would you carry in a Quaker Meetinghouse or JW Kingdom Hall (keeping in mind these are religious pacifist groups)?

Serious answer - No. I respect private property rights. They are every bit as important to liberty as the RKBA.

So, I exercise my freedom not to go there! I know somebody will say "Those institutions (and businesses that forbid carry) are infringing on MY rights. "

Wrong. They are exercising THEIRS. Unless you are COMPELLED to go to that business, your rights have not been touched.

Okay, not trying to get off topic, but this has gotten me thinking. My CWP should be coming in the mail any time, and I plan on carrying a small .38 revolver IWB. I also teach childrens church, and the kids often hug me. How can I avoid them hitting and noticing that lump on my waist? I don't know that I'd be comfortable with an ankle holster, but I may have to give it a try.

" A Samuria is never without his sword, for a Samurai's sword is part of his soul, If a Samurai leaves his sword he has left a part of his soul."

I agree, I never leave home without it, my .45 kimber sword goes everywhere I go.

My NRA certified handgun course, (required by the state of Ohio for CCW :barf: ) . There were 10 people from a local church, including the pastor. Dont mess around in that chapel on sundays! :eek: :D

Carried before and would carry again I carry something everywere I go or I don t go Makes wife very unhappy sometimes.

I also teach childrens church, and the kids often hug me. How can I avoid them hitting and noticing that lump on my waist? I don't know that I'd be comfortable with an ankle holster, but I may have to give it a try.
Been there, done that, Brother! May I suggest something on the order of a Lou Alessi pocket pocket (like the one my Kel Tec sits in). This will work nicely for those moments when a 1911 may dent the forehead of a little one (yours or someone else's) trying to give you a hug. ;)

http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept_id=10&pf_id=AH-PH

Back