Choice of handgun for Home Defense

What Wyosmith told you in post #9 is very true and very good advice, I agree with what he says.

Here's my thoughts on what gun to purchase other then a shotgun, however a good short barrel 12ga pump is pretty hard to beat as a home defense weapon.

You made the statement whatever you choose may be for home defense as well as concealed carry.

If there's a gun store with an indoor range near you that rents guns, go rent and shoot as many different models as possible.
If this is not possible contact friends that may have several different types of handguns in different calibers and see if they will let you shoot them.
The ideal is to try as many different calibers and handguns as possible to find what works best for you.

Whatever you choose, practice using your handgun until the handgun is an extension of yourself and you are very proficient with it, this includes safe handling skills.

If you do this, guns with safeties are not a problem.

As a matter of fact if you choose a double action gun with a heavy trigger pull and don't practice you will most likely shoot low with it and miss what you are shooting at completely, this is not good in a gunfight.

Follow the advice Wyosmith gave you in post #9, along with that you can't train to much for a bad situation, and when things get bad use what's between your ears, keep thinking.

In closing I hope you are never faced with having to take a life to defend a loved one or yourself, it's not a pleasant thing.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

My choice is my Ruger SR1911. I'm a newbie, so that's my only choice besides a S&W MP22 that I own.

I keep it in my nightstand, BUT I don't keep it cocked and locked as a sort of safety against my sleepiness - just a magazine full of JHP's. But should I worry about it? Am I being too much of a paranoid newbie by not keeping it cocked and locked?

Yes. You are. Load it up properly and keep the safety on. Top it off with a +1 as well. Come on buddy!!!

I have several that my wife and I like. I have a new ( to me) H&K USP 40 Compact. Just got it and I love it. Going to shoot it tomorrow. Used to have a full size and loved that one so I know I will like this one.

We have 2...

FNP-45 USG 14-15 rounds (depending on the magazine) of 45ACP with a veridian green laser

Walther P99 AS 15 rounds of 9mm with a veridian light

A 4" .357 that you have practiced with and are familiar with will do nicely 95% of the time-the other 5% will addressed in the graduate seminar. Make sure you have comfortable grips.

I agree a S&W 4 inch 357 is a very good choice. As far as ammo, I have a variety with no particular loyalty. Corbon, Speer, Hornady, Winchester, Remington would all do the job. Since I happen to have a drawer with a variety of ammo I load mine with a pair of Speer 135gr, a pair of Winchester 145 Silvertips and a pair of Magtech 158gr.

For a home defense handgun, I like a full size service or duty weapon since weight or concealment isn't an issue. Since you did mention that it may also serve as a carry gun down the road, I would look at some of the mid sized choices (i.e. Commander, g19, k-smith, etc.).

The OP asked for
best choice of handgun for Home Defense with the possibility of concealed carry down the road

Forget the shotguns, and possibly the full size range guns. Find the gun that you would actually consider carrying, and it most likely would work at home as well.

If you do get more than one gun, I would suggest getting them in the same platforms, (same type of safeties, same type of triggers).

I usually carry a .45 acp 1911 when I can but my bedside gun is a SW Model 65 loaded with +P .38s. As others have noted, 3 a.m. is no time to worry about safeties and such. Simplicity is the key.

"But if you have kids or a wife or a girlfriend or room-mates, then just keep a flashlight near your pistol.
That way you don't have to point your pistol at one of your loved ones just to light them up."

Rule #3

A verbal challenge (who's there!) works just as well - unless you have a deaf person in the house. This way you don't have to wait until you're at the brink of using deadly force to identify friend from foe.

training trumps weapon chose

Choose a service caliber hand gun that you shoot well and are comfortable with it's operation. Then get some good training so you don't get you self killed while protecting your family. :)

Out of the guns I have, my designated home defense gun is:
Springfield XDm 3.8 9mm 19 round +1. If you want to carry it, it also comes with a flush 13 round mag.

Back